Deid Accomodations

Reading these Deid threads prior to arriving in January had me walking around with my fangs out ready to rip the first asswipe crossing my "repsectful" line.

With the temps on the rise, the first signs about sweaty PT gear being forbidden in the chow halls just went up the other day.

Overall, uniform regulation zealots are few and far between (in fact I havent seen one). Not bad at all.

Reading these Deid threads prior to arriving in January had me walking around with my fangs out ready to rip the first asswipe crossing my "repsectful" line.

With the temps on the rise, the first signs about sweaty PT gear being forbidden in the chow halls just went up the other day.

Overall, uniform regulation zealots are few and far between (in fact I havent seen one). Not bad at all.

Do you have a copy of the Unifor supplement? Last time I was there, Crocs were allowed. Is that still the case?

Do you have a copy of the Unifor supplement? Last time I was there, Crocs were allowed. Is that still the case?

4.1.13. Footwear: conservative (plain, no bright/loud colors or excessive ornamentation) athletic shoes are the primary footwear. Crocs, sandals, water shoes are not considered athletic shoes for purposes of this instruction. Shower shoes, flip-flops, sandals, Crocs are only authorized for wear to and from the “Cadillac’s” (toilets/showers), and within the confined area of the CC Outdoor and BPC Indoor Pools. Temporary stops are not authorized (i.e. quick stops to the DFACs, laundry, smoking pits, Memorial Plaza, Desert Eagle Lounge or BX area).

PM your .mil and I'll email the supplement to you.

I have to say this place is way better than when I left in 08. Things that we got yelled at for then (BBQing/dragging tables to the rocks to smoke/etc) is now legit. I've had no one yell across the chow hall or anything for my sunglasses and have even walked to the shitter and back without hearing a peep. Also if you're near one of the new caddies they're nice. O'Club just opened (not what you think, people tried the first night and were told to pound sand) but it's in BPC. BPC can't tell you and don't care, I have no reason to go over there. The trailer park is still what it has always been but everybuilding has a wifi antennae on it. Depending on where your room is you get good or bad internet. This place has changed alot over the years and finally I think it's for the better.

Cooter

PS Given all that, there are WAY too many support people out here and yet customer service no matter where you go...BLOWS as always. So you got that to look forward to.

I have to say this place is way better than when I left in 08. Things that we got yelled at for then (BBQing/dragging tables to the rocks to smoke/etc) is now legit. I've had no one yell across the chow hall or anything for my sunglasses and have even walked to the shitter and back without hearing a peep. Also if you're near one of the new caddies they're nice. O'Club just opened (not what you think, people tried the first night and were told to pound sand) but it's in BPC. BPC can't tell you and don't care, I have no reason to go over there. The trailer park is still what it has always been but everybuilding has a wifi antennae on it. Depending on where your room is you get good or bad internet. This place has changed alot over the years and finally I think it's for the better.

Cooter

PS Given all that, there are WAY too many support people out here and yet customer service no matter where you go...BLOWS as always. So you got that to look forward to.

Agree with most except couldn't disagree more about the new Caddy's...they are horrible. They smell bad, have pools of standing water on the floor, showers have no hot water/water pressure, shitter doors are already falling off...etc. etc. I walk a half mile to go to an old caddy to shower now, well worth the 10 minute walk.

• 1 year later...

Several members of my crew & I are considering the ITT-sponsored "Deep Sea Fishing Trip" from Doha. Anyone tried it? Cost is around $130 bucks, so we want to make sure it's worth it.... Due to our flying schedule, we need to plan pretty carefully any downtown trips, we can't "just go"....

ETA: Also, any recommendations for/against any of the other ITT trips, or advice on places to go in Doha on our own, will be welcome!

Edited by Jughead

Guest superD

I too will be spending my summer at OTBH. Just curious if anybody had use one of the wireless range extenders and if it was worth the money/if it worked at all.

Just curious if anybody had use one of the wireless range extenders and if it was worth the money/if it worked at all

FWIW...last time I was there (around Thanksgiving) the OG was on a witch hunt for dudes using the extenders claiming that they ruined the connection/speed for everyone else and threatening anyone who was using one with paperwork. But from what I hear they work great...

I too will be spending my summer at OTBH. Just curious if anybody had use one of the wireless range extenders and if it was worth the money/if it worked at all.

Get one. As long as it is in your room and not on a pole outside it's legal. I have a ubiquiti nanostation2 (google it), and it works great. No bars to 4 bars and skype in the room.

• 3 months later...

Get one. As long as it is in your room and not on a pole outside it's legal. I have a ubiquiti nanostation2 (google it), and it works great. No bars to 4 bars and skype in the room.

I got the Nanostation 2 from Amazon based on your recommendation. Thank you. It was a pain to set up, I didn't realize there were no instructions in the box until I was already here...and that I needed 2 ethernet cables (poor planning). I googled the setup guide from the Bra and downloaded it and got some cables. 20 minutes later I had connection and was cruising the interwebs.

If you go with this antennae you may have to get creative with the placement in order to get a signal. I ended up taping mine outside to the AC unit...I hope it stands up to the heat/humidity.

Edited by snizz

If you go with this antennae you may have to get creative with the placement in order to get a signal. I ended up taping mine outside to the AC unit...I hope it stands up to the heat/humidity.

Be careful there, CE loves to come around and yank those off. I put mine against the glass of the window. Putting wi-fi antennas up on the AC housing is not allowed. I guess it ruins the "ambiance" they are going for.

Headed to the CAOC in the fall for 6 months. From what I understand, I'll be in the BPC. Is this correct? Any updates on living there wrt internet, dorm rooms, etc?

I'm in the BPC dorms for another 5.5 mnths. Wireless is really good. I'm in the far end room and my wireless is fine for skype and web surfing. Rooms are really spacious (compared to the trailers.) Really close to the BPC chowhall/gym/bx. Fox sports bar and CC are only a 10 min walk. No complaints here. Enjoy your stay. PM me wiht any questions.

Planephlyer

Just arrived in Deidville for a 179. As a staff weenie, I can't speak to life for the aircrews, but generally speaking life is pretty damn comfortable here. I was a little disappointed to discover that even as a Major I'm in the trailers for 1-2 months, but overall I can't find much to complain about. I was here 4 years ago and Coalition Compound/Trailertown is almost the same with the Fox Sports Bar being the exception.

The biggest difference from 4 years ago is that due to all the new BPC construction, trailertown is so much less crowded. No more shaving with 40 of your closest friends. Oh, and no more ration cards--beers are tracked on your CAC card.

Wi-Fi is good in the trailers but not great. I've been able to skype from the room with no booster but there's been some episodes of marginal connectivity.

Lots of hokey rules but good food and very comfortable living. 2 BXs, swimming pools, movie theaters, sports bar and O club, library, community center, nice fitness centers. And downtown Doha is not too shabby either.

Edited by DUNBAR

• 1 year later...

...as a Major I'm in the trailers for 1-2 months, but overall I can't find much to complain about.

...Oh, and no more ration cards--beers are tracked on your CAC card.

Wi-Fi is good in the trailers but not great. I've been able to skype from the room with no booster but there's been some episodes of marginal connectivity.

Lots of hokey rules but good food and very comfortable living. 2 BXs, swimming pools, movie theaters, sports bar and O club, library, community center, nice fitness centers. And downtown Doha is not too shabby either.

Is this all still about the same? Heading out in a few months for my mid-career, re-blueing, punishment tour... I seriously hope my job isn't power point and emails.