HH-60 Information

Guest troxm25

Guest troxm25

How long is the flight training for the HH-60?

I am considering a move from the Army to the USAF Air Guard and will require an HH-60 transition. I am qualified and current in the UH-60 and will require just the flight training (Not UPT!). Also, I am SERE-C qualified and will not have to re-attend any SERE training. Fortunately!! Trying to workout the time line.

Thanks in advance.

Guest JorryFright21
How long is the flight training for the HH-60?

I am considering a move from the Army to the USAF Air Guard and will require an HH-60 transition. I am qualified and current in the UH-60 and will require just the flight training (Not UPT!). Also, I am SERE-C qualified and will not have to re-attend any SERE training. Fortunately!! Trying to workout the time line.

Thanks in advance.

There's a lot that goes into it. With you being current and qualified you'll most likely go through some form of an expedited course, but that depends on your hours and experience. A new co is current and qualified, but he's still going to go through the whole program. Otherwise it's about 6 months long at Kirtland.

Hope that helps. There are some smarter 60 guys than myself on the board, so maybe you'll get a better answer.

Guest rotorhead

Since you said ANG, there is indeed a variety of options.

Like Jorry said, one would normally go through the entire 6 month pain at Kirtland.

You could endure the entire course.

You could endure the entire course, but proficiency advance several rides (weeks).

Your ANG unit could send you for whatever portion they desire...for example, they may send you for Trans/EPs/Instruments/DayTac, then have you return to the home unit for the night stuff. It depends on you and the unit. You are not automatically exempt from any portion, though, because of your current Army status. You'll get the training, it is just a question of Kirtland or home unit.

Since you said ANG, there is indeed a variety of options.

Like Jorry said, one would normally go through the entire 6 month pain at Kirtland.

You could endure the entire course.

You could endure the entire course, but proficiency advance several rides (weeks).

Your ANG unit could send you for whatever portion they desire...for example, they may send you for Trans/EPs/Instruments/DayTac, then have you return to the home unit for the night stuff. It depends on you and the unit. You are not automatically exempt from any portion, though, because of your current Army status. You'll get the training, it is just a question of Kirtland or home unit.

I was just at KIRK for upgrade, and the Transition Course (for those who are coming over from Hueys, 53s, and Navy/Army) is approx 5 months long. There were 2 former Navy dudes, both qualified in the SH-60, who were doing this course. One was going to stay AD and be an IP at KIKR, and the other was hired by the 301st (Patrick - Reserves). He was going through as a 60 -1 IP, then once he gets mission experience he'll get Tac IP.

Which unit is hiring you?

I was just at KIRK for upgrade, and the Transition Course (for those who are coming over from Hueys, 53s, and Navy/Army) is approx 5 months long. There were 2 former Navy dudes, both qualified in the SH-60, who were doing this course. One was going to stay AD and be an IP at KIKR, and the other was hired by the 301st (Patrick - Reserves). He was going through as a 60 -1 IP, then once he gets mission experience he'll get Tac IP.

Which unit is hiring you?

My classmate, the guy from the navy going to patrick, is currently the most likely path you will take. He did the full Initial qual course with me. Like rotorhead said, it depends on how much your unit can train in house. My classmate ended up going back to patrick for the last 3 or 4 rides.

Good luck we'll see you soon.

My classmate, the guy from the navy going to patrick, is currently the most likely path you will take. He did the full Initial qual course with me. Like rotorhead said, it depends on how much your unit can train in house. My classmate ended up going back to patrick for the last 3 or 4 rides.

Good luck we'll see you soon.

Patrick also has a history of being impatient with the schoolhouse (as does Alaska). If you get hired by either of these two units and then see delays at KIKR, expect to get pulled back to your unit to finish the initial qual.

TOML, how's the 701C mod going so far? When I left they were supposed to start the first bird in Oct...