Ground Stealth

kdwntwn

Saw this on DrudgeReport. Pretty awesome stuff that the Brits have revealed publicly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1811

Fair Use Excerpt:

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.

In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.

The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

Edited by c21guy

Yes, fantasic...This has been in the works for 30 years.

"How the technology works in a combat situation is very sensitive.."

Meaning, if your anywhere near it and paying attention, it's a joke.

Now...you don't have to roll a tank RIGHT up on somthing, which I've been saying for some time, but close enough to get clocked with an EFP.

Perhaps the Brits have a break-though...would be great, but I doubt it.

Likely just ANOTHER prototype doing the same charade...I've seen a number if them...

From 500 yards, they look good...300 yards...you can pick them out prety easily.

Depends on how much vodka you drink on the job, I guess...

BENDY

Now...you don't have to roll a tank RIGHT up on somthing, which I've been saying for some time, but close enough to get clocked with an EFP.

Likely just ANOTHER prototype doing the same charade...I've seen a number if them...

From 500 yards, they look good...300 yards...you can pick them out prety easily.

BENDY

That's a pretty pessimistic view! You might be right but I still thought the article was cool!

Your right, cool.

It's one of many cool things "we" are doing...

THIS one...is still a LONG way from fielding...

A long way.

There are alot of COOL things "we" are very close to fielding...

Minus the SDB, since I was in the biz....

ThAT WAS A COOL LITTA BIAOTCH....

BENDY

Your right, cool.

It's one of many cool things "we" are doing...

THIS one...is still a LONG way from fielding...

A long way.

There are alot of COOL things "we" are very close to fielding...

Minus the SDB, since I was in the biz....

ThAT WAS A COOL LITTA BIAOTCH....

BENDY

Apparently Bender's fallen off wagon and landed face down in a ditch.

SDB is in the fielding stage...

Many good ideas have "landed face down in a ditch" long before the SDB (and during,) it's actually a HUGE success story of the AQ proccess.

I don't think we need it, but it is cool.

We can argue somewhere else...not that I want to avoid public arguement...I don't.

EDIT: I re-read, I see how maybe you think I was saying the SDB was not fielded, sorry. that would make me sound drunk...which..well........I have to deny....so...It's a little bomb...you cancarry alot...it does F things up (I Saw...) It does...

There are so may cooler things, so much closer to real.

Try DIME...anybody ot that one yet?

Edited by Bender

Actually, the light bending thing (their next step) is pretty cool (and supposedly feasable). As for what they are talking about now - well, that'll work well until someone figures out how to put the Debbie Does Dallas disc in the projector.

GP

That's nothing, the USAF is trying to make people disappear left and right!

Cheers! M2

Awesome!! Classic!! M2 RULES!!!! :thumbsup::rock:

OK, serious answer now. We did a little research on this a while back and what I can share with you is that the technique is called Optical Camouflage Using Retro-reflective Projection Technology and there are some good demonstrations on how it works (the stills of which are in the linked document). It has potential but to make it work requires apparatus that at this time would not be practical in the battlefield. Also, other factors may negate its effectiveness.

However, at this point it can be considered a viable concept that has been demosntrated but must be further developed, which is what our Brit buds are looking into...

Cheers! M2

BENDY

On the other hand, what's the normal engagement range for the tank's main gun? If you can get a shot or two off before the enemy tank commander can see you, the cloaking has done its job.