Defense Attache

uhhello

Anyone know somebody who has done this? I'm really leaning towards trying to get one of these slots when i'm done with my tour here in England. Wife will have to get citizenship but that's just a trip to the states and back. I'll also be in for a long bit of training (up to 1 year depending on language). The job really sounds interesting and definitely very few do it. Anybody have any info. I have already emailed the Europe Defense Attache program dude and he has gotten back to me but it was pretty much a canned answer to some of my questions.

Edited by uhhello

Anyone know somebody who has done this? I'm really leaning towards trying to get one of these slots when i'm done with my tour here in England. Wife will have to get citizenship but that's just a trip to the states and back. I'll also be in for a long bit of training (up to 1 year depending on language). The job really sounds interesting and definitely very few do it. Anybody have any info. I have already emailed the Europe Defense Attache program dude and he has gotten back to me but it was pretty much a canned answer to some of my questions.

I thought about trying to do this in Africa (may be worlds different from Europe, I don't know), but didn't get very far. It was a Major's job and I was a newly minted Capt, so I may have just been underqualified. It's a lot about timing, and I wasn't on the VML when they were looking for people there. That being said I talked to a guy who had the same job (in Ghana or Cote d'Ivore or some crap) and he went in as a mid-level Captain. Don't know what your background is, but I was trying for one of the flying jobs, so that might be different. A good DLAB and DLPT score is a must. You need to talk to someone who is there now or has been there recently, and let your boss in on the loop ASAP.

Some info here:

I thought about trying to do this in Africa (may be worlds different from Europe, I don't know), but didn't get very far. It was a Major's job and I was a newly minted Capt, so I may have just been underqualified. It's a lot about timing, and I wasn't on the VML when they were looking for people there. That being said I talked to a guy who had the same job (in Ghana or Cote d'Ivore or some crap) and he went in as a mid-level Captain. Don't know what your background is, but I was trying for one of the flying jobs, so that might be different. A good DLAB and DLPT score is a must. You need to talk to someone who is there now or has been there recently, and let your boss in on the loop ASAP.

Some info here:

should have mentioned that I am a tech sgt. Basically what I'm looking for is someone who knows someone that is actually doing it right now so I can get current info like you said. thanks.

should have mentioned that I am a tech sgt. Basically what I'm looking for is someone who knows someone that is actually doing it right now so I can get current info like you said. thanks.

I work with DATT's on a daily basis. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll see if I can't find someone that is willing to help out.

• 9 years later...
3 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

Holy thread revival!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

There is another thread on C-12s in Africa so it was a toss up. I'm looking for info on attaché assignments in South America for FAOs. A lot of people have heard a lot of different things about the job--I'm trying to get the real scoop. 

16 minutes ago, WheresWaldo said:

There is another thread on C-12s in Africa so it was a toss up. I'm looking for info on attaché assignments in South America for FAOs. A lot of people have heard a lot of different things about the job--I'm trying to get the real scoop. 

Have you reached out to anyone in your community that's gone down that path?

29 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

Have you reached out to anyone in your community that's gone down that path?

I know a few FAOs, but no one that has done the flying attaché gig.

I have always been under the impression that the number listed in the FCG was to the O-6 at the embassy. Never had to call it. 

Waldo, send me a PM with your .mil and I'll be happy to chat with you about being a flying DATT.  Been there recently.  It's a great job, but may not be what you think it is, and is certainly not for everyone...especially in Africa.  

I know a few FAOs, but no one that has done the flying attaché gig.
I have always been under the impression that the number listed in the FCG was to the O-6 at the embassy. Never had to call it. 

From my experience, that number goes to a secretary's desk or the enlisted bubba assigned to the office. What's it hurt to call it?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, herkbum said:

From my experience, that number goes to a secretary's desk or the enlisted bubba assigned to the office. What's it hurt to call it?

I can second that. It just goes to the office and it's either an enlisted or a civilian that answers. But call it and ask the questions. They should be able to help out. 

3 minutes ago, cragspider said:

I can second that. It just goes to the office and it's either an enlisted or a civilian that answers. But call it and ask the questions. They should be able to help out. 

Your friendly neighborhood Intel office can look up more direct numbers for DAO/FAO/A-AIRAs, etc.