F150 commercial

Guest Kegger

Anyone see that Ford F-150 commercial this last Sunday? They supposedly dropped a truck out the back of a Herc attached to a bunch of cables and the truck proceeded to stop the aircraft. At first I was thought no f'ing way that would ever happen, but then I thought of all the false advertisement chit that could nail Ford if it wasn't true -- I still think there is NO way the AF would agree to that, maybe I'll bring up the lawsuit...

True or not, I figured this would be a good time to hear some cool stories of other sweet stuff you crusty old guys have done. :notworthy:

Guest Charles Doty

The F-150 was good, although it would be even more interesting to see an aircraft try to take OFF with a truck trying to stop it.

Now that would sell.

The F-150 was good, although it would be even more interesting to see an aircraft try to take OFF with a truck trying to stop it.

Now that would sell.

Indeed. I wouldn't think there'd be that much resistance to stopping once the engines are at idle.

Now that would sell.

But what if the airplane and truck were on conveyor belts that had the belts spinning at the exact same speed as the tires......

I'm still wondering about the "actual breaking demonstration" tag at the bottom of the screen. On what planet does Ford's advertising think this is true?

HD

I think it's the real deal. We don't know how long it took to stop, or what the brakes looked like when they were done. My car could probably stop that plane given enough runway and if I didn't give a shiz about the brakes afterward. It still look like a cool commercial to me.

The advert states that the vehicle can stop a 30,000lb aircraft, but gives no figure to say over what distance and from what speed. As such, I think that you need to be pretty easy to please to be impressed by it.

And, isn't a C-123K closer to 35,000lb empty weight?

Hey, that's Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, he wouldn't lie to us!

Honestly, Ford would not use this commercial without the proof that this is possible. Heck, taking the wheels off of the F-150 and then tossing it out the back would probably eventually stop the aircraft. This is feasible, but as many have said, not advisable!

Cheers! M2

Guest Charles Doty

Disc brakes are extreamly powerful, so if they did something like adding weight to the truck bed its possible.

I say give this over to the Myth Busters on Discovery.

And on a side note, who really has to stop an aircraft everyday on the way to work. Whats next? Volcano proofing it.