CV-22 out of UPT?

Guest Bulldog

Guest Bulldog

I just track selected, Laughlin 08-07, and was chosen to fly UH-1 at Fort Rucker and was wondering if anyone knows the chances in going to CV-22's upon completion? Also, any good advice for what to expect at Rucker would be appreciated too! Thanks!

Bulldog,

Congrats on going helos. As for CV-22, you'll need to pay some dues first in Huey's and think about CV-22 after first assignment. Though strange things do happen at AFPC and you might get CV-22. Go to the main page and click on helos to get Ft Rucker gouge. Stay in the books and listen carefully reference helo aerodynamics. Best piece of advice is relax your right forearm on your thigh and move the cyclic with just thumb and index finger to develop your control touch. Lastly, thinking about moving the controls is all one must do to move a foot at a time in the hover.

EE

First: The chances depend on many things: total student throughput in FY08, where you rank when you graduate, what your desires are, needs of the Air Force at the time you graduate, etc...

Second: There will be very few CV-22s in FY08 but you can increase your chances by finishing first in your class, letting your class commander know what your desires are, and having the right attitude.

Good luck and enjoy mother Rucker.

from reading the track select/assignment night thread, I can already see there have been at least 2 CV-22s drop out of Rucker recently.

Congrats on helos, you'll have a blast at Rucker. Live in Enterprise. Syllabus has changed a lot since I was there so I don't have much more useful info to add in that regard. Not sure when the first TH-1H comes online, but it'll have a glass cockpit. Guessing you'll still be flying the mighty UH-1H in all its Vietnam glory and bullet hole patches.

Guest JorryFright21
I just track selected, Laughlin 08-07, and was chosen to fly UH-1 at Fort Rucker and was wondering if anyone knows the chances in going to CV-22's upon completion? Also, any good advice for what to expect at Rucker would be appreciated too! Thanks!

Easy solution. Go 60's and fly a real helicopter instead of the CV-22 with no real mission. :thumbsup:

Easy solution. Go 60's and fly a real helicopter instead of the CV-22 with no real mission. :thumbsup:

Oh, did the Hawks pick up the Pave mission now that its going away. I didn't realize you had a mission other than alert?

I KEEED, I KEEED

Nothing but love.

:thumbsup:

Guest Safe&Clear

The Marines are WAY ahead of us on the CV-22. So far ahead they have been putting brand-new 2LTs through our Intermediate Tiltrotor syllabus for over 2 years. When they finish that, they're off to Whiting (Navy Helo) then to their "FRS" at New River.

The takeaway from the first few classes we've trained in the C-12 is that our syllabus needs to be even longer-- quote direct from New River: "More fixed wing instrument, less helo". And "It flies much more like a turboprop than a helicopter."

So we're in the process of adding lots of C-12 hours to the CV-22 syllabus; don't know when it will take effect though.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to realize "We need a UPT syllabus specifically for CV-22 bound guys", and what it will entail. They'll either re-invent the wheel (cause the AF loves to do so) or just copy-cat the Marines (because we let the necessity sneak up on us). It'll be interesting either way.

Guest JorryFright21
The takeaway from the first few classes we've trained in the C-12 is that our syllabus needs to be even longer-- quote direct from New River: "More fixed wing instrument, less helo". And "It flies much more like a turboprop than a helicopter."

This is exactly why I wouldn't want to fly the CV-22. It's a fixed wing with a teeny-tiny bit of hovering at take off and landing. Hovering is what makes a helo great, and you can't do the same kind of hoverwork in a tiltrotor that you can in a helo. I'm not sure why they're even coming out of Rucker for that matter. Seems like they should come out of a fixed wing syllabus and learn how to hover/land in the sim/actual bird.

Guest Safe&Clear
Care to elaborate?

He's speaking of the "footprint" I would assume. The thing is HUGE and not nearly as maneuverable in a hover as a traditional helo. It can't instantly pivot-around to bring guns-on-target (if it had guns...), and I don't think it could do roof-top/ urban pickups either.

Finally, I don't think it can hover along nap-of-the-earth at a slow groundspeed if desired. It's kind of an either/or machine: "haul-ass or hover", from what I've gathered.

Guest JorryFright21
He's speaking of the "footprint" I would assume. The thing is HUGE and not nearly as maneuverable in a hover as a traditional helo. It can't instantly pivot-around to bring guns-on-target (if it had guns...), and I don't think it could do roof-top/ urban pickups either.

Finally, I don't think it can hover along nap-of-the-earth at a slow groundspeed if desired. It's kind of an either/or machine: "haul-ass or hover", from what I've gathered.

Exactly what I was talking about. The downwash created by that thing is incredible. They can't do water work because they'll drown whoever they're trying to pick up! The deal is, it's got a huge fuselage, and small rotors. A helo has a "normal" fuselage and a huge rotordisk. It doesn't take as much energy for that huge rotordisk to keep the helo in the air, but those two small rotordisks have to put out incredible force to keep that monster in the air, therefore the downwash is more than even a MH-47 puts out, which is considerable.

I thought I had heard something about them being able to put one gun on the tail though, maybe I was mistaken. Either way, one gun on the tail doesn't really give me a warm fuzzy. If you're going to do LZ work, I want chalk two in very maneuverable slow flight (which I can't see the CV-22 being able to do, I could be wrong) to be able to put rounds on target, while I'm also swinging my nose to do so if I've got the angle.

• 3 years later...

You PCS to KIKR then immediately go TDY to MCAS New River for about 4-5 months for initial training on the MV-22. Then you come back to KIKR for 5ish months for mission training on the CV. The Osprey break all the time and the MC rate is abysmal so good luck finishing on time at KIKR. Then you PCS to either Hurlburt or Cannon, no dream sheet just needs of the AF

You PCS to KIKR then immediately go TDY to MCAS New River for about 4-5 months for initial training on the MV-22. Then you come back to KIKR for 5ish months for mission training on the CV. The Osprey break all the time and the MC rate is abysmal so good luck finishing on time at KIKR. Then you PCS to either Hurlburt or Cannon, no dream sheet just needs of the AF

I know a guy who is PCSing to Mildenhall after he finishes his time at Kirtland. Total luck of the draw - his flight partner is going to Cannon.

The Osprey break all the time and the MC rate is abysmal so good luck finishing on time at KIKR.

Albuquerque is a good town. Hopefully you're there during the ski season...Sandia Peak is the standard divert when you mx cnx. Unless you're communist and don't ski. You can still go up there to bike if it's not ski season.

Edited by Rainman A-10

Albuquerque is a good town. Hopefully you're there during the ski season...Sandia Peak is the standard divert when you mx cnx. Unless you're communist and don't ski. You can still go up there to bike if it's not ski season.

Disagree...I was wheels on the ground for less than three hours when my Flight Engineer was robbed at gunpoint. My next visit they smashed the window of my rental car in an attempt to steal who knows what.

Disagree...I was wheels on the ground for less than three hours when my Flight Engineer was robbed at gunpoint. My next visit they smashed the window of my rental car in an attempt to steal who knows what.

So?

I said it was a good town. I didn't say it was a puss game!

Let me guess....a candy bar?

• 2 years later...