C130J (Herc) info

PirateAF

I was curious if anyone knows how the mission is at Ramstein for the J? What are the TDYs and deployments(length and locations if possible) like and overall day to day for a new CP over there? Also how's the lifestyle for a family? Thanks in advance!

I wi try to answer your ?'s as I just got here a month ago. Granted I haven't flown yet, due to semiannuals are a premium right now with our ops tempo. Deployments are different over here as to what the rest of AMC does but they are deployments. They were hoping to join the guys in the desert some but that's not going to happen any time soon. For the TDY's just look at a map of Europe, Africa, and the Middle East and you can bet at some point the BTF's have been there or goin there. Day to day for a new co standard like every where else you do your ground job when your not flying. Lifestyle for the family is overall great. As long as your wife just doesn't sit and home and bitch. You live in Germany so get out and travel.

I was curious if anyone knows how the mission is at Ramstein for the J? What are the TDYs and deployments(length and locations if possible) like and overall day to day for a new CP over there? Also how's the lifestyle for a family? Thanks in advance!

Gone a lot on random TDY's all over the place and reacting to whatever weird crap is happening in the area at the time. Be ready to be gone a lot with little notice. Most of the TDY's are a few days, some longer. So far no long term deployments. They have been rumored but that's all they have been.

And the squadron is technically 120% manned on copilots, but everyone is still busy all the time doing all sorts of random stuff. The 120% is an AFPC number.

Overall I would call my experience in the squadron awesome. And your living in Germany.

Edited by MCO

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't call it over saturated. We have a lot of FPs but they aren't hurting too much for hrs. As far as AC/IPs go, we are health but could always use more.

Really? That's news to this FP. The "new normal" isn't really helping much though.

Really? That's news to this FP. The "new normal" isn't really helping much though.

Not flying does not have much to do with manning, just overall commitments, which could change tomorrow.

The squadron is about to pcs a bunch of dudes out though and not a whole lot of fp's coming in. Could be good or bad for those still here.

• 10 months later...

Might be a stupid question but, does anyone know how to turn off the yaw axes when the J autopilot is on? Obivously there are buttons for turning off pitch and lat, but what if a guy wants to dance on the rudder pedals once in awhile... anyway to do that?

thanks!

Speaking of ETAR, what is their ops tempo right now for a new copilot? I'm scheduled to go there after the school house this summer.

I will say this about life at etar. Our ops is busy with the continuing turmoil that is going on it Africa. I would expect to fly about twice a week on average with AMD lines as well. Plus the alerts that we are sitting even with the stateside help. But overall life is good here in Germany. PM me if you want some more info.

Edit for spelling, me no spell good once I've been drinking all that good German Bier.

Edited by cragspider