C130J (Herc) info

PirateAF

I wouldn' t expect Dyess to deploy their Js for another year or so (if they're smart they will hold off as long as possible) but I know some of their younger guys are deploying with the Little Rock bubbas. I'm not sure if this was a volunteer thing in order to get some time under their belts, or if they were tasked to go. Either way its not a bad way for a new FP to go get some experience and flying time.

Dyess will deploy J's before a year from now. There is a plan to draw down H's and send more J's. The details are still being worked and subject to change, but will definitely be out the door before a year from now.

Right now, yes there are some folks going out with other units (41st) to get experience. The airplane arrival schedule has slipped to the right in the short term. It should get back on track shortly.

Edit: spelling and 2nd J-model arrived this past week (1-5 Nov 10)

Edited by Herk Driver

How many flights/sims can you expect at little rock?

Last I heard was 6-7 flights and a checkride, but don't know on the sims. I'm still trying to get info as well. Heading out to school sometime soon.

Guest Hueypilot812

The airplane arrival schedule has slipped to the right in the shot term. It should get back on track shortly.

A lot of that is to accommodate HC/MC-130J deliveries, plus push up the Indian AF deliveries (ie, US trying to secure a solid FMS program with India). Once the initial Rescue/SOF birds are out the doors for operational testing, you'll see more J's headed to DYS.

Guest Hueypilot812

How many flights/sims can you expect at little rock?

The number of sims and flights depends on your syllabus. All qual/instrument phases regardless of syllabi are done in the sim, and you'll check in the sim as well (except you'll have a Form 8 restriction for landings that will be cleared on your first flight line sortie).

As for the syllabi, it's pretty much broken down into "long course" students and "short course" students. Long course studs are primarily UPT grads (PIQ) and crossflows from non-legacy Herk MWS's (PXA). Short course studs are primarily requals and former legacy Herk pilots (PXB).

You'll start in PIQ/PXA/PXB1 (qual) and check in the sim. I don't recall the exact number of sims but long course students get a few more than short course students. You'll start off on the ASMT (Avionics System Management Trainer) then progress to the CPT (Cockpit Procedure Trainer) and then the WST (Weapon System Trainer, ie, the sim). Short course has a handful of ASMTs, a handful of CPTs and something around a dozen WSTs or so. Expect a few more for long-course guys.

The mission phase is denoted by PIQ/PXA/PXB5, and I recall that short course students have around 8 sims or so. Long course dudes get more than double that (since they are unfamiliar with the tac airlift mission).

Flight line training is either 8 flights and a check (total of 9) for PIQ/PXA students, or 6 flights and a check (total of 7) for PXB students. Both syllabi have two night flights, the rest are day rides. Expect the first ride to be a pro-only ride...and all students regardless of syllabus hit the assault zone on ride one.

PM me and I can tell you more about your specific syllabus with regards to the flightline portion.

A lot of that is to accommodate HC/MC-130J deliveries, plus push up the Indian AF deliveries (ie, US trying to secure a solid FMS program with India). Once the initial Rescue/SOF birds are out the doors for operational testing, you'll see more J's headed to DYS.

Yep, aware of those issues. Current slips are for much shorter term problems.

Anyone know the new C-130J bed-down plan? And associated components?

...after Keesler x8, HC-130J to ??, MC-130Js to Cannon, Cannon AFB new J ramp & hanger, Ramstein new J sim, Dyess AFB x28 after forever long, India x6, Danish x4, Israel x?, Norway x?, Canada delivery complete?, The Rock's new SQ ?....

Who & when is next?

(found some info, but not more than posted)

Edited by Swizzle

Decoding for the uninitiated:

ASMT = Wooden warrior dashboard display with working computer interface CNI-MU (SCNS) and a couple working displays

CPT = Full working flight deck simulator minus a gimbal and vis displays

WST = Full-motion FAA certified SIM.

Are all -Js going to AMC units (particularly KDYS) going to be stretches from here on out?

DYS is currently scheduled for at least 24/28 stretch models. The last 4 is a good question. Word on the street at one point was the last 4 would take a while to arrive and they would be transferred from somewhere else; not off the LM assembly line.

Guest 130Grouch

DYS is currently scheduled for at least 24/28 stretch models. The last 4 is a good question. Word on the street at one point was the last 4 would take a while to arrive and they would be transferred from somewhere else; not off the LM assembly line.

Big blue is not buying anything but stretches anymore. The stubbies are supposedly going to the 48th.

Big blue is not buying anything but stretches anymore. The stubbies are supposedly going to the 48th.

Got it, but word right now (and has been for some time) is that the last four DYS tails are not coming off the assembly line. They will be transfer tails that are already in the fleet. I have heard the same about stubbies going to the schoolhouse. The last four DYS tails have not been identified yet as far as I know, so they could be anything at this point.

Edited by Herk Driver
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to the -130J world (formerly flew vipers) and headed to ETAR this summer. I am trying to get smart on what to expect as far as mission, lifestyle, assignments, etc.

-What is the current deployment schedule look like?

-Do ETAR crews deploy just like everybody else or do they take more trips than deployments? I understand if you guys don't want to address that one here.

-Are Co's upgrading to AC at min time or is there a back log?

-Are assignments still 4 years?

-What are typical 2nd assignments? Ops to Ops, UPT, etc.

-Is the plan still to stand up 2 squadrons at DYS followed by another at LRF?

Thanks, and looking forward to getting into Tac Airlift!

I'm new to the -130J world (formerly flew vipers) and headed to ETAR this summer. I am trying to get smart on what to expect as far as mission, lifestyle, assignments, etc.

-What is the current deployment schedule look like?

-Do ETAR crews deploy just like everybody else or do they take more trips than deployments? I understand if you guys don't want to address that one here.

-Are Co's upgrading to AC at min time or is there a back log?

-Are assignments still 4 years?

-What are typical 2nd assignments? Ops to Ops, UPT, etc.

-Is the plan still to stand up 2 squadrons at DYS followed by another at LRF?

Thanks, and looking forward to getting into Tac Airlift!

- Co's have been upgrading min time ~18 months, but expect that to change now that there is not an AC void

- overseas assignments are 2 years if your single, 3 if you are married, normally with the option to extend a year for both. Stateside is 4 years

- Most guys from ETAR recently have done Dyess or Cannon for slick J's or AFSOC J's, some have gone to Little Rock as well. J model guys are high demand right now, but you have 3 to 4 years so things could change. With multiple squadrons standing up though it will probably remain similar.

Thats all I've got, I'll let someone who knows more about the other questions answer them.

• 1 year later...

I was curious if anyone knows how the mission is at Ramstein for the J? What are the TDYs and deployments(length and locations if possible) like and overall day to day for a new CP over there? Also how's the lifestyle for a family? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Baronhazel
  • Upvote 1

I was curious if anyone knows how the mission is at Ramstein for the J? What are the TDYs and deployments(length and locations if possible) like and overall day to day for a new CP over there? Also how's the lifestyle for a family? Thanks in advance!

Currently they are 120% manned (what my Sq/CC said). My friend who is over there now said that Copilots are not flying.