C130J (Herc) info

PirateAF

I am working on my masters and looking for info about the flight controls on a C-130J. Do they have cables and pulleys like the old models or are they fly by wire. I know the engines have a FADEC system, but I can't find anything that talks about the flight controls. Any help or links would be great. The Lockheed site is quite vague.

Thanks

Yes it has cables and pulleys like the old models, BUT! The big problem is those cables and pulleys will break and fly apart causing an epic crash and burn because the Jay doesn’t have an Engineer or Navigator to tell the Aircraft Commander what to do so they can accomplish the mission in a safe, timely, and most importantly, stylish manner.

Good luck on your paper.

• 3 months later...

Anyone heard any recent RUMINT as to the next squadron at Little Rock to convert to Js, and when?

This week's current rumor is that the 61st is supposed to go J next. However, stand by for change...

Guest Hueypilot812

I had thought it was the 53d, since they've only got that one (or is it two now) airplane on the ramp.

I had thought it was the 53d, since they've only got that one (or is it two now) airplane on the ramp.

The 53rd uses everyone elses aircraft, so the number of tails with "53" written on them is irrelevant. The 61, 50, and 53 are all dual H3/E qual'd and use each others birds. The 53rd was not replaced by the 41st, the 41st was deactivated at pope and stood up at LRF as a J squadron, whereas the 53rd was deactivated as an AETC squadron and stood up immediately after as an AMC squadron with initial cadre from the 61/50th.

Guest Hueypilot812

I know the 53rd uses everyone else's tails (but there is one black tail on the ramp). I thought the rationale behind not giving the 53rd their own aircraft was they were supposed to be a J squadron within 5 years of so of them standing up as an AMC squadron. On another note, Yokota's J conversion was turned off I'm hearing, and there's no real answer on what's going to replace the H1s out there.

Meanwhile, the E/H schoolhouse is going to become an AFRC squadron, with tails brought in from other ARC squadrons (H2s perhaps?). Already there are people in the ARC screaming about this being an AD "iron grab". Too bad they failed to realize this "iron grab" is to equip another ARC squadron.

Edited by Hueypilot812

I know the 53rd uses everyone else's tails (but there is one black tail on the ramp). I thought the rationale behind not giving the 53rd their own aircraft was they were supposed to be a J squadron within 5 years of so of them standing up as an AMC squadron. On another note, Yokota's J conversion was turned off I'm hearing, and there's no real answer on what's going to replace the H1s out there.

Meanwhile, the E/H schoolhouse is going to become an AFRC squadron, with tails brought in from other ARC squadrons (H2s perhaps?). Already there are people in the ARC screaming about this being an AD "iron grab". Too bad they failed to realize this "iron grab" is to equip another ARC squadron.

If the E/H schoolhouse become an AFRC squadron, will the 62nd stay the 62nd and is there any word if it'll be an associate unit? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough (PCS this summer).

Guest Hueypilot812

I don't know any details about the new ARC legacy schoolhouse. But apparently both the ANG and AFRC will have a hand in it. I'm guessing if AMP is dead, the ARANG will continue its role as an FTU of some kind, and the AFRC will take over whatever the ANG doesn't. There is rumor of active duty folks being attached to the schoolhouse in some capacity as well. It'll be interesting to see how all that forms up. Already it appears they will be flying H-models in the very near future. What flavor of H, I'm not sure but I'd guess H2 since many AFRC units are being asked to give up a tail or two for this new unit.

Guest Hueypilot812

At least the differences training shouldn't be too difficult. I guess it depends on what vintage of H2 the flightline gets (I heard Maxwell's giving up a tail or two, and those were early to mid-1980s models...H2.0). Aside from some avionics changes, the H1 and earlier H2s aren't too much different.

I'm a 53rd guy, so here's the scoop. The 53rd "owns" tails, but just a few of them have the black tail flash. As Dyess transitions to the J model, they are sending their H1s up to LRF to be utilized by the 53rd & 62nd. The 53d will eventually become an H1 squadron, the 50th will still be an H3 squadron, and the 61st will get the Js. That's the current plan, but I'm sure it will keep changing...

Guest Hueypilot812

I'm sure it will. About two years ago, the 61st was supposed to get AMP'd H1s and the 53d was supposed to get the Js. It'll take another two years or so for both the 39th and the 40th to finish the J transition, by then the 50th will get the Js and who knows what.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm currently flying slicks and heading to the J initial qual TDY course next week. Any gouge on what to bring with me...ITS, pro gear, copy of flight records maybe? Kind of in the dark, any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm currently flying slicks and heading to the J initial qual TDY course next week. Any gouge on what to bring with me...ITS, pro gear, copy of flight records maybe? Kind of in the dark, any info is appreciated. Thanks.

ETCA has all the info. Flight records, pro gear, no pubs. Gov't laptop provided for CBTs and PFPS.

Edited by The_Ginger
  • Upvote 1

ETCA has all the info. Flight records, pro gear, no pubs. Gov't laptop provided for CBTs and PFPS.

...heard the laptops will go away b/c of funding. They were nice to have.

Though as of 1 Jul the building is getting some sweet computer set-ups. I think the school-house is preparing for J-training to take the majority share of Hercules training. That would also explain the additional J sim being site-surveyed.

Guest 130Grouch

They are going to have to do something impressive if they take away the laptops as everything is on the computer. Also just accept the fact you're going to have to redo all of your CBTs for FP, IA, HR, etc, at least there they'll schedule you time to do them versus being at home when you do it after your 50th hour of work that week.

• 3 weeks later...

I just dropped a 130J to Dyess, anyone have info on what I could expect? I know they are still acquiring the J's, so since their numbers are few I was wondering what the deployment cycle is like right now? Are they deploying with the other 130 models? Is it a separate squadron or is everything integrated? Another dumb question, I know not all 17 guys get airdrop qualified, what is the percentage for 130 dudes?

Any insight would be awesome

• Upvote 1

I just dropped a 130J to Dyess, anyone have info on what I could expect? I know they are still acquiring the J's, so since their numbers are few I was wondering what the deployment cycle is like right now? Are they deploying with the other 130 models? Is it a separate squadron or is everything integrated? Another dumb question, I know not all 17 guys get airdrop qualified, what is the percentage for 130 dudes?

Any insight would be awesome

Dyess has more J-model aircrew than C-130J(s). Expect lots of Other time, perhaps even a TDY to another base to remain current.

~90% of Herk drivers are airdrop qual'd. Senior leaders, Puerto Rico ANG, and Staff bubbas about about the only airland guys I know (even then the Staff guys at USAFE are airdrop qual'd).

• Upvote 1

I wouldn' t expect Dyess to deploy their Js for another year or so (if they're smart they will hold off as long as possible) but I know some of their younger guys are deploying with the Little Rock bubbas. I'm not sure if this was a volunteer thing in order to get some time under their belts, or if they were tasked to go. Either way its not a bad way for a new FP to go get some experience and flying time.

Dyess J-copilots can expect to deploy with the 41st if they want any flight hours anytime soon. We do have a schedule for getting more J's, but its a slow trickle and we've already got 20 J-co's sitting around not flying enough.

Every new C-130 crewmember is airdrop (we call it mission) qual'd. IMO, you're kind of worthless in the Herk world if you're not mission qual'd.