Does anyone have a personal breathalyzer?

Guest Tertle

Guest Tertle

I've been thinking about getting one but I can't find any reviews on particular models or which models are the closest to "law enforcement grade".

So if you have one or have experience with them I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Edited by Tertle

Guest Tertle
What the hell? Are you going to take it with you to make sure you and your buddies are drunk enough to drive?!

yeh thats it :bash:

I've been thinking about getting one but I can't find any reviews on particular models or which models are the closest to "law enforcement grade".

WTFO? If you have more than one drink an hour, don't drive.

What the hell? Are you going to take it with you to make sure you and your buddies are drunk enough to drive?!

Classic.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Guest Tertle

Actually its more for when I get hammered I know when I can drive home in the morning, but thanks for your kind words.

Guest Tertle

I doubt one of you guys can tell me you've never been straight up drunk. I also doubt that you same guys didn't drive somewhere THE NEXT DAY. All I'm trying to do is be safe. Or say I've had 48 oz of beer in say 3 hours I'm going to be close to the legal limit. What's wrong with wanting to be safe?

yes, 0013 is a great method to make sure you're safe. But, I'm in college and sometimes I have more than that. Like I've said before, this is for the day after. One of my friends just got a dui at something like 1130 in the morning and he hadn't had a drink in almost 12 hours.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure I'm under the legal limit if I need to drive somewhere.

Guest ISP7539
I doubt one of you guys can tell me you've never been straight up drunk. I also doubt that you same guys didn't drive somewhere THE NEXT DAY. All I'm trying to do is be safe. Or say I've had 48 oz of beer in say 3 hours I'm going to be close to the legal limit. What's wrong with wanting to be safe?

yes, 0013 is a great method to make sure you're safe. But, I'm in college and sometimes I have more than that. Like I've said before, this is for the day after. One of my friends just got a dui at something like 1130 in the morning and he hadn't had a drink in almost 12 hours.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure I'm under the legal limit if I need to drive somewhere.

I'm a State Trooper, Galls has some good PBT's for sale, but just to let you know. Just because you blow under the limit doesn't mean you aren't drunk. You can still get busted will DUI. Also a PBT isn't 100% accurate. For a certified test you have to wait 20 minutes before the test, that is why you can't drink or eat anything for 20 minutes before taking it. The safest way is to not drive if you have anything to drink.

Guest Tertle
I'm a State Trooper, Galls has some good PBT's for sale, but just to let you know. Just because you blow under the limit doesn't mean you aren't drunk. You can still get busted will DUI. Also a PBT isn't 100% accurate. For a certified test you have to wait 20 minutes before the test, that is why you can't drink or eat anything for 20 minutes before taking it. The safest way is to not drive if you have anything to drink.

I do understand that a person can still be drunk under the limit, and that you have to wait a while before it's the most accurate.

The only reason I want one is to know when I'm safe to drive; not just when I'm at the limit., I want to know when I'll well below it the next day or several hours after. I've blown .08 before and felt perfectly fine and capable. I guess it's just a piece of mind for me.

Edited by Tertle

Guest ISP7539
I do understand that a person can still be drunk under the limit, and that you have to wait a while before it's the most accurate.

The only reason I want one is to know when I'm safe to drive; not just when I'm at the limit., I want to know when I'll well below it the next day or several hours after. I've blown .08 before and felt perfectly fine and capable. I guess it's just a piece of mind for me.

That's cool, I just wanted you to know that just because you blow under doesn't mean your safe. I can't remember off the top of my head the name of some of the better ones. I know you will want one that reads out to the thousandths. Keep it at a decent temp. Hope that helps and good luck finding one. Also they aren't cheap. A good one will run about 500 dollars or so.

Tertle, that's honestly not a bad idea. I've heard of the 9AM DUIs. Though I don't have any experience w/ these things...but sounds like they're pretty fvckin expensive. Maybe just take it easy the next morning and don't drive unless you're feeling 100% (minus the pounding headache of course). Good idea, but 500 bucks just isn't worth it to me.

Call the police dept and ask them if they can meet you at your apartment and administer a PBT.

They're public service workers. They ought to serve the public.

Guest Tertle
Call the police dept and ask them if they can meet you at your apartment and administer a PBT.

They're public service workers. They ought to serve the public.

That's a good idea. I've never thought of that. Maybe I'll try that out first.

FWIW, I'm glad to see this topic rolling again. This is (a) an internet forum, and (b)THE BAR. This is exactly the kind of place where we should be able to talk about stuff like this, if we want.

BO staff- thanks for keeping an open mind and letting us enjoy this place. :beer:

Edited by Cam

Guest Brewdog

Yup, that's why they took them out of bars. People used to have contests for highest BAC. Another gem was a group that was out together all taking one and then the person with the lowest BAC being designated the "bitch" and having to drive everyone for the rest of the night with their paltry score 1.4. Yikes...

Yup, that's why they took them out of bars. People used to have contests for highest BAC. Another gem was a group that was out together all taking one and then the person with the lowest BAC being designated the "bitch" and having to drive everyone for the rest of the night with their paltry score 1.4. Yikes...

Yep, there was a bar in Columbus, MS that featured a coin-operated breathalyzer, and that's exactly what we used it for. It was always fun seeing who could make the thing peg-out first.

Just go ahead and get yourself a DUI right up front...in lots of states you then a fancy personal breathalyzer installed right into your car for free! What a deal! Then you never have to worry about it again. You are young, you can bounce right back.

But, I'm in college and sometimes I have more than that. Like I've said before, this is for the day after. One of my friends just got a dui at something like 1130 in the morning and he hadn't had a drink in almost 12 hours.

The USAFA guys have no idea what you mean here.

I've driven on Friday mornings to class after being out all night at the Midnight Rodeo (aka Rope-a-hoe), and have to say that it was not the best of ideas. I then realized that my best option was to sleep in and not go to class.

Good on ya though for the good use of ORM.

Guest TheBurt

Tertle,

If I remember correctly Alcosensors were pretty expensive, I believe the one I had was around 1500 bucks, that was in the 90's. It was always fun to get on my bushhog with miller lite in hand, pull one from the cooler every half hour or so, and go to the patrol car and test myself on the alcosensor!! It was a great way to learn "my limits", unfortunately in order to get an alcosensor I had to go through 6 months of Highway Patrol Basic school. Your idea is a good one though, and very valid, If you were assigned as the "early car" it was very easy to get a drunk between 6-9am, specifically on Saturday and Sunday mornings(guys/gals that slept on the couch of a buddy/buddette after a hard night and thought they were ok), Sunday morning being the easiest, since no one was going to work and the church crowd didn't start driving until 9a.m., and the only other guy out is the paperman. The process of elimination worked really well.

I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but I bet 2 minutes on google will yield the result, anyway it's called an Alcosensor.

good luck, don't drink and drive, (unless it's on a mower, horse, or bicycle), no kidding, law in NC.

TheBurt

Edited by TheBurt

Guest momann
good luck, don't drink and drive, (unless it's on a mower, horse, or bicycle), no kidding, law in NC.

TheBurt

I think you can still get a DUI on a mower or bicycle. On the news about a month ago, a guy got a DUI driving a Golf cart on a county road. Therefore, if the equipment is on public road, you can get DUI if you're caught (at least that's was the message I receive from the News report).