They've done it again!

LockheedFix

So my personnel record in the Air Force dates all the way back to 1999. But now for some reason, according to the AF, I don't have any proof that I am a US citizen and I have to track down an original copy of my birth certificate or I get derported I guess. BTW, my family came over from Scotland in the 1700s and I never left the US until I was 21.

Pretty impressive even for the MPF if you ask me. Anybody else have this problem.

So my personnel record in the Air Force dates all the way back to 1999. But now for some reason, according to the AF, I don't have any proof that I am a US citizen and I have to track down an original copy of my birth certificate or I get derported I guess. BTW, my family came over from Scotland in the 1700s and I never left the US until I was 21.

Pretty impressive even for the MPF if you ask me. Anybody else have this problem.

I actually got the same freakin letter (or Memo or whatever the hell it was). I was supposed to respond to it about 2 weeks ago but I was TDY...

Guest Johann

At least you didn't get a letter from Finance saying that you

owed $3,500 from a travel voucher that was reconciled from 2004.

I retired in Mar...

I'm going with "No" on that.

:flipoff:

Edited by Johann

I retired in Mar...

DFAS will just take it out of your tax return/retirement pay.

I retired in Mar...

I got one for 8800 that I owe!

I was thinking about telling them that I only write checks on the third tuesday of the month. And then when that day comes, I'll tell them I was closed for training and that my checkbook was on leave so they are going to have to wait until next month.

I got one for 8800 that I owe!

I was thinking about telling them that I only write checks on the third tuesday of the month. And then when that day comes, I'll tell them I was closed for training and that my checkbook was on leave so they are going to have to wait until next month.

Wow- morale of the story: save EVERYTHING. It makes me sick that the AF would do that kind of crap to our people just to save a few bucks. Very shady.

So after reading this, it sounds like it'd be a good idea to save all claimed receipts for every TDY in a file cabinet. Guess I'm a TDY behind, but better safe than sorry. Is there any reason to get copies of the travel voucher or are the receipts good enough?

I photocopy the whole damn voucher...make an exact replica of the one I handed in. Billeting receipts, missed meal forms, Family Sep forms, the whole nine yards. I take a highlighter and mark the top and then write the date submitted in the upper corner. When I get the e-mail that says it's been paid, I review it and then staple it to the back of the voucher.

About every year or so after I have accrued a nice stack of vouchers, I'll punch holes in them and put them in a binder or six part folder.

I have used the vouchers for "yeah, I have been deployed that many days" proof when I switched from AD to the ANG. CED orders and a paid voucher will get you credit for what you have done. Keep all that stuff.

SATCOM mentioned something in another thread that we do at my unit as well. Our orders person has a sign-in roster for the vouchers/orders. Anything that goes to Finance gets signed over to Finance.

My father in law has a year of jump pay in the bank from when he got off jump status in around 1967. He's waiting for the Army to take it back.

Guest Dwight Schrute

I do something similar to Scooter, but if you don't have this option than save everything. We can fax our vouchers in (reserve unit). I keep all the originals with a copy of the date the fax was submitted. They tried to call me out on an order/voucher not turned in. I finally got to take that copy to them nd say 'you f'ed up, again'. They apologized profusely and since then my pay has been straight. Let us see how long that lasts...

Guest SATCOM
I photocopy the whole damn voucher...make an exact replica of the one I handed in. Billeting receipts, missed meal forms, Family Sep forms, the whole nine yards. I take a highlighter and mark the top and then write the date submitted in the upper corner. When I get the e-mail that says it's been paid, I review it and then staple it to the back of the voucher.

About every year or so after I have accrued a nice stack of vouchers, I'll punch holes in them and put them in a binder or six part folder.

I have used the vouchers for "yeah, I have been deployed that many days" proof when I switched from AD to the ANG. CED orders and a paid voucher will get you credit for what you have done. Keep all that stuff.

SATCOM mentioned something in another thread that we do at my unit as well. Our orders person has a sign-in roster for the vouchers/orders. Anything that goes to Finance gets signed over to Finance.

My father in law has a year of jump pay in the bank from when he got off jump status in around 1967. He's waiting for the Army to take it back.

EXACTLY! Guys, if there's one piece of advice that I can spew after 24-plus years of AD, it's to keep each and every frickin' piece of paper you are related to in the USAF. I am not kidding when I say this....I have my enlistment papers from the carbon-copy days (early 80's). Just yesterday my DO asked for a copy of some CED orders from a deployment to Bahrain in the 90's, and guess who produced them for the unit (this ol' crusty sittin' here) for a history thing . It is painful to lug all this around PCS after PCS, but trust me, someday your anal retention will save your bacon.

Guest Johann
EXACTLY! Guys, if there's one piece of advice that I can spew after 24-plus years of AD, it's to keep each and every frickin' piece of paper you are related to in the USAF. I am not kidding when I say this....I have my enlistment papers from the carbon-copy days (early 80's). Just yesterday my DO asked for a copy of some CED orders from a deployment to Bahrain in the 90's, and guess who produced them for the unit (this ol' crusty sittin' here) for a history thing . It is painful to lug all this around PCS after PCS, but trust me, someday your anal retention will save your bacon.

+ 1,000

KEEP EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the finance guy and he was actually pretty cool. He said that the letter was just advisory in nature (for the time being) and he said that basically the AFRES pay people aren't cooperating with his people (AD) to try to get these issues resolved (for others too). Typical.

This is coming from the pay system that didn't allow me to get my tax-free for going to to the Philippines on an OEF mission, because I was a reservist. If I was AD, I would've gotten it.

But hey, at least I get to collect my retired pay...in 2027.

Thanks for serving...

What a bunch of sh*t...

Guest SATCOM
+ 1,000

KEEP EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the finance guy and he was actually pretty cool. He said that the letter was just advisory in nature (for the time being) and he said that basically the AFRES pay people aren't cooperating with his people (AD) to try to get these issues resolved (for others too). Typical.

This is coming from the pay system that didn't allow me to get my tax-free for going to to the Philippines on an OEF mission, because I was a reservist. If I was AD, I would've gotten it.

But hey, at least I get to collect my retired pay...in 2027.

Thanks for serving...

What a bunch of sh*t...

OEF-P is Tax Free, PERIOD. I just went through this boondoggle with my FM shit-for-brains on my base. I have the documents to prove it if you need them. Anybody that goes to OEF-P is Tax Free.

Guest Johann
OEF-P is Tax Free, PERIOD. I just went through this boondoggle with my FM shit-for-brains on my base. I have the documents to prove it if you need them. Anybody that goes to OEF-P is Tax Free.

Not if you're a reservist at Travis, apparently.

I had the PACOM source letter and everything, to no avail.

The pay chick told me if I was AD I would've gotten it, but apparently

the reserve system isn't built for that.

Whatever.

I told my tax guy about it and he fixed it anyway, at tax time.

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Whatever.

I'm a reservist. I got the tax free. You got boned by that finance office. I'd have a word with the MPF boss and/or the Ops Grp/CC. If they're boning you, they're more than likely boning more as well.

Guest SATCOM

Whatever.

I guarantee you that if you mention that you're considering calling your Congressional Rep, they's shit your tax free quickly......