MOA (Manifestation of apprehension)

Guest donuts12

Guest donuts12

This is pretty embarassing: I just got entered into the Commander's Review board process due to flight doc recommending admin removal for manifestation of apprehension. I'm not afraid of flying, in fact I love it, it's just when I'm flying that I have problems. Anyway, I'm hoping that they'll let me enter SUNT but have no idea if I'm already DQ'd for that due to this MOA issue. I can't find anything specific in the regs regarding UPT/SUPT...that I'm aware exist anyway. Can someone please help me out with some info?

More info about my situation: It was recommended to me by my flt cmdr that I go to life skills, since I thought it was maybe just a pressure/stress issue...tried relaxation techniques but it didn't fix it and it became more obvious that it wasn't stressing about my performance but just plain anxiety about flying the plane. Got sent to flight doc by flt cmdr, who then sent me to life skills again. The life skills guy and the flight doc got together afterwards and made the decision to recommend admin dismissal and there you have it. I'm also worried about what effect going to life skills might have on the review board.

Guest F16PilotMD

This isn't a medical issue. It's an admin issue. Docs can recommend anything they want. The line has the hammer now. Switching to my old line hat...I think you will have trouble getting any set of wings with this MOA. Good luck.

Edited by F16PilotMD

Guest awfltdoc

See below for applicable regs regarding MOA/CRB.

Page 20 AETCI36-2205 7 APRIL 2003

Section 3C—Manifestation of Apprehension (MOA)

3.6. Definition. MOA is a state of psychological anxiety, apprehension, and/or physical impairment exhibited by students toward their training environment.

3.7. Symptoms. MOA symptoms may include passive or active airsickness, insomnia, appetite loss, anxiety, or tension related to the flying or controlling environment. Students may try to mask MOA symptoms with frequent vague medical problems, frequent visits to the flight surgeon, lack of preparation, or daydreaming. Performance deterioration or airsickness is more common and occurs over a long period.

3.8. Identification. At times, the best possible identification of MOA is an instructor’s subjective evaluation. A student’s sudden lack of motivation, negative attitude toward learning, loss of sense of humor, and/or other personality changes may indicate MOA. The instructor will inform the flight commander when a student’s performance is impaired because of actual or suspected MOA (AETCI 48-102).

3.9. Management Procedures. The squadron or flight commander will request a flight surgeon examination for a student with MOA symptoms. If no psychological or physical problems are present, the student is medically qualified for flying and controlling duties. The decision to eliminate a student for MOA reasons is an operational decision based on mission impairment and operational risk management (ORM). The SQ/CC will review the student’s training record and enter justification for recommending elimination

for MOA. For rated crewmembers, see AFI 11-402 and its AETC Sup 1.

There is more about the process in Section 5B—Commander’s Review (CR) Process

From AETCI48-102 19 DECEMBER 2001

16. Manifestations of Apprehension (MOA):

16.1. MOA is considered an administrative disenrollment. It is defined as a state of psychological anxiety, apprehension, and/or physical impairment. A student may exhibit MOA through tension, anxiety, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, vague medical complaints, or airsickness.

16.2. The flight surgeon will interview a student with suspected MOA. In the absence of an underlying medical condition, the student’s suitability for flying duty becomes an operational decision made by the line commander. The attending flight surgeon will prepare an SF 502, Medical Record-Narrative Summary (Clinical Resume), stating the results of the medical interview, and attach it to an AF Form 422 reflecting assignment or training limitations.

From AFI48-123v3

A4.25.1.9. Anxiety Disorders. If the flight surgeon determines that the problem is due to a

non-phobic “fear of flying” or (in a trainee) a “manifestation of apprehension,” then the disposition is considered administrative and not medical.

I can't speak to your chances of going to SUNT cause I don't know.

Guest donuts12

Thanks very much for the info/inputs from both of you. Guess I'll see how it goes, but at least now I'm much better informed.