What are some lesser known AFSCs and their niches?

Guest Tertle

Guest dayswhore@ang.com

Tertle,

Disclaimer up front.

I am biased, I think Aircraft Maintenance is the best, I did stints in PA and Comm as a second john, I am now in an admin slot. My time in Maint was the best. I was out on the line, working with op's, I think it's great. I would give my left one to get back. Problem with being a AT whore is you go where the days are, I actually scored an AGR job with counter drug working admin with the army, I know, but a brother has to pay the bills.

Go Maintenance.

Disclaimer over.

DW

Just curious as to what some of you find interesting non rated career fields to be?

In other words, if you weren't a rated guy, what would you have done or what would you be?

I think intel is at the top of my non rated list, but I'd like to learn some more about other AFSCs.

I have been reading on the afpc site for those wondering.

ready, go

If you don't get a rated slot, but still interested in flying and the Ops realm, a few non-rated fields could get ya airborne. Some junior intel officers (14N) fly onboard the RC-135 variants and E-8 JSTARS. Also the E-4B NAOC has flying Comm(33S) and Command and Control officers (86P ?).

Alright, fair enough. Obviously I'm biased towards my side of the fence. Seriously though, I'm sure being in OSI is a hell of a lot better than being a standard shoe in any other job. I just sure as hell wouldn't want to deal w/ the sick crap those guys have to deal with. Just me though. Good luck on the board, I hope it works out for you.

I never thought OSI would be that great, but they definitely do some cool stuff. And it isn't all drug/rape/suicide cases. They do Counter Intelligence as well.