What are some lesser known AFSCs and their niches?

Guest Tertle

Guest Tertle

Just curious as to what some of you find interesting non rated career fields to be?

In other words, if you weren't a rated guy, what would you have done or what would you be?

I think intel is at the top of my non rated list, but I'd like to learn some more about other AFSCs.

I have been reading on the afpc site for those wondering.

ready, go

Edited by Tertle

If rated doesn't work out... even though I hate it with all my being... I'd probably go with Developmental Engineering (62E something) or Civil Engineering (32 something).

But that's mainly because that's all I was allowed to put on my job form along with el rated job, haha.

Guest momann

Good Q, Tertle. I was wondering the same thing. (OH! By the way, Tertle I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I thought I ask this Q as it is along the idea of this thread.)

I was waiting for the next OTS non-rated board to apply for OSI, Developmental Engineering or Maintenance Officer (aircraft), but a local recruiter called me and offered Bioenvironmental Engineering (BE). The deal is nice since I commission early and attend COT (Commission Officer Training) which is 4 weeks. Also, according to the recruiter, there are no disadvantages when it come time to cross training to say OSI, because I went through a 4 week COT as compared to 12 weeks OTS BOT.

Anybody have further information on this or care to comment? Is he selling me BS or is it true? Any and all response will be appreciated.

Also, any BE out there care to give me some insight into what a BE does or what it's all about?

Thanks.

Guest momann
Momann... I don't think you're going to find many Bioenvironmental Engineers on here.

I thought so, but decided to ask just in case one was lurking around.

EDIT: However, does anyone have any info on COT?

Edited by momann

84H0

84H0 description

There's a 2 star AFRC general that has this job as his civilian gig. He is rated, but not a requirement.

BTDT. First gig as a Reservist was as an 84; like most AF jobs, it was 80% queep, but bits of it were very interesting. Also, almost all AD slots have/are being converted to civilian. Most AD slots are/were for enlisted as well.

AFAIK OSI does not take OTS applications unless you are already an enlisted OSI agent and trying to commission.

Eh I think they take applications from civvies, but since they only have a handful of slots per year almost all of the people picked up for it are prior enlisted OSI.

Guest momann
Eh I think they take applications from civvies, but since they only have a handful of slots per year almost all of the people picked up for it are prior enlisted OSI.

I was talking to a Maj. in San Antonio who is the OSI Application Manager and he said it is competitive with most hires being priors due to very limited slots.

Guest Dwight Schrute

Really good bud of mine was OSI and he loved the job. Got to go to DLI at Monterrey and has way more resume filler than anyone should be allowed. If that doesn't work, get a job at some MAJCOM base; the chicks are way hotter/younger than any where else.

Edited by Dwight Schrute

It seems that 98% of OSI is queep and spending the other hours dealing w/ some fvcked up cases...again, from your desk. The other 2% is freaking out when I tell them some dude has more than one beer in a sitting. Holy shit, say it ain't so! I don't see how people think that job is so awesome.

Anybody have further information on this or care to comment? Is he selling me BS or is it true? Any and all response will be appreciated.

Also, any BE out there care to give me some insight into what a BE does or what it's all about?

Thanks.

Momann,

I have a good friend who was a Bio Environmental Engineer officer and cross trained into OSI. As has been stated already, they (OSI) seem to be more willing to take either prior enlisted or officers from other career fields than they are to take someone off the street. BE often deals with OSHA, water samples, workplace hazards kind of work among other things.

As for COT, (I have heard from those who have gone) it is 4 weeks of this is the Air Force for Med Officers/JAGs/Chaplins/other direct commisions. You are already an officer when you go, you stay in a room that is cleaned by a maid, you learn history of the AF, saluting, marching, etc all day. Apparently it used to be a very relaxed four weeks in Florida but the leadership got wind of this several years ago and aligned it under AFOATS (ROTC/OTS/COT) and moved it Maxwell. Now it is more "expeditionary" tng and is going to increase to 6 six weeks total time soon.

Good luck!

Guest momann
Momann,

I have a good friend who was a Bio Environmental Engineer officer and cross trained into OSI. As has been stated already, they (OSI) seem to be more willing to take either prior enlisted or officers from other career fields than they are to take someone off the street. BE often deals with OSHA, water samples, workplace hazards kind of work among other things.

As for COT, (I have heard from those who have gone) it is 4 weeks of this is the Air Force for Med Officers/JAGs/Chaplins/other direct commisions. You are already an officer when you go, you stay in a room that is cleaned by a maid, you learn history of the AF, saluting, marching, etc all day. Apparently it used to be a very relaxed four weeks in Florida but the leadership got wind of this several years ago and aligned it under AFOATS (ROTC/OTS/COT) and moved it Maxwell. Now it is more "expeditionary" tng and is going to increase to 6 six weeks total time soon.

Good luck!

More information than I've gotten from my recruiter or searching the WWW. You're the MANN!!! Thanks for the info.

I'm prior ANG enlisted and hope to get commission into BEE this fall. Also, hope BEE can give me an edge when it comes to being selected for OSI. Do you know if BEE help you buddy get selected for OSI?

Brabus, no disrespect, but someone could say the same or similar thing about pilots/flying. Flying is your first love, mine too, but I wasn't as fortunate as you, so OSI is the next career I did like to do. Oh Yes, I know your statement was not an attack on me and it was not received as such. Brabus don't criticize other people choice of career. It's not cool.

:rock:

Edited by momann

Alright, fair enough. Obviously I'm biased towards my side of the fence. Seriously though, I'm sure being in OSI is a hell of a lot better than being a standard shoe in any other job. I just sure as hell wouldn't want to deal w/ the sick crap those guys have to deal with. Just me though. Good luck on the board, I hope it works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nick4060

I think Intel is the number one option for non-rated. And if it doesnt work out, you can always take the security clearance and put it to use working for the NSA or CIA.

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking for something a little more detailed and official

Actually, most of that info is from official USAF sources and is about as detailed as you are going to find. Outside of that, I would suggest try searching for career field info on AFPC's web site for the AFSC you are interested in...there used to be specific guides for each, but I have no idea where that info is nowadays...

Cheers! M2