Leather Flight Jacket

Guest b52g8r

• 3 months later...

Anybody know if pops leather is still in business? I can't get their website to work over the past couple days, and am trying to scout out prices for an upcoming trip.

I was in the shop in January. They were very much in business then and I cant see a place that has been there for forever closing down in just 3 months.

A base model cow leather A-2 was $230. $250 for fleece lined pockets. $270 for the fleece and a gun pocket on the inside breast. There were other add on's, but you couldn't walk out of the store with the jacket, they had to ship it to you.

A base model goat leather was $170. Increase price by increment above for add on's. The lady there was a pretty good salesperson as far as explaining why cow leather was superior to goat leather, so I ended up with the cow leather and "fuzzy pockets" as they put it.

I recommend taking a cab to Pop's after dark, unless you don't mind hobos jumping out of dark alleys yelling at you in a foreign language.

Edited by snizz
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I ordered a jacket from them in December and I can't imagine them going out of business. Just thought it was odd that their website has been down for several days, have looking to get a shoulder holster from them instead of this POS I was issued.

I recommend taking a cab to Pop's after dark, unless you don't mind hobos jumping out of dark alleys yelling at you in a foreign language.

You must be a chick or a homo. I kicked the hobos ass and stole his blanket so I could sleep in one of those alleys years ago when I was delayed at a bar and missed curfew. Then a few hours later I decided hat was stupid and just jumped the fence.

A base model cow leather A-2 was $230. $250 for fleece lined pockets. $270 for the fleece and a gun pocket on the inside breast. There were other add on's, but you couldn't walk out of the store with the jacket, they had to ship it to you.

A base model goat leather was $170. Increase price by increment above for add on's. The lady there was a pretty good salesperson as far as explaining why cow leather was superior to goat leather, so I ended up with the cow leather and "fuzzy pockets" as they put it.

I was fitted for my custom jacket at Pop's in Jan after lunch and picked it up the same day after dinner. I walked back in the dark no problems, although the gate had been closed earlier in the day due to locals protesting the German and Dutch Patriot batteries that had just arrived: http://rt.com/news/n...ot-missile-807/

I'm happy with my jacket and highly recommend Pop's Leather. Mr Lim installed a silk liner in my issued jacket last year, but you can't beat a custom fitted leather jacket. Well worth the per diem.

You must be a chick or a homo.

No, just a big pussy.

Dick.

*by the way, I'm not really calling you a dick. It's meant light hearted. Just trying to prevent any butt-hurt since there is no sarcasm font.

Edited by snizz
  • Upvote 1

Was there last week and bought off the rack. Had some modifications done while I walked down the street avoiding all the shop owners for lunch. Got to see their back room where the workers are making cow hides into leather products. "Fuzzy pockets" are the bomb for keeping hands warm. Third jacket from Pop's.

Was there last week and bought off the rack. Had some modifications done while I walked down the street avoiding all the shop owners for lunch. Got to see their back room where the workers are making cow hides into leather products. "Fuzzy pockets" are the bomb for keeping hands warm. Third jacket from Pop's.

Thanks was looking to see if anyone had been there recently I.e. this month.

For those of you getting new Jackets at Pops, apparently your old one will sell for a pretty penny on eBay to Japanese buyers.

How do I know? I shipped my jacket back from AFG, and never saw it again. Yesterday I found a 6 month old FB message (it got filtered, which I didn't even know FB did) from a ex-crew chief who found it in a Thrift shop (He looked incredible) in Minnesota, and after hearing nothing from me, sold it on eBay for north of $200.

For those of you getting new Jackets at Pops, apparently your old one will sell for a pretty penny on eBay to Japanese buyers.

How do I know? I shipped my jacket back from AFG, and never saw it again. Yesterday I found a 6 month old FB message (it got filtered, which I didn't even know FB did) from a ex-crew chief who found it in a Thrift shop (He looked incredible) in Minnesota, and after hearing nothing from me, sold it on eBay for north of $200.

Ex-Crew chief gets an A for effort to find the original owner. All of mine have "custom made for XXXX" on the inside. Maybe I will get as lucky if mine comes up missing.

Sounds like he was poppin some tags, with only $20 in his pocket.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Question: Where do the AFIs (or some other reg) state that thou shalt not wear your leather jacket in flight/while flying?

I haven't checked on it recently, but some of the MAJCOM supps to 36-2903 in the past have said the A-2 was no-go for flight.