St George or Kanab, UT?

brickhistory

OK well while I am not necessarily "from" Utah, I did attend the University of Utah in SLC for 4 years and feel I know the area reasonably well. SLC is a cool place and close to lots of stuff for you city folk, but as far as retirement standards go, head out to Park City. Sure you can get pretty pricey out there but it gets cheaper as you go down the canyon toward SLC. If the mormon factor is an issue, PC is still a better choice. I love Park City and would retire there over any other place in Utah and probably most the US for that matter. Clean air, tons of out doors stuff to do, people stay out of your sh1t unlike 99% of the rest of the state, and its still close to city. And IMHBO, St George is a sh1thole with a meth problem...

• 4 months later...

Finally knocked out this trip (of course the day either side at Vegas didn't hurt!) and scouted the St. George area.

Town itself was no great shakes - mid-size town sprawl look to it. Airport was kinda cool, perched on the crest of the butte/hill/whatever y'all call it.

Checked out some of the subdivisions to the northeast and northwest; some nice places, but overall it just didn't do it for us. BTW, tried to order a pitcher of margaritas and was informed that a pitcher required three or more drinkers under UT law. WTF?

Went further northeast into Hurricane and on to Zion Nat'l Park. Some beautiful views and areas to build, but the overall feel didn't appeal to us. Wife doesn't want to live out miles from anyone else. Me, I kinda like that..........

Both Mrs and I didn't feel anything saying "Yeah, this is it." But thanks for the posts here and the PMs. It helped rule out some areas to check out and let us use our time more efficiently.

Edited by brickhistory