Drunk astronauts

Guest davalt10

Guest Xtndr50boom
Maybe they didn't think that rule applied to them since rocket engines have more of an on/off switch than a throttle...?

Sarcasm noted.

But would the flight control stick count as a throttle? Since it controls the RCS thrusters in orbit and those can propel the shuttle?

(simulated smilie)

Now I don't have to feel guilty about the Rum and coke I've had while BBQing and posting on the forum.

Sidebar....how cool is it that technology allows us the freedom to sit on our back porch, drink rum, BBQ, AND surf the net.

Before you young losers jump on my old ass (STS) for being home on a Friday night, I have a six week old kid who requires I be home on Friday night.

Before you young losers jump on my old ass (STS) for being home on a Friday night, I have a six week old kid who requires I be home on Friday night.

Congrats CH! Hope the little one is doing well. My friday nights went away alot of years ago...thank god for TDY's!

'astronaut' is going the way of 'fighter pilot' these days. A lot of qualified people have realized that devoting a the better part of 15 years to be competitive for an astronaut position, where years and years of training and sacrifice will culminate in maybe ONE 5-day trip in orbit and you're done (considering the end is near for the shuttle program), is not as appealing as when they thought about it when they were 5 years old, as the opportunity cost is too much.

As for the alleged sabotage it doesn't surprise me. NASA is filled with thousands of people whose sole reason for being at NASA is some shattered dream of becoming an astronaut. This is not an exageration, I can't remember the amount of people I've talked to or associated myself through work or school that at one point or another tied their tenure at NASA with a "once upon a time I wanted to go for astronaut". People need to put the pipe down, working close to something to remediate the fact that you can't/aren't allowed to do that something does not make your life better, it still leaves you empty. Too much Kool-aid in that place, and ever since the crazy mallet and briefcase incident people have realized 'astronaut' is not even something to aspire to really, hence the shooting at Johnson a couple months ago and now the computer thing.

Guest DILLA

In spite of all the bad press lately...do you guys think that NASA still has a relevant purpose? Being a former NASA engineer (on both the space exploration and flight test sides), I have seen the agency's positive impact in flight test/research, but on the space exploration side of the house...how important you do think it is?

Guest DILLA
NASA is filled with thousands of people whose sole reason for being at NASA is some shattered dream of becoming an astronaut.

You are on point with this one. When I was there...I worked with many former and wannabe military pilots and astronauts. When I voiced that I wanted to be a pilot in the military...many of the wannabes balked at me and told me I had slim to no chance. All of the former astronauts and pilots were supportive of me and some wrote me rec letters. When I got selected for a UPT slot, those who balked later gave me the silent treatment...I guess that's how it is sometimes. NASA was a good place to work, but when the climate changed for me...I didn't regret leaving.

Edited by DILLA

I have seen the agency's positive impact in flight test/research, but on the space exploration side of the house...how important you do think it is?

Very important. If it weren't for space exploration we wouldn't have Tempur-pedic!

But seriously, consider what we have learned about our planet and the universe since the 1960s and the technologies we have today (like GPS) that are a direct result.

HD

Guest Jimmy
If it weren't for space exploration we wouldn't have Tempur-pedic!

Soft where you want it, hard where it needs to be.

Guest DILLA
But seriously, consider what we have learned about our planet and the universe since the 1960s and the technologies we have today (like GPS) that are a direct result.

HD

That's true. Didn't consider that. From my POV, it seemed that a lot of widely used technologies, like GPS, were products of solely-military R & D. Tang (STS) and Tempur-Pedic not included...