Oshkosh, b'gosh!

HuggyU2

Guest Cubdriver

I flew up there in 2007. I arrived on Sunday afternoon and the place was pretty full. I had to park way down on the south end of the airfield. From a parking perspective, I recommend getting there either Saturday or early Sunday or waiting until about Tuesday or Wednesday when some people are starting to clear out. It seemed like Monday was the fullest day when I was there.

When I go back again I'll bring some food. You can eat there but it is like eating at a county fair -- somewhat pricey and not that healthy.

As for getting in there, not a big deal if you can read and follow instructions. Get the NOTAM from the EAA website and study it. Fly up the rail line or whatever and waggle your wings when they tell you. It isn't rocket science. Any USAF pilot who can negotiate the traffic pattern at a UPT base can get in there with no problem. Anybody that can read English, follow basic instructions, talk on the radio, and land in the general vicinity of their intended landing point can get in there fine.

I had a great time and can't wait to go back but two full days of the show was enough for me to see everything I wanted to see. Have fun -- it is a blast!

Edited by Cubdriver

I flew my supercub up there in 2007. I arrived on Sunday afternoon and the place was pretty full. I had to park way down on the south end of the airfield. From a parking perspective, I recommend getting there either Saturday or early Sunday or waiting until about Tuesday or Wednesday when some people are starting to clear out. It seemed like Monday was the fullest day when I was there.

Where did you end up parking? Was the showplane parking pretty full when you arrived?

-9-

Guest Cubdriver
Where did you end up parking? Was the showplane parking pretty full when you arrived?

-9-

I parked in vintage, south of the ultralight strip and about 10 rows south of the last bus turn around. I was maybe a mile or mile and a quarter walk from show center. It was a good walk though because of all the cool planes to look at!

Honestly I don't know how full showplane parking was... sorry!

It really doesn't matter where you park, as long as you get on the field. You're going to walk the entire ramp multiple times anyways just to look at everything.

There's no event quite like Oshkosh.

I don't recall the Showplane areas getting full the last couple of years. The GA area does usually get full on Sunday evening or Monday morning. It doesn't start opening up again until about Wednesday for GA. If you are in a 1970 or older aircraft, you can park in vintage. That's were I parked my Cherokee. I volunteered parking RVs last year and will probably do the same this year.

Guest Jpilot

I'll be there this year in the mighty Huey. :rock:

-J

Edited by Jpilot

• 2 months later...

Well, it's about 12 days away from the start of AirVenture 2009 and I still have an open seat in my plane for someone itching for a ride there and back and willing to chip in for gas. The plane is based in the Kansas City area, so if you're anywhere near a line from there to OSH we can probably work something out. (This includes St. Louis, Des Moines, Peoria, Cedar Rapids, etc.)

PM me if you're interested.

-9-

The RV parking area is being increased significantly this year. The Red Auto Parking area is being repurposed to RV parking. I know the RV-10s are being moved from their traditional area right off the fliteline to the former Red Auto Parking area, just west of the "Mustang Corral". For those flying in with an experimental, there should be plenty of parking this year.

Edited by rleffler

Guest RJacobs

Ill be up there Wednesday and Thursday. Driving up instead of flying, the year I flew was miserable. I am staying down in Lomira, but ill be doing plenty of drinking at Herbies Wednesday night and maybe Tuesday night before driving back to Lomira.

Well, it's about 12 days away from the start of AirVenture 2009 and I still have an open seat in my plane for someone itching for a ride there and back and willing to chip in for gas. The plane is based in the Kansas City area, so if you're anywhere near a line from there to OSH we can probably work something out. (This includes St. Louis, Des Moines, Peoria, Cedar Rapids, etc.)

PM me if you're interested.

-9-

What kind of plane do you own Nineline?

Just learned today though that the A380 will be there.

A buddy of mine is bringing it to the show. He will be parking it next to his RV-8 at the request of the EAA. Only American test pilot at Airbus. Also retired AF RF-4/F-16 driver.

May be able to make it this year. If so, it will be my first time out. Let's get a showing this year folks...screw the economy, lets get some airplanes in the air and on the ramp!

Wheelz

Looking through some of the recent posts, it seems that more than a few of us will be at this aviation mecca.

For those of you going next week, how about a first-annual BaseOps Oshkosh pow-wow? The best time would probably be an evening mid-week, say Wed or Thurs. Maybe someone more familiar with the better hangouts can suggest a good time/place.

What say you?

-9-

Guest RJacobs

The only place I know of that is left is Herbies. The Pioneer(place where most performers used to stay) up on the lake is gone(havent been to Oshkosh in 5 years or so), is turned into apartments or condo's something like that. While I am not a mil pilot I am glad to buy drinks for anybody who is up there. Ill be in Oshkosh Tues and Wed night.

Anyone else seen this great Boeing propaganda critique of the A380 landing at KOSH? Hilarious! (and true)

What those guys failed to point out was, the crew was trying to stop the jet quickly to showcase its short field capability. My friend is up there now and is a former UPT classmate of one of the pilots, Terry Lutz-a former USAF test pilot, and was told this by Terry himself. For the record, it was the frenchman, Claude Lelaie, who made the "firm" landing!

What those guys failed to point out was, the crew was trying to stop the jet quickly to showcase its short field capability. My friend is up there now and is a former UPT classmate of one of the pilots, Terry Lutz-a former USAF test pilot, and was told this by Terry himself. For the record, it was the frenchman, Claude Lelaie, who made the "firm" landing!

Agreed - probably just like the 727 that landed at Meigs Field.

This video has more footage of the full landing sequence. Kinda surprised that they had the mind to only use the inboard TR as the outboards would have kicked up wicked amounts of dirt and grass.

I'm sure they were light as shit though:

Dimensions: 8002 x 150 ft. / 2439 x 46 m

Surface: concrete/grooved, in fair condition

Weight bearing capacity:

Single wheel: 65.0

Double wheel: 85.0

Double tandem: 130.0

Quad Double Tandem?

Just empty the damn thing weighs about 280K. Not sure what KOSH's weight restrictions are on an a/c with 22 wheels. :)

Max T/O Weight: 1,386,000 #

The jet at Oshkosh is being used to test weights greater than that and is configured with ballast throughout to control CG and test different flight characteristics. According to my friend, they have already broken the record for heaviest takeoff (over the Antonov 225), but it was not official since it was a test flight. Apparently Airbus is also working on a stretched version that would max out around 1.6M #! Also, something like 880 pax with high density seating.

This video has more footage of the full landing sequence. Kinda surprised that they had the mind to only use the inboard TR as the outboards would have kicked up wicked amounts of dirt and grass.

No TRs on the outboards but the stretch model is getting them, as well as better brakes.