Breaking of the Wings

Guest IAGuardWife

Revival: I know we're doing the breaking of the wings on Friday, but was wondering who exactly I should give them to. The real question is are these something that should be given to my wife (obviously the one who has supported me the most through UPT) or should they be given to someone else special (i.e. relative). If the other 1/2 is meant to be given to the person who supported you the most, then obviously that's my wife, but if that's not necessarily the point behind it, then I'd like to do something else for her and give the wings to someone else. Guess I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this/what you did.

Funny this topic popped-up again. I just had my "Breaking of the Wings" story and my half of the wings framed this past weekend. They had been sitting in my house since 2003 and I finally decided to get it done. Had the story surrounded by a blue matting and had the 1/2 set of wings centered as if whole set, below the story. The lady at the frameshop couldn't figure out why I did that way, then I asked her if she read the story. Her answer was "no". Told her it was to highlight that half the wings are missing.

I'm single, so I didn't have your problem. I gave the half to my grandparents since they are from the WWII era. They still have them and my grandmother still wears her gold Tweet pin everyday that she bought at my track select.

• 7 months later...
Revival: I know we're doing the breaking of the wings on Friday, but was wondering who exactly I should give them to. The real question is are these something that should be given to my wife (obviously the one who has supported me the most through UPT) or should they be given to someone else special (i.e. relative). If the other 1/2 is meant to be given to the person who supported you the most, then obviously that's my wife, but if that's not necessarily the point behind it, then I'd like to do something else for her and give the wings to someone else. Guess I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this/what you did.

Revival: I have the same question as Brabus. Did you end up giving the wings to your wife, Brabus?

Married: The Wife

Single: Parents/Grandparents/aunt/uncle

Girlfriend: buy her the "Sweetehart" wings, but parents get the real deal if she isn't living with you... if she is living with you, then honestly, I don't know. That's your call to make.

Fiance': Read "Girlfriend"

But, that's from a wife's point of view.

Edited by The Kayla

Guest tmickel

I gave the broken wings to my dad. He's been a huge supporter of mine throughout my AF career (13 years and counting) and is prior AF himself.

My wife pinned my wings and received the mini-wings necklace.

Everyone's happy.

Do whatever feels right to you, and everyone will be cool with it.

Guest lovemyflyboy

I told my husband to give the other half of his wings to one of his brothers. He initially was going to give them to me, but if the point is for the halves to be "apart", I figured they should go to someone who isn't going to live with him for the rest of his life. I didn't see the point in having the 2 halves in the same household. He did get me a sweetheart wings necklace though, and I was perfectly happy with that.

I gave mine to my younger sister. Growing up I was essentially her father figure and I felt it would mean more to her than to my wife. It's like Tmickel said, just do what feels right.

Although UPT feels like the hardest part of your life, and it probably is up to that point, your wife will have many more opportunities to support you and it won't be long before those "broken wings" would be forgotten by her while you are deployed with newborn kids at home while prepping for a PCS when you get back. UPT can quickly become the "good old days" to both of you.

I ended up giving mine to my brother. He's 3 yrs behind me and on the same track, so I figured it would mean more to him since he has the same dream. Plus, I decided it made more sense to have the two halves in different places instead of in the same house the rest of my life...that's sort of the point of breaking them in half.

Guest soflguy
I ended up giving mine to my brother. He's 3 yrs behind me and on the same track, so I figured it would mean more to him since he has the same dream. Plus, I decided it made more sense to have the two halves in different places instead of in the same house the rest of my life...that's sort of the point of breaking them in half.

I agree with brabus... no point in giving them to your wife... they're supposed to be separated and never come together until you die. I gave mine to my folks because they supported me, and they live a long way away. That's kind of my take on it. And I though aeroriginals did a pretty good job with the frame and all that.

anybody at corpus do the breaking of the wings ceremony recently ? and where can you buy sweetheart wings, mini wing necklaces and stuff like that ? Thanks

This information is 5 years old, but when we were @ Corpus they had people set up in the lobby on the day of the winging that sold framed paintings/sketches of the training planes and the Herk, all of the mini-wings jewelry, videos of the ceremony, etc.

This information is 5 years old, but when we were @ Corpus they had people set up in the lobby on the day of the winging that sold framed paintings/sketches of the training planes and the Herk, all of the mini-wings jewelry, videos of the ceremony, etc.

If they don't have what KM said above,

Ediger's here in Enid has sweetheart Wings..

Ediger's Diamonds Limited

(580) 237-2101

• 3 years later...

Maybe I missed something along the years, but I don't remember a 'breaking the wings' tradition.

Rainman, is this a true tradition in the AF over the years? Or did someone come up with this 'tradition' to make $ or carry this over from another service?

Just curious. TIA.

Batman

Thread revival bc we'll be doing this for our graduation. My dad did it at his and he got his wings in the 80's, so it's not really that new.

Edited by Infamous

• 5 years later...