Baseops Forums
ClearedHot

History Friday

On April 10, 2017 at 1:25 AM, ClearedHot said:

Terrible news.

I've known Rocky for many years, he was quite the character and remained connected to aviation through a group of remote control aviators in NW Florida.  The group of "Old Guys" were my heros, most were former military with incredible stories of service to their country.  I wish you all could have met them...Dr Jack who lied about his age to enlist and serve in Korea, he used his GI Bill to complete Dental School and raised six kids almost entirely on his own, his wife died shortly after the sixth child was born.  He was so proud that he got all six through college.  There was another character named Ugo Ferrari who served 28 years on active duty and another 24 as a government civilian developing weapons. And there was Rocky who dealt with the injures form being shot down for the rest of his life but never asked for special treatment.  He was gruff but would do anything for anyone.  Rest easy gentlemen.

Yeah, I'm the former VP and current safety officer of the RC club.  Rocky taught me everything I know about RC...  Knew Ugo before he died too.  Thanks for the words.  Like you said, Rocky was gruff as hell, but had a big heart.

Edited by zrooster99
Additional
  • Upvote 1

"Jul. 4 1989 was a hell of an Independence Day for the 32nd TFS (Tactical Fighter Squadron) “Wolfhounds”, a unit of the USAFE based at Soesterberg AB (Air Base), in Netherlands.

In fact when Captains J.D. “JD” Martin and Bill “Turf” Murphy were scrambled with their F-15C Eagle fighter jets, they could not imagine that their mission was to intercept a very strange MiG."

With audio from the F-15s

https://theaviationist.com/2012/10/03/mig23-belgium/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Belgian_MiG-23_crash

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Majestik Møøse said:

War is Boring are such fools. Flying Nightmare, GMAFB. 

I don’t know, I think it’s a fitting description.  If the thing actually flew, it looks like it would be a horrible nightmare for both the flyers and maintainers.

• Upvote 2

Here's a gem from 2006 at a deployed location, back when morale actually was "Pretty Darned Good"!  A toast to the fantastic maintainers and aircrew that kept the HERK mission moving.  :beer::beer::beer:  :notworthy:

Cheers

316 - 746 AMU.jpg

Edited by ROCK 10
spellin'
  • Upvote 3

I was sent this by a U-2 guy and figured I'd post it here. Interesting look back at Patton.  

Today, December 16, is the 74th anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge. Here is a link to a related story of leadership and prayer. Enjoy.

http://myvfw.org/va/dist10/uncategor...s-prayer-1944/

My uncle was caught behind lines in the Battle of the Bulge and fought his way out.  Harrowing story.  The era of "iron men and wooden ships".  

• Like 1

I have 2 great uncles that fought in the Battle of the Bulge. 1 is still alive. I went to Bastogne 10 years or so ago and took a bunch of pictures for him. Amazing to have him tell stories when he saw the pics. He heard his brother was there as well and went to find him. Found each other, shared a frozen K ration for Christmas dinner, and then went back to their units. One uncle was riding on a tank the next day and they came under German artillery fire, knocking him off the tank and unconscious. Woke up and only heard German voices. Played dead until he heard English voices again. Not sure how long he was out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have several of Bob Stevens' There I Was... books around here, great cartoons from the good ol' days! 

Image result for Bob Stevens' There I Was
3xegvrtfjiay.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=182068b3a09f00a617fee0b7d51554feb701a569

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1