So there I was...

osulax05

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a LT, I'm thinking about telling a CMSgt to do pushups for taking the last Mt. Dew out of the snack bar just to get this thread back on it's original topic.

Looking to be a terminal 1Lt, are we?

Just to add a little of my own 2Lt buffoonery in regards to customs and courtesies. For whatever reason I just can't get it right with Maxwell and ROTC folks. When I was here for field training I called the COC (O-4) a CTA during in-prossessing. It was a good first impression. Jump ahead now to ASBC at the exact same building. A couple of CTA's are standing around getting ready for a new field training class. About ten minutes later there are only two left and I walk up to ask them if there's a bathroom in the building. "Hey fellas what's up? There's a bathroom up in here right?" I get a bewildered look and a "Uh, yeah I think so." Remembering field training I look up at the "CTA's" hats just to make sure as I start to go in the building. Always great to treat to an O-6 and an O-3 like a couple of ROTC college juniors. I did the akward stutter step and "Aaahh, sorry, I mean thanks offic...." as I walked inside. SA = 0. Before seeing their rank it didn't even occur to me that they were 50 and 30 years old. A lame story but a little more on track with the original post.

• 7 months later...
Guest rivet_doobie
Before I share my story, I just want to say that this is not intended to be an academy bashing thread. I simply thought I'd share a funny thing that happened to me at the gym yesterday.

So there I was lifting here at Shaw yesterday, and this guy who is decked out in USAFA clothing is using all the same equipment as I am. So after a few min I say hi and ask him what he does. He says that he is a pilot. I ask him what squadron he is in, and he says he's going to pilot training next month. I kindly respond by saying, "If you haven't graduated pilot training I wouldn't go around saying that you ARE a pilot buddy." Quickly he says that's sir to you. This is where I get angry because he is clearly a new 2Lt who thinks his sh!t doesn't stink (BTW I'm a Lt as well). I decide to blow him off (sts) but as I'm walking away, he asks me if that is how I treat officers. :nob: I decide to tell him that I was also a Lt and that if he insists on pulling rank, then I'd be more than happy to find a SNCO for him to practice with.

Damn... I'm getting angry again just writing this.

Anybody else have stories like this?

Sounds like some casual Lt biotch! I'd find out what squadron that kid's attached to, look up the USAFA grads that are REAL pilots, and have them f*** his shit up! I'm not bashing the zoo, either, as I'm a zoo grad. We don't need posers like that giving us a bad name (the rape scandals take care of that, LOL). LT Biotch needs to learn to not open his mouth so fast before he gets f*cked up at UPT. I used to teach at UPT... find out what base he's going to and I'll see if any of my old connections are still there to take care of 'em. Jackass will probably SIE anyway.

Edited by rivet_doobie

Guest rivet_doobie
Do FAIP's go to SERE?

Yes, they go when a slot open up. I went to SERE after I finished with PIT. As for the other assclownery, I never was a strict "gimme a salute". The only time I required it was at the formal briefing where it's expected. I would end up saluting my students that outranked me after we flew! Also, whatever Lt demands a salute from another Lt needs to learn that they don't know jack shit!

Guest Matt Damon

Wow, this is quite a thread.

As a current 1Lt (two years without a DUI and they promote me, imagine that!) I know that as a 2Lt I never saluted other Lts because I was worried that it would come off as 'uncool'. And plus I didn't want to look like a douche nozzle. And today if a 2Lt saluted me I would laugh them into embarrassment as I demanded that they do 20 push-ups. I think that would teach them a valuable lesson.

Lieutenants don't salute Lieutenants!

Wow, this is quite a thread.

As a current 1Lt (two years without a DUI and they promote me, imagine that!) I know that as a 2Lt I never saluted other Lts because I was worried that it would come off as 'uncool'. And plus I didn't want to look like a douche nozzle. And today if a 2Lt saluted me I would laugh them into embarrassment as I demanded that they do 20 push-ups. I think that would teach them a valuable lesson.

Lieutenants don't salute Lieutenants!

I had a few bright-eyed Randolph casuals salute me (1Lt) while I was there for EWO school. I told them to knock it off, and one told me that another 1Lt had told him they were supposed to salute. I told him he was to slap the next 1Lt who demanded a salute.

Tell that to the SNCOs during combined ops at ASBC... you wouldn't believe how awesome it is to watch a group of people have an anyeurism over it.

I remember that...I was the only one who apparently thought it was normal for LTs not to salute other LTs. The rest of the group just had a shit fit. You're right, it really was comical.

Tell that to the SNCOs during combined ops at ASBC... you wouldn't believe how awesome it is to watch a group of people have an anyeurism over it.

This is where people get the mentality to check sock colors, point out morale patches are unauthorized, and tell you to take the sunglasses off your head. What we need to do is indoctrinate the new soon-to-be flyers before they go to ASBC, and hope that they can change the rest of the shoe-clerk mindset while the new LTs are still fresh and able to be molded.

Guest Hueypilot812

Most of the LTs out there that demand stupid things like a 2Lt render them salutes is based mostly on inexperience. In AETC-world, those guys are taught stuff like that and it takes a few times of getting laughed at or smacked around to realize that's not how it really is. For example, after graduating OTS, one of my friends started to "correct" a Chief that was holding the door open for us at the post office, and wasn't wearing a hat. I interrupted just as he was about to point out the lack of a salute and hat by saying "Thanks, Chief!". Inside I had to explain the reality, and that scolding a CMSgt who was trying to do something nice like hold a door open wasn't a good idea.

However, morons in my next story don't really have an excuse, they are just ass clowns. I was at OKAS a couple years ago, about the time they started the mandatory PT gear thing. Our OG there was Col "Fun Burgler" McDonald, and required that those in PT uniform should render salutes to those outranking them in normal DFDU/DCU uniforms. So, I was walking from my dorm room up to eat chow, in my PT gear. Along comes a Captain from our sister airlift squadron walking the opposite way with a bug-out bag on his back. He was probably from Pope or Ramstein, and I was from Dyess, so we didn't know each other. As I was about to pass him, he starts raising his hand to salute, slowly. I was confused thinking "is this guy actually gonna salute me?", and I saluted as well, but also thinking "what an idiot". By this point I had already passed him and he turns around and says "It's about time, you're supposed to salute senior officers in uniform" in a pretty disgusted tone. I turn around and said "OHHHH, that's what you thought...I just thought you were being an idiot trying to salute a fellow captain in PT gear", and kept on going. I hope he felt like an ass clown for that.

This is where people get the mentality to check sock colors, point out morale patches are unauthorized, and tell you to take the sunglasses off your head.

A little OT but I was told by a Lt Col to take my sunglasses off my head while I was in civvies because I might "get in a bad habit" and do it in uniform. :salut:

Seems to me y'all are more worried about looking like a "douche nozzle", or trying to be "a cool dude, bro". Get over it. You're in the military now, and there are some great traditions,... some are called "customs and courtesies". They are not designed to demean or "put you down, braa". If you can walk toward someone, and say "hey, how are you today", and wave your hand,.... well, instead of waving, just try saluting. It doesn't hurt. Is this some sort of "millenium generation" mentality? No, 'cause someone will chime in how Uncle Albert, who was in the Korean War said he never saluted a fellow Lieutenant,... blah, blah.

Go ahead, pounce on me, since I'm probably in the minority on this thread. But I had no issue saluting when I was a 2Lt (should I have?). And, no, I never said a word if a 2Lt didn't salute me when I was a 1Lt,... oddly enough, I can't remember that ever happening. But don't go making excuses as to why YOU feel it's all about YOUR interpretation of what military customs are about and YOU don't think this applies to you. Salute a senior ranking commissioned officer. Just do it and move one.

Our OG there was Col "Fun Burgler" McDonald, and required that those in PT uniform should render salutes to those outranking them in normal DFDU/DCU uniforms.

You mean the O-6 Herk Nav that has something like 300 hours of flying :rainbow:

I was at OKAS when he was the OG/CC and he ordered everyone to stop eating at the Army LSA and use the AF chow hall cause everyone went to the other side. OKAS has the worst food in the AOR.

I'm probably in the minority on this thread.

I'm with you on this one. Especially in AETC where you can't tell if that 1LT is really some douchebag FAIP who's pissed at the world. Going in and out of the OG building for sims every day (guess where I am) you see the new casuals or UPT studs who just got there and I, as a 2Lt, have been saluted by a nervous casual 2Lt or two. I return the favor and don't make a big deal out of it because in the end it is just a respectful way of saying hello.

Enough of that, my real point is... where does it end? Should 1LTs not salute Captains? There was a dude a few classes ahead of me who was an O-3 and laughed every time some 2LT saluted him around base... discuss.

I'm with you on this one. Especially in AETC where you can't tell if that 1LT is really some douchebag FAIP who's pissed at the world. Going in and out of the OG building for sims every day (guess where I am) you see the new casuals or UPT studs who just got there and I, as a 2Lt, have been saluted by a nervous casual 2Lt or two. I return the favor and don't make a big deal out of it because in the end it is just a respectful way of saying hello.

Enough of that, my real point is... where does it end? Should 1LTs not salute Captains? There was a dude a few classes ahead of me who was an O-3 and laughed every time some 2LT saluted him around base... discuss.

There was a dude in my JSUNT class that was promoted to Captain halfway through. He always just shook his head when we started saluting him. There were several (joking) threats about what would happen if we kept saluting him.

But I had no issue saluting when I was a 2Lt (should I have?). And, no, I never said a word if a 2Lt didn't salute me when I was a 1Lt,... oddly enough, I can't remember that ever happening. But don't go making excuses as to why YOU feel it's all about YOUR interpretation of what military customs are about and YOU don't think this applies to you. Salute a senior ranking commissioned officer. Just do it and move one.