CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) info

HuggyU2

Guest FortSam

....total crickets on this thread, but for what it's worth, the FAR's are being re-written.

FAR 61.73(g) will **hopefully** include easier means for military instructors to obtain their civilian instructor certificates, without spending thousands in exams, orals, flights, and checkrides.... like what I did.

Edited by FortSam

• 1 month later...
Guest Hueypilot812

I have a question related to this...

I have a Commercial multi-engine land/helicopter certificate with an instrument rating, however my single-engine rating is "private privileges only". I know you cannot hold a CFI without a commercial certificate. So would this automatically restrict me to only instructing in multi-engine aircraft? I'm guessing I'd have to accomplish the practical portion of the SEL to actually instruct in a SEL aircraft. I am not worried about the helo rating, since I haven't flown one in nearly 10 years. Just looking for a way to teach my kids/family/friends in SEL if I choose to do so. Thanks.

Update: Mr Obama put out an Executive Order suspending all new law changes until his team looks every thing over. This includes the CFI equivalency.

There is no ETIC on how long this delay will take. More to follow...

Edited by Huggyu2

Update: Mr Obama put out an Executive Order suspending all new law changes until his team looks every thing over. This includes the CFI equivalency.

I'm at AIS in OKC right now and one of the instructors here said that some folks in AFFSA have already taken advantage of the new rule...I'll investigate further on Monday to see what the real story is.

On that note, if anybody has any other questions they want answered while I'm here at the source, PM me and I'll get the scoop. I'll be here until the 30th.

From the horse's mouth here at AIS: Huggy is correct, Sheppard Air has the most current info. The new rule has not been signed off by the Administrator yet and there is no ETIC. It sounds like the rule was held up before Obama's executive order was signed, so there may be other issues at play.

My original confusion came about because some of the guys here have put all their ducks in a row so that when the rule is signed, they can pull the trigger and get their certs immediately. I misinterpreted that to mean they had already received them.

I've got two more days here, if there are any more questions, you know where to find me.

In the American Flyers renewal program, are the tests timed?

No they are not. When I renewed, I could keep open the test screen as well as the subject screen at the same time. That way, if I did not know the answer, I could search to find it. Or cut and paste and print the subject and then open the test section. The slow part was waiting the minimum time required before it would let you take the test.

• 1 month later...
Guest Cap-10

Highlights from Sheppard Air as of 4 Mar:

Rule was on temp hold when new administration put all new laws on hold until further review. Made it past that step and is now at Dept of Transpo. Once signed, it will take 2 weeks to get into the Federal Registry, and another 60 days for the effective date.

As for required testing, they are now on change 4, (which is really change 2 again), which would invent a new test called the Mil Comp to Flight Instructor (MCFI) test, which would be taken in place of the 3 standard FOI, FIA, and FII tests that the average guys would be required to take.

As always, standy by to standy by...

Cheers,

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

• 4 months later...
Guest Cap-10

From Sheppard Air as of 10 July: The new FAA administrator has signed the final rule on the Part 61 change, and they have been working on a press release. Rule has been sent to Federal Register for publication, which can take 1-2 weeks...and since that update was 10 Jul, and it's already been 2 weeks, I bet it's going to be more like 6-9 weeks!!!

Wait for it....

Cheers,

Cap-10

As a former military IP and now as a current contract IP for the military (military trained and given AF checkrides) at Kirtland, part 61.73 paragraph(g)excludes former military IPs from gaining CFI add-on to current ticket. What gives??

Guest Cap-10

As a former military IP and now as a current contract IP for the military (military trained and given AF checkrides) at Kirtland, part 61.73 paragraph(g)excludes former military IPs from gaining CFI add-on to current ticket. What gives??

Eeyore,

You are correct that the current part 61 doesn't allow any type of "mil comp" to CFI like the current multi-commercial-instrument that you can get when you grad UPT. But the 'new' part 61 that has been signed by the FAA administrator is in the wickets to get published on the national register, and when it's published, it will establish a means for military IPs to get their civilian CFI/CFII/MEI equivalency.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cap-10

2 years after the NPRM was submitted, it's finally done:

Published in Federal Register today, giving an effective date of 20 Oct 09.

Highlights include:

Will only have to take one written test.

Military flight physical (AF 1042) qualifies in lieu of Class 3 medical.

Military Instructor Qual Checkrides counts for renewing CFI

You can read the New Final part 61, as well as some other gouge at Sheppard Air Mil Comp Page

Cheers,

Cap-10

Guest Cap-10

How soon does this take effect? Can we sart the process immediatly?

tac,

Not sure how to add the face slap icon from my iPhone, however...

Did you actually read my post (hint: effective date is in my post) or actually go to the link I provided? I assume not because if you did, you would have found the answer to your question.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 2 months later...

Update. Just completed the Mil-comp deal yesterday. The process couldn't have been easier. All that the BHM FSDO needed was a copy of my Form 8, valid DL, and filled out 8710 (civilian application for rating) and I left with CFI, CFI-I, and MEI.

Congrats! I took the test last week but haven't been to the FSDO yet. I'll go next week and hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did for you. I used Sheppard Air for the test prep. How about you? Sheppard Air was $50 for the test prep but then they rebated it back to me because I was one of the first 25 people to give them feedback. Sweet.

Congrats! I took the test last week but haven't been to the FSDO yet. I'll go next week and hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did for you. I used Sheppard Air for the test prep. How about you? Sheppard Air was $50 for the test prep but then they rebated it back to me because I was one of the first 25 people to give them feedback. Sweet.

I had a current CFI that was going to expire 31 Oct so I didn't have to take the test. Not a bad deal!

I had a current CFI that was going to expire 31 Oct so I didn't have to take the test. Not a bad deal!

Not a bad deal at all. Congrats.