CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) info

HuggyU2

I'm pretty sure I'm reading it wrong, but does SFAR 100-2 provide for CFI reinstatement just by being deployed?

Not quite. This only lets you substitute an expired certificate for an unexpired one, and your certificate had to have expired while you were deployed or within 6 months of your return. The normal CFI renewal methods still apply.

-9-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Nineline

what does renew with checkride mean? I can send in a copy of my most recent Form 8 that's less than 12 months old as proof and reset my CFI clock?

what does renew with checkride mean? I can send in a copy of my most recent Form 8 that's less than 12 months old as proof and reset my CFI clock?

Yes... but you'll have to do it in person vice mail it in.

61.197 (a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that flight instructor certificate by—

(2) Submitting a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following renewal requirements

(iv) A record showing that, within the preceding 12 months from the month of application, the flight instructor passed an official U.S. Armed Forces military instructor pilot proficiency check.

Now I am confused... (not hard to do)

I have my Mil Comp CFI testing done, but I haven't taken it to a FSDO yet. Once I do that and get the rating added, I have to hand-carry a copy of my Form 8 to the FSDO to renew every 12 months?

I have my Mil Comp CFI testing done, but I haven't taken it to a FSDO yet. Once I do that and get the rating added, I have to hand-carry a copy of my Form 8 to the FSDO to renew every 12 months?

A CFI certificate is valid for 24 calendar months. You can renew via a few different methods. In this case, you can renew it by proving that within the last 12 months (ie...not send something in every 12 months), you served in some capacity as a instructor for the Air Force. So as long as you still hold your instructor qual and actually fly, then you should be good to go.

Edit: If you are no longer a military instructor, you can also renew it via a Flight instructor refresh course (FIRC). I have used the online FIRC from American Flyers 4 times now and have only paid once. Pretty decent deal, considering many other companies charge you ~$100 every two years.

http://www.americanflyers.net/cfi_renewal.htm

Edited by SocialD

Some DPEs (Designated Pilot Examiners - essentially franchised EPs) can do the mil comp for you. I know one guy at Eglin who does it for $200. They charge, but sometimes they are more convenient than getting to a FSDO.

Go here: http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp

Put "Military Competency / Foreign Pilot Examiner" in the designee tab

Some DPEs (Designated Pilot Examiners - essentially franchised EPs) can do the mil comp for you. I know one guy at Eglin who does it for $200. They charge, but sometimes they are more convenient than getting to a FSDO.

Go here: http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp

Put "Military Competency / Foreign Pilot Examiner" in the designee tab

Crazy Carl (now of Columbus AND Oakland) will do it for a cool $500...one of several reasons I've never used him for any of my civilian stuff.

Can anyone shed some light on approx what aero club instructors make/hr? Thinking about volunteering since it'd be fun, and wondering if they pay would be even more of an incentive.

Can anyone shed some light on approx what aero club instructors make/hr? Thinking about volunteering since it'd be fun, and wondering if they pay would be even more of an incentive.

I was getting $25/hr a few years ago. Rates are set by each base.

This doesn't have to do with the CFI mil comp per se, but was the best thread to ask the question. I have the standard Commercial MEL Instrument (center line thrust rest.) that everybody got out of UPT. I have flown very little GA in my life and now need to get a SEL commercial add-on and had a couple questions for you all. First, does anyone know of any mil friendly flight schools and FEs in the San Antonio area to accomplish this training? Secondly, any recommendations on how much training is needed prior to the checkride? After googling a few flights schools, there seemed to be wide variation in training amount (if at all) prior to receiving a checkride. Much thanks in advance.

Thanks guys!

Not sure if you're in LR, but if you are, there's a dude up near Cabot that does them for less than $100 IIRC. He's a DPE that does Mil-Comp stuff on the side. You drive to his house, he does about 30 min worth of work, write him a check, and you have your paper CFI. Definitely less ass pain than going to a FSDO. I don't remember his name but I found it on this forum.

$200? Seems pretty high.

Maybe I don't understand the issue, but at some point, you'll leave military flying and might have to take the CFI refresher every 2 years. Just sign up now, and do the American Flyers. It's a one time fee of $99, and you're done.

Additionally, they will do your renewal for $25... not $200. I live 30 miles from my FSDO. The 60 mile roundtrip... have to make an appointment.... do the paperwork... etc... makes this $25 fee a no-brainer.

So sure... you can go through the thrash of using your military IP creds to renew... or save yourself a lot of time and effort and just do it online.

• Upvote 1

$200? Seems pretty high.

Maybe I don't understand the issue, but at some point, you'll leave military flying and might have to take the CFI refresher every 2 years. Just sign up now, and do the American Flyers. It's a one time fee of $99, and you're done.

Additionally, they will do your renewal for $25... not $200. I live 30 miles from my FSDO. The 60 mile roundtrip... have to make an appointment.... do the paperwork... etc... makes this $25 fee a no-brainer.

So sure... you can go through the thrash of using your military IP creds to renew... or save yourself a lot of time and effort and just do it online.

This is to get an initial CFI certificate through mil comp vice simply renewing a certificate that has already been issued. Shack on the renewal -American Flyers for renewals is worth every penny.

In the Pensacola/Eglin/Hurlburt area, the servicing FSDO is up in Birmingham -a four hour drive one way. It's also not located on an airfield.

The DPE's logic was "You can take a day of leave, drive up to Birmingham and get the FSDO to do it, or I can do it over lunch for $200. Your call."

Edited by Dupe
  • Upvote 1

This doesn't have to do with the CFI mil comp per se, but was the best thread to ask the question. I have the standard Commercial MEL Instrument (center line thrust rest.) that everybody got out of UPT. I have flown very little GA in my life and now need to get a SEL commercial add-on and had a couple questions for you all. First, does anyone know of any mil friendly flight schools and FEs in the San Antonio area to accomplish this training? Secondly, any recommendations on how much training is needed prior to the checkride? After googling a few flights schools, there seemed to be wide variation in training amount (if at all) prior to receiving a checkride. Much thanks in advance.

Have you flown anything single engine in the AF? If so, just take a form8 to the fsdo and enjoy your asel commercial. No additional testing required.

Just added my CSEL last year. Background is A-10/T-38 IP/EP and ATP with numerous large aircraft type ratings. No single engine time meant I had to do the checkride. I ended up flying 4-5 hours with an instructor in a 172 prior to the check which I flew with a DPE who happened to be a First Officer with AA. We did normal, short field, soft field takeoffs and landings, chandelle, 8's around a pylon, stalls, and a power off 180 to a landing. I'd rate my least graceful event was landing. Finding that flare picture with my butt just a couple feet off the ground after decades of 10 feet or better took a few attempts before I found something reasonable.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if you're in LR, but if you are, there's a dude up near Cabot that does them for less than $100 IIRC. He's a DPE that does Mil-Comp stuff on the side. You drive to his house, he does about 30 min worth of work, write him a check, and you have your paper CFI. Definitely less ass pain than going to a FSDO. I don't remember his name but I found it on this forum.

I'm almost positive I know who you're talking about. Anyone feel free to PM me for his name and contact info if you want it.

There can't be too many DPEs in Cabot. I used him to get my civilian L-382 type when I was in PIQ at the rock. I think it took $75 and 30 minutes IIRC.

Edited by Gus Chiggins

• 3 months later...

For those that are currently wondering who to use for CFI refresher, I'll offer a strong endorsement for American Flyers.  Their Flight Instructor Online Refresher Course and optional application processing are awesome.  

I realized a couple days ago (Saturday the 26th) that my CFI certificate was set to expire on the 30th of this month.  Low SA on my part!  With only 4 days left to get it all done, I signed up for their lifetime refresher course ($99), took the quick online course in a couple hours while on a layover, and then opted for their assisted processing ($25) to get it all done.  As of today (Monday the 28th), I have my new temporary CFI certificate and it couldn't have been easier.  Great customer service too as most of it was done over a weekend.  Highly recommend!

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, gucci said:

Anyone have any recommendations on where to do the Single-Engine CFI add-on? Also for those that have done it, how difficult was the oral and how much did you study for it?

If your near LR I can get it done for you.  We have MIL friendly DPEs and reasonable rental rates.  I also understand where you're coming from as a military IP.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this would be of interest to some. FAA came out with a notice of proposed rulemaking that basically allows current IPs to use their Form 8 to renew an expired CFI cert. or add on a privilege to an expired CFI cert. without having to take a checkride. Few other small changes as well. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-05-12/pdf/2016-10168.pdf

• Upvote 2

Interesting back story on Gucci's post above. Shortly after I made my post at the top of this page about rehacking expired CFI via IP Form 8, I contacted the FAA trying to get either an exception to the rule or get the rule changed. After several messages and phone calls, the guy said he would see what he could do. I hadn't heard anything else until my instructor at AIS mentioned the change and then Gucci's post corroborated. So shockingly, it appears the system worked.

Need some advice: I got my CFII mil comp from the FSDO then like an idiot......let it lapse.  I have a current IP Form 8 but want to have my ducks in a row when I go to the FSDO and beg for mercy.  Has anyone else done this? Thanks for any tips/advice.

Need some advice: I got my CFII mil comp from the FSDO then like an idiot......let it lapse.  I have a current IP Form 8 but want to have my ducks in a row when I go to the FSDO and beg for mercy.  Has anyone else done this? Thanks for any tips/advice.

There is no mercy. You have to do a new flight check.