CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) info

HuggyU2

Do you have to be current and qualified to take the MCI?

to take the test? No. Read what others have said about the FSDO, and I will report back once I've done that part, but sheppardair has some good gouge. Next step for me after the MCI test is to fill out the application on IACRA to get the ball rolling. Then i've been told I will need to make an appt with the FSDO for a face-to-face. Hope to walk out of there with an NVG endorsement and an S-70 type rating on top of my CFI/CFII.

For the CFII, the FSDO wanted to see my test score sheet, a Form 8 that says I was an instructor in something That was pretty easy.

For the type rating, they wanted a Form 8 and an ARMS printout showing PIC time. We don't log PIC time so I have to convince him that Primary time was the 'same'.

Every FSDO is different though. The process isn't spelled out anywhere and they don't do this often. Just print off every document you can find with your name on it saying you are a pilot. I had FEFs, 1522s, the forms you get when you graduate IQT, ARMS printouts, etc. The more, the better.

Stract:

I tried to get the NVG IP endorsement at Little Rock FSDO. Even had the FAR printed out. The guy claimed to have no knowledge of it and refused. I'll try again next time I re-up my CFI. I don't need it right now, so whatevs.

Butters:

You only get a Flight Instructor rating for the category/class of aircraft if you were a military IP in that category/class of military aircraft.

Chida - call ahead and get someone on the phone who doesn't have a reading comprehension problem to help you out, or try a different FSDO altogether. I know the Scottsdale FSDO has been giving out the NVG endorsement...

When I got my MCI Flight instructor certificate, all I had to take in were the written results (thank you Sheppard Air) and an Instructor Form 8. I took in an Instrument/Qual Form 8 rather than a Mission one to alleviate any confusion about whether I was instrument qualified. They asked about a ground school certificate but I told them that fighter IPs don't get any kind of ground school certificate to go along with the Form 8 and they were fine with that explanation. It was simple and seamless. Definitely make an appointment though, the FSDO I went to was busy all day and I would have waited. I just called the day prior and was able to get one without any trouble.

Last thing is the type of Flight Instructor you'll get. You guys with F-16, T-6 or other single engine IP Form 8s will get CFI and CFII. And if you're a heavy guy without that stupid centerline thrust restriction, you'll also walk out with your MEI as long as you bring in an IP Form 8 from that jet too.

Edited by RTB

Last thing is the type of Flight Instructor you'll get. You guys with F-16, T-6 or other single engine IP Form 8s will get CFI and CFII. And if you're a heavy guy without that stupid centerline thrust restriction, you'll also walk out with your MEI as long as you bring in an IP Form 8 from that jet too.

If you don't have a single engine instructor Form 8, you'll get ONLY and MEI. You will be able to instruct in a Cessna 410, but not a 172 as moronic as that sounds.

If you don't have a single engine instructor Form 8, you'll get ONLY and MEI. You will be able to instruct in a Cessna 410, but not a 172 as moronic as that sounds.

True...IF your multi engine Form 8 is NOT a centerline thrust jet. I only got the CFII. They wouldn't give me an MEI or a CFI.

yup. Well, it's really $190 to get the CFI. Took me 30 min at the FSDO to walk out with CFI - Helicopter, S-70 type rating, and NVG/NVG instructor endorsement on Monday (Scottsdale).

yup. Well, it's really $190 to get the CFI. Took me 30 min at the FSDO to walk out with CFI - Helicopter, S-70 type rating, and NVG/NVG instructor endorsement on Monday (Scottsdale).

Why the hell are you paying the FSDO anything? I thought our tax dollars did that. I left the FSDO with my MEI, CFII and two type ratings as well, but it didn't cost me anything. Are you talking about taking the MCI test? If you are near the right AF base, you can get that for free as well (or actually use the GI Bill for reimbursement). It really should be free unless you have to take a flight test (single engine if you are a multi engine mil guy, for example).

AF bases don't do the testing anymore. It's $140 (With the $10 AOPA discount) to take a CATS/Lasergrade test. And I didn't say I paid the FSDO, I said it's $190 to get your CFI. Since you have to have the MCI to make that happen...

• Upvote 1

AF bases don't do the testing anymore. It's $140 (With the $10 AOPA discount) to take a CATS/Lasergrade test. And I didn't say I paid the FSDO, I said it's $190 to get your CFI. Since you have to have the MCI to make that happen...

False. Some bases have resumed testing (Travis for one)...but good luck getting a testing slot anytime soon as they are booked solid almost 2 months out. Something about everyone rushing to take the ATP test before August because we're all getting RIFed....

FSDO trip should be free, although the paperwork can also be done by a DPE for a fee.

Forgive me if this was covered and I missed it, but do you need to be currently qualified as a multi-engine instructor for MEI vs CFI?

For instance, I have around 5-600 instructor hours in the E-3, but I'm not current in it. I am currently qualed in the T6B. Will I be restricted to CFI, since I am only current in a single engine aircraft or will my previous multi-engine instructor time count?

As long as you were an IP in the E-3, you'll get your MEI.

Cool. Thanks.

I just took the ATP written today. It was very minimal prep and it took longer to drive to the testing center than it did to take the test. I figure that if the military instructor equivalency is as easy, I'd be a fool not to take it.

Apparently to get you SE ATP you now must have 50 hours in type. For those of us multi engine babies this isn't an easy thing. Does anybody know about how many hours we received in the T-3a Firefly before it was grounded?

Are you taking about a SE-ATP that includes a type rating?

61.159 says you need 50 hours in "class", so any single engine land aircraft would do.

Cap-10

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net iOS App!

Edited by Cap-10

I got 15 in the T-3. Realize also you'll have to take a separate check ride for the SE ATP in a SE airplane.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Why even get a SE-ATP at all? I can think of only a couple of jobs that require it, and compensation/benefits are very low compared to being an AF rated officer. Think PC-12 for a regional flying Essential Air Services routes or the emerging 135 SR-22 market.

Why even get a SE-ATP at all? I can think of only a couple of jobs that require it, and compensation/benefits are very low compared to being an AF rated officer. Think PC-12 for a regional flying Essential Air Services routes or the emerging 135 SR-22 market.

Totally agree. About the only benefit is that it's one more box to check on an app - not worth the extra time and money IMO.

I would get (actually am getting ) the SE-ATP in order to get my CFI.

Your SE ticket has to be at least to a Commercial level in order to have the corresponding CFI. IMHO, the SE-ATP is an "easier" checkride then doing a SE-Commercial add on...short and soft field takeoff and landings, steep spiral, chandelles, lazy 8, eights on pylons, etc.

Cap-10

I would get (actually am getting ) the SE-ATP in order to get my CFI.

Your SE ticket has to be at least to a Commercial level in order to have the corresponding CFI. IMHO, the SE-ATP is an "easier" checkride then doing a SE-Commercial add on...short and soft field takeoff and landings, steep spiral, chandelles, lazy 8, eights on pylons, etc.

Cap-10

Right, but those same maneuvers (Shorts, softs, steep spiral, Chandelles, lazy-eights, and eights-on) come up again in the CFI checkride... Why not use the commercial rating to nail them?