Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

The Tops in Blue horse has been kicked to near death in another thread, but I have a reply to your post. I held your sentiment towards them once. I made it to several of their performances though, and even though back then if surrounded by my buds I would say they probably need to go, I enjoyed their performances and I noticed that a lot of people turned out for their shows, when they didn't have to. Over the course of the years I saw a few shows from TIB, who were performing when nobody else showed up, including your country singers. I haven't left one of their shows in the past few years thinking that we need to get rid of them. They are expensive, so there is an argument, akin to the GO's leaf rakers. You are a country singer guy. Some are rock and roll guys. Some are R&B guys, and some are rap guys. TIB deliberately incorporates all of those genres, and they go to where the troops are. That means something. Every rated officer in the USAF between the ranks of Lt to Lt Col will say that TIB needs to be axed, if they are around their buds. But at the end of the day, I've seen an awful lot of those folks at the TIB shows when they did not have to be there. If TIB's intent is to do good by increasing morale...for the operators who's intent is to do good by achieving the commander's intent...it starts looking like a team effort. The world does not evolve around you and your contribution to the mission. I am old. I believe only time will get you to that perspective. Now, if you despise the Tops in Blue because they do not offer you anything, fair enough. But that is your isolated opinion, on par with the fact that you like country music.

Can we do better with equal or lesser resources?

The Tops in Blue horse has been kicked to near death in another thread, but I have a reply to your post.

tumblr_mbwejaF4Th1qbd3zn.gif

The world does not evolve around you and your contribution to the mission.

According to this, you may or may not be correct...

milestones_of_evolution.jpg

I haven't left one of their shows in the past few years thinking that we need to get rid of them.

That's funny because I saw them 4 months ago and left halfway through the show after they butchered every song from every genre. A lot of people showed up, vets, locals, base personnel, and after about the first 20 minutes, there was a constant stream of people heading to the doors.

The Tops in Blue horse has been kicked to near death in another thread, but I have a reply to your post. I held your sentiment towards them once. I made it to several of their performances though, and even though back then if surrounded by my buds I would say they probably need to go, I enjoyed their performances and I noticed that a lot of people turned out for their shows, when they didn't have to. Over the course of the years I saw a few shows from TIB, who were performing when nobody else showed up, including your country singers. I haven't left one of their shows in the past few years thinking that we need to get rid of them. They are expensive, so there is an argument, akin to the GO's leaf rakers. You are a country singer guy. Some are rock and roll guys. Some are R&B guys, and some are rap guys. TIB deliberately incorporates all of those genres, and they go to where the troops are. That means something. Every rated officer in the USAF between the ranks of Lt to Lt Col will say that TIB needs to be axed, if they are around their buds. But at the end of the day, I've seen an awful lot of those folks at the TIB shows when they did not have to be there. If TIB's intent is to do good by increasing morale...for the operators who's intent is to do good by achieving the commander's intent...it starts looking like a team effort. The world does not evolve around you and your contribution to the mission. I am old. I believe only time will get you to that perspective. Now, if you despise the Tops in Blue because they do not offer you anything, fair enough. But that is your isolated opinion, on par with the fact that you like country music.

You know how I'm finally 100% sure that you're just a troll? You defended TIB.

• Upvote 2

TIB just breezed through Misawa. AFN saw a "blockbuster event," but all I saw (metaphorically, as I didn't attend) was 35 airmen not doing their primary duties. Surprise surprise...no operators.

There may not be any on this year's "team", but a couple years ago they had an AFSOC loadmaster and an ARABIC LINGUIST on the team. Yeah, it's two drops in a fairly large bucket, but I'm pretty sure those two Airmen could've been doing things in their career fields that actually contributed to the overall AF mission, rather than the embarrasment that is TIB.

Shoeclerky Oblivious Fucktard, you're a symptom of the disease that is rotting our Air Force from the inside out. Haze yourself until the noises stop.

• 2 months later...

So....TIB is performing in Wichita Falls tonight. I figured - what the hey, I've never seen them and probably shouldn't make fun of them until I can check them out for myself. Besides, there's nothing else to do Friday night, it's at the local entertainment center in town, and it's free...maybe I'll take the family.

Then yesterday an email goes out to the entire base, "All military members attending TIB will be in ABUs" (shortly corrected to include flight suits...apparently they just assumed no pilots would go).

God forbid you give the locals the impression that there aren't a bunch of military folks in the crowd. Sorry, I've been in uniform all week and I'm not keeping it on the go to a concert, so I guess I'll just have to make fun of them without ever seeing them.

So....TIB is performing in Wichita Falls tonight. I figured - what the hey, I've never seen them and probably shouldn't make fun of them until I can check them out for myself. Besides, there's nothing else to do Friday night, it's at the local entertainment center in town, and it's free...maybe I'll take the family.

Then yesterday an email goes out to the entire base, "All military members attending TIB will be in ABUs" (shortly corrected to include flight suits...apparently they just assumed no pilots would go).

God forbid you give the locals the impression that there aren't a bunch of military folks in the crowd. Sorry, I've been in uniform all week and I'm not keeping it on the go to a concert, so I guess I'll just have to make fun of them without ever seeing them.

"TIB is going to be on base. Use your off-duty time to enjoy what the Air Force has to offer! Everyone come & bring your family/friends!"

What? no sts? Meh, it's Sheppard. Not much else to do

"Make sure to wear ABUs"

let me get this straight, I have to wear a uniform in my off-duty time? A uniform I don't own?

"Oh. You can also wear a flightsuit"

Right, but I don't have to go to the club in uniform if I don't want to, but THIS is mandatory? Screw that.

Was the paint drying channel not on? Id rather watch that.

• Upvote 1

Active-Duty Drag Queens Find Home With Air Force Musical Ensemble

Read more: http://www.duffelblo.../#ixzz2Jf6GBNKY

Follow us: @theduffelblog on Twitter | duffelblog on Facebook

The Duffel Blog is sometimes referred to as “The military version of The Onion”, but this is a popular misconception. The misnomer was cleared up in May 2012 when TDB staff successfully conducted an airborne assault on the offices of The Onion News Network so that others would know “The Onion was actually the civilian version of The Duffel Blog.”

• Upvote 1

I thought we've cut all non-mission essential travel?? These guys are still around??

I can hear the bar pickup line from the band now. Yeah, I'm a warrior, I worked with combat controllers during OEF.

I don't know if it was this Air Force band or another one, but when we were deployed our PAIO asked them to play at our FOB. The funny thing is that when we told them they had to bring their body armor and weapons they responded with something along the lines of "well if we need weapons and body armor, then it's too dangerous for us there." The way I see it, if they're only here to support the troops, so long as it doesn't require them to 'rough it' in anything less than a 3 star hotel on a base safely out of harms way (and here I was, thinking they were in the military), then I think the money would be better spent on jet fuel. On top of that, have you ever met someone who said "gee, if it weren't for Tops in Blue I'd never have joined/stayed in the Air Force"? No? Do they travel to austere locations that WWF wrestlers, country singers, and B-List rock bands don't? Not in my experience. And how much do they cost again? Roughly xx personnel plus support staff who are perpetually TDY and burning up DTS, plus equipment maintenance, plus the cost in disruption to the mission and resources at bases where they perform, plus some other stuff I'm sure I'm missing... All I'm saying is that when you get poor, you gotta settle for basic cable.Edited for iPhone grammar

Edited by Duff_Man
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

A friend a mine sent along this little ACSC gem entitled, "Effects-Based Operations for USAF Band Operations." Just read the abstract and try to keep a straight face. It's from 2008 but I suspect the same arguments are being made today by TIB-types in the face of the current budget situation.

EBO for USAF Band Ops.pdf

Edited by ColoradoAviator

I raise you a memo by an ass-kicking Marine that says EBO is bunk. The enemy has a choice and the sight of TIB just might incite them to invade aw they will view TIB as a sign of our weakness.

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/parameters/Articles/08autumn/mattis.pdf

Can't Tosh.0 just but TIB on his show and the resulting publicity laughs TIB into extinction?

And I'm waiting for when TIB cancels all their shows and the funding is diverted to a few more flying hours.

Out

If I ever meet someone who argues for "Tactical Application of Band Resources" they will get kicked in the balls.

I understand that bands are if not heritage, at least tradition. Tactical Application of TIB Resources should involve sending them into a minefield to clear it by hand.

• Upvote 1