Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

• 1 month later...

Here's what you're missing - these folks are were hired and trained (some of them pretty extensively - SMSgt on the guitar) by tax payers to do a military job not play in a band. I don't care if the song is the best in the history of the world or the message is so amazing it makes me cum in my pants, it's still a waste of resources intended (and appropriated) for a different purpose. There are plenty of civilian bands who can and do create great music (to inlcude great military support messages), and it's the commercial artists who should be doing it -- not the military.

Guest NavDog
Here's what you're missing - these folks are were hired and trained (some of them pretty extensively - SMSgt on the guitar) by tax payers to do a military job not play in a band.

What do you think the guitar player's job is?

Here's what you're missing - these folks are were hired and trained (some of them pretty extensively - SMSgt on the guitar) by tax payers to do a military job not play in a band.

For AF band members, their actual career field is being a musician, so they're doing what the AF hired them to do. TIB, on the other hand, takes people out of their career fields to be temporary musicians.

For AF band members, their actual career field is being a musician, so they're doing what the AF hired them to do. TIB, on the other hand, takes people out of their career fields to be temporary musicians.

So TIB takes people out of their career fields to play "rock band" while others at their unit pick up their slack? This seems like a great use of resources in an AF that is already doing more with less.

So TIB takes people out of their career fields to play "rock band" while others at their unit pick up their slack? This seems like a great use of resources in an AF that is already doing more with less.

Maybe AF could just outsource the whole thing and rename it Tops in Brown & Root.

What do you think the guitar player's job is?

This is the actual AF band playing in this song not TIB. This is one of the parts of AF band known as "Max Impact". I recognized the black MSgt. from when they played on the national mall for the 4th of July last year.

I recognized the black MSgt. from when they played on the national mall for the 4th of July last year.

I was going to make a DADT comment but then realized it has been repealed.

Carry on.

Guest NavDog

This is the actual AF band playing in this song not TIB. This is one of the parts of AF band known as "Max Impact". I recognized the black MSgt. from when they played on the national mall for the 4th of July last year.

Sorry I wasn't clear about it but yeah, that was my point. The guitar player's job in the military is to play guitar, which he does quite well.

Oh sorry, I thought you were female, too.

My apologies.

WTF?! Where on earth did you get that from?

or is my sarcasm detector broke?

Edited by Scaredfuzz21

I don't care, I know RM is getting up there in years, probably got me confused with Masshole. Although has I been a member of the other gender the DADT joke would have been spot on. :salut:

• 8 months later...

Guys, we need to get rid of Tops In Blue a LONG, LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time before we should worry about generals and their aides*.

TIB just breezed through Misawa. AFN saw a "blockbuster event," but all I saw (metaphorically, as I didn't attend) was 35 airmen not doing their primary duties. Surprise surprise...no operators. Recommend a total TIB disband to make room for USO acts we actually want to see, like country musicians and hooters girls.

At least the folks working for flag officers are actually enhancing their efficiency. If I were a 4-star (HA!) and had to host dinner parties at home, there's no way my wifey would be cool making appetizers and drinks for "socialites" like Jill Kelley.

• Upvote 1

Guys, we need to get rid of Tops In Blue a LONG, LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time before we should worry about generals and their aides*.

TIB just breezed through Misawa. AFN saw a "blockbuster event," but all I saw (metaphorically, as I didn't attend) was 35 airmen not doing their primary duties. Surprise surprise...no operators. Recommend a total TIB disband to make room for USO acts we actually want to see, like country musicians and hooters girls.

At least the folks working for flag officers are actually enhancing their efficiency. If I were a 4-star (HA!) and had to host dinner parties at home, there's no way my wifey would be cool making appetizers and drinks for "socialites" like Jill Kelley.

The Tops in Blue horse has been kicked to near death in another thread, but I have a reply to your post. I held your sentiment towards them once. I made it to several of their performances though, and even though back then if surrounded by my buds I would say they probably need to go, I enjoyed their performances and I noticed that a lot of people turned out for their shows, when they didn't have to. Over the course of the years I saw a few shows from TIB, who were performing when nobody else showed up, including your country singers. I haven't left one of their shows in the past few years thinking that we need to get rid of them. They are expensive, so there is an argument, akin to the GO's leaf rakers. You are a country singer guy. Some are rock and roll guys. Some are R&B guys, and some are rap guys. TIB deliberately incorporates all of those genres, and they go to where the troops are. That means something. Every rated officer in the USAF between the ranks of Lt to Lt Col will say that TIB needs to be axed, if they are around their buds. But at the end of the day, I've seen an awful lot of those folks at the TIB shows when they did not have to be there. If TIB's intent is to do good by increasing morale...for the operators who's intent is to do good by achieving the commander's intent...it starts looking like a team effort. The world does not evolve around you and your contribution to the mission. I am old. I believe only time will get you to that perspective. Now, if you despise the Tops in Blue because they do not offer you anything, fair enough. But that is your isolated opinion, on par with the fact that you like country music.