Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

Q: "Why isn't my re-enlistment paperwork finished?"

A: "Oh, the guy that processes them is singing on TV."

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/526278/airman-makes-a-name-for-himself-on-x-factor-uk.aspx

Airman 1st Class Charlie Martinez, a 100th Force Support Squadron force management apprentice, tried out for and made it on the British television singing competition, X Factor United Kingdom.

[...]

Being in the military, Martinez had to start his X Factor process by making sure that everything he was doing, could do and could say was in the best interest of the Air Force, so the first step was to receive approval and media training from the 100th Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs before even trying out. He then received much higher clearance and more training as he made it further and further in the competition. "I even had to sing for my commander before she would let me go," Martinez said referring to the former 100th FSS commander, Lt. Col. April Dwyer.

[...]

Aside from the nerves brought on from singing in front of four famous judges, thousands of people and TV cameras, the Airman mentioned the British culture was probably his biggest challenge. He said everyone else there seemed to know what the audience and judges wanted to hear but when he read the list of songs available to him for what ended up being his last round, he had to choose one of the few that he even knew of - "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. He was then voted off the show but kept a positive attitude.

[...]

He says it'd be worth looking into trying out for Tops in Blue, an all-active duty Air Force special band of entertainers, so he can incorporate his love for singing and the Air Force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVniRoSvXyA

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/due-to-cuts-navy-bands-change-approach-1.313393

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/due-cuts-navy-bands-change-approach-26802654

To the Navy budget office, you've made the right choice.

The Navy Band-Mid South, and the Navy Band New Orleans, played their final performances earlier this year. Cuts to the Navy's music program led to a reduction of 122 musicians who were transferred to more sea-intensive duties [...] Navy bands serve many roles. They perform for sailors on ships and formal events for prominent dignitaries, but they also fill roles of community outreach and recruiting by playing at schools, parades and festivals. Each band can have a full band for large performances such as parades, plus a smaller rock band, a brass quintet and even a jazz combo taken from the musicians in the full band. [...] officials acknowledge some of the smaller gatherings, like the Bolivar festival, won't have a Navy band. [...] "It's very disappointing for me," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Jacob Stith, a 27-year-old guitar player from Elizabethtown, Kentucky, who has been transferred to Navy Band Great Lakes near Chicago. "I like this area a lot. I feel like the audiences I've been able to play for have been very appreciative."

I have one simple question: "What is the mission of the Navy?" Their official website says "The mission of the Navy is to maintain, train and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas." It is not to entertain baseball fans or parade attendees, and it isn't to recruit folks that are so easily swayed that they would swear allegiance because of a musical performance. Ceremonial events involving flag officers deserve a military band (if so desired); the college exhibition game in Podunkville, Kansas does not deserve a band of paid military servicemembers with funded TDY expenses. Edited by deaddebate

To the Navy budget office, you've made the right choice.I have one simple question: "What is the mission of the Navy?" Their official website says "The mission of the Navy is to maintain, train and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas." It is not to entertain baseball fans or parade attendees, and it isn't to recruit folks that are so easily swayed that they would swear allegiance because of a musical performance. Ceremonial events involving flag officers deserve a military band (if so desired); the college exhibition game in Podunkville, Kansas does not deserve a band of paid military servicemembers with funded TDY expenses.

OPSEC!

Don't you realize there are enemies of the state data mining open source information such as this? Do we want to help groups like ISIS / Al Queda figure out our Band order of battle amongst the different services?? And where we're now potentially coming up weak/short due to unit cuts such as these?? Make it difficult for them, even if its open source.

:usa:

Edited by MD
  • Upvote 2

Combined with EBABO, the BOOB is a serious national asset: Towards an Effects-Based Approach too USAF Band Operations

Yes, that is a for-real ACSC paper. Also apparently available on Amazon for $49.

Edit: Which has been posted before.

Muscle 2002

EBO...that's why TIB and the bands have not been cut during the sequester.

attachicon.gifEBO for USAF Band Ops.pdf

Edited by SurelySerious

• 4 weeks later...

The stage goes up, with or without volunteers easing the workload. The average time to get the stage set up is six hours, which can tire out the Tops in Blues members before their performance.

Yeah and I watch my loadmasters load tens of thousands of pounds of equipment with or without ATOC, during an 18+ hour day and then go back to asscrackistan to spend the night and do it all over again the next day. We all make life choices I know, but don't complain about getting paid to prance around a stage in sequin studded costumes.

Media interviews are common due to TiB members' unique experiences

Yeah like ditching their undermanned shops to put on a substandard show at the taxpayers and military's expense.

"Members dress in more comfortable clothing during the long drives the team endures"

It must suck to endure such hardships, like being shuttled around in a tour bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, 140 Joes crammed in the back of a C-17 for 11 hours while wearing body armor because SgtMaj said so have zero fucks to give.

Tops in Blue, living out all the High School drama club/band stereotypes well into adulthood.

• Upvote 3

I'm scheduled for CAS in a few days, and these fuckers just showed up to put on a performance that same day. "This is 9 line Tango India Bravo - type 1, bot..."

Fuck that, Type 3 for next 69 min. Feel free to work some combined attacks while you're at it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tops in Blue is performing at Bagram on Christmas Day and I cannot think of a worse way to spend my Christmas, or a worse birthday present to Jesus.

I have spent the last few days trying to convince my Army co-workers that Tops in Blue is like Civil Air Patrol, in that their uniforms might look similar, but they are not really in the Air Force.

Tops in Blue is performing at Bagram on Christmas Day and I cannot think of a worse way to spend my Christmas, or a worse birthday present to Jesus.

I have spent the last few days trying to convince my Army co-workers that Tops in Blue is like Civil Air Patrol, in that their uniforms might look similar, but they are not really in the Air Force.

Don't tell that to CapSoftSandy. Heard he was about to drop the AFTTP 3-3.C-172.

• Upvote 3

I'm scheduled for CAS in a few days, and these ######ers just showed up to put on a performance that same day. "This is 9 line Tango India Bravo - type 1, bot..."

Well, at least they're adhering to the new 3-09.3's min info gameplan requirement. So we got that going for us

Edited by Steve Holt!

• 1 month later...

apparently TIB is having trouble filling the ranks this year...

https://www.facebook.com/jqpublic/posts/835193759885460:0

Come on. The letter is fabulous and should be preserved and made accessible to those without facebook access. Emphasis added.

"Hello Family...I know each of you realize that the only time I write is when we need help that only the PRIORS can accomplish...and this is another one of those times.

We moved the '15 WWTC (which is now called Mission Audition) from early January till late February because of something I just can't believe...We don't have enough talent applications to even come close to filling a team!!!

I have fought many battles during my tenure as keeper of the flame...but never the lack of talent.

AS an example...only 6 total Male Vocalists now available to compete. We have quite a few very good Female Vocalists but few Instrumentalists, dancers, vocal self-accompanied or drivers also.

Sooooo...THE CLOSE OUT DATE IS 3 FEB...without help from all of you in identifying some new talent...our doors might be closing.

Knowing all the talent in the AF...we could never imagine this happening. I just don't believe the word is getting to the people.

If you need help with any aspect of helping... contact the office immediately...but please try to help, I know you also want YOUR legacy to continue!

I thank you in advance!

Tom Edwards"