Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

Anyone care to explain what this is all about?

Just by looking at the men you can tell that they can't dance. And is the chick in the bottom right corner actually a bloke?

And while we're at it, anyone fancy starting up a caption competition?

070501-F-0578M-251.jpg

Guest davalt10

070501-F-0578M-251.jpg

The dudes in the front row look like their laughing their asses off, and you can tell the guy in the bottom right is thinking about how stupid he looks.

I'm gonna ask a stupid-but-serious question.......

Is this REALLY an official, government-funded, "entertainment" organization within the Air Force???

a guy i work with was in saxophone player for tops in blue back in his E days....he tried telling us all in our office how cool it was. we just laughed at him. apparently it is a "big deal" to be part of the band. i am glad to hear though they do not get per diem for their travels or family separation pay for the year they're in it.

You betcha.

Mmmmm-kay....

So are their shows considered a "mandatory-fun" event, or do you get the option to not partake?

Anyone care to explain what this is all about?

Just by looking at the men you can tell that they can't dance. And is the chick in the bottom right corner actually a bloke?

And while we're at it, anyone fancy starting up a caption competition?

070501-F-0578M-251.jpg

All that comes to mind is an Alabama song I know:

"If your gunna play in the Air Force, you gotta have an airman in the band"

Wxman :beer:

They played here last month and it wasn't mandatory. I was expecting all kinds of emails "highly encouraging" me to go, but that never happened.

2 years ago when I was out here TIB and the Singing Sergeants played within 2 weeks of each other. No one went to the first one, so a scathing email was sent to the whole base threatening not to bring any "talent" (then specifically mentioning USO sponsored events, not Craps in Blue) to Kuwait any more if we didn't turn out for these events. I again didn't go but instead went to watch a movie in the theatre. 2 minutes before it was supposed to start a SSgt walks in and says they won't be showing it due to the Singing Sergeants performance. Essentially the leadership shut down all morale activities on base while they were here. Losers.

Oh BTW I picked these guys up in Kirkuk and took them to Balad 2 months ago. They actually travel in khaki pants and blue polo shirts, underneath their flak vests and kevlar helmets.