Washington DC

JP84U2

I'm taking the wife and kids to DC next week to see the sights. Anyone have any "Not to be missed" spots (besides the normal tourist things), fav restaurants, military specific places or good deals?

THX

Humps :rock:

• Upvote 1

The Marine flag lowering ceremony is a great sight held at the Marine Barracks downtown. Have to get tickets in advance.

Outdoors, hotter than Hades, however.

Either Air & Space Museum - downtown or new one by Dulles

Old Ebbits Grill - very DC-ish; lots of Congressional staffers (bow-chicka-bow-woo), not uncommon to see reps or senators there.

Guest PhillipJFry
Either Air & Space Museum - downtown or new one by Dulles

What's the difference between the two locations?

Guest wilco

To me the Air/Space museum downtown is a waste. The Dulles museum is awsome though.

I actually was TDY there for a while and this is my list: Georgetown to shop/eat, National Portrait Museum, The Archives, restaurants near Chinatown like District Chophouse and Jaleo(not chinese though), walk around the mall in the afternoon, walk in Adams Morgan neighborhood, and Arlington Cemetery.

What's the difference between the two locations?

Downtown one - conveniant metro access, adjacent to all the other Smithsonian stuff. This one has the Wright flyer, Apollo 11, X-1, Douglas World Cruiser (first 'round the world flight 1924), etc. It is more cramped and, frankly, cluttered with too many tourists usually (damn them!).

The one at Dulles is a u-drive (costs $12 for parking, but entrance is 'free.'), much more spacious. Starts with examples of 19 ought ought aircraft, then moves logically through time - lots of warbirds - Enola Gay, some German and Japanese stuff - fairly rare as well, and most common US WWII types, into Korea, Vietnam and beyond.

The -80 707 prototype, a Concorde, SR-71, helos, a huge exhibit on aircraft engine development from the first putt-putts to the R-2800 and beyond pistons and into jets - turbo and beyond.

Space gallery is pretty cool, shuttle glide test model 'Enterprise' (they fired debris at the leading edge of this one during the Columbia accident investigation), some other rockets and displays.

Replica ATC tower is cool to get a good view of Dulles ops if you go to the top.

Much less crowded during the trips I've been. Nothing else out there as its colocated with Dulles, however.

The main difference is that Udvar-Hazy houses the stuff that was too big to put on the mall. If you are only going to make it to one I would reccomend going downtown. It uwas at one point (might still be) the most visited museum in the world, so yeah, it's crowded. But there is a reason for that.

The International Spy Museum is pretty cool if you are in to epionage and the CIA and crap like that. It's one of the few places in DC you do have to pay for though.

Do not miss the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington. If there is only one thing you can do in DC, do this. I believe during the summer they do it every hour, but I know it changes depending on the season. You could spend 1/2 a day at Arlington, but you can also pick up a guide or talk to someone there and be shown the tourist spots, catch the changing of the guard, and be out in 2 hours.

Go to Adams Morgan for grub. There are about 50 different ethnic joints there - I've never gotten tired of that place. Night life is pretty fun too, and a lot less uppity and snobbish than Georgetown. Georgetown is good for shopping to satisfy the wife or if you are gay. If you just want to feign shopping to satisfy someone, go to Union Station, unlike G-town it's right on the Metro. Oh if you do make it to Georgetown go to the Exxon on M street. Walk just behind it and you'll see the stairs that Father Karras throws himself down at the end of The Exorcist!

torpedo factory in old town (it's a cool art gallery). b-more aquarium/science center. all of the other stuff mentioned is good too. i'd def recommend the air and space downtown as well as any of the other smithsonian museums. wilco mentioned adams morgan....DO NOT take your kids there at night...it's the college bar district and sometimes isn't the safest of places. if you and your wife want to go out for a romantic evening, there a thousand small places in g'town. a really good mexican restaurant is L'Oreal Plaza (or something like that). believe it's on the corner or near 18th and M. in dc, don't wander too far off the tourist areas, you can get stuck in the ghetto real quick. g'town is fine all over. don't get in a cab that doesn't have a meter either...those are all over the place. dc rocks, i can't wait to get back!

edit: can't believe nobody mentioned the AF memorial. check it out, i haven't seen it yet but have heard good things.

can't believe nobody mentioned the AF memorial. check it out, i haven't seen it yet but have heard good things.

WARNING - Possible Thread Hijack - WARNING

Sorry, disagree about the USAF Memorial. Looks like giant stainless steel spaghetti. I'm not knocking us having a memorial, but it should commemorate something concrete (no pun intended) like, say, the first jet to jet combat in Korea or a Vietnam Weasel mission or Linebacker mission or something.

The abstract just doesn't cut it for me. It goes along with changing the uniform and AF symbol every too often.

OK, situation is under control, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

DC Zoo is pretty good if your gonna be in Adams-Morgan with kids.

Sorry, disagree about the USAF Memorial. Looks like giant stainless steel spaghetti. I'm not knocking us having a memorial, but it should commemorate something concrete (no pun intended) like, say, the first jet to jet combat in Korea or a Vietnam Weasel mission or Linebacker mission or something.

The abstract just doesn't cut it for me. It goes along with changing the uniform and AF symbol every too often.

OK, situation is under control, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

DC Zoo is pretty good if your gonna be in Adams-Morgan with kids.

I mostly agree with you, but you have to admit that the AF memorial definitely gets you looking skyward.

My personal favorite is the Franklin D. Roosevelt memorial. It's quite a hike from any of the others (across the tidal basin) but definitely worth it. There are also great views of the other memorials across the tidal basin from there.

Here's a link to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles. I was going to recommend the Garber facility, where the NASM used to do its restoration; but I see all that has moved to the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Have fun in DC, but don't fall for the old "lost my wallet but if you give me $20 I will give you my driver's license as collateral" trick. If they lost their wallet, why do they still have their driver's license???

Cheers! M2

Guest wilco

M2 is right about the restorations. I saw a Black Widow being restored there. One of the volunteers told me that there is a B-17 stuffed somewhere in a hangar at Dulles. There are plans already afoot to expand Udvar-Hazy.

Udvar-Hazy is awesome. I think I spent 20 straight minutes ogling the SR-71.

The civilian aircraft section is also really cool, there's an example of one of Burt Rutan's early designs on display as well as Hiller's first helicopter design that he built and ground tested in his parent's driveway as a teenager.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircr...hiller_xh44.htm

Edited by busdriver

Not exactly the feel-good spot, but the Holocaust Museum is exceptional and sobering. If your kids are a little older, I highly recommend it.

I agree 100%. I grew up in the DC area and have been to all the Smithsonian museums a few times, and the Holocaust Museum is the most interesting one. It takes anywhere from 2-5 hours to walk through because you can stop and read whatever you like (self-paced). Also, the most graphic images are behind 4 foot walls so small children can't walk right up and see them. The whole experience is sobering and it's one you won't forget.

Couple that with the changing of the Guard at Arlington and it's a good start.

1) Holocaust Museum

2) Arlington changing of the guard

3) Dulles Annex Air and Space museum

4) Museum of Natural History (GREAT for kids!!)

That's my short list for a weekend in DC for a newbie. Getting through those museums will take a quite a bit of time. Have fun!

I agree 100%. I grew up in the DC area and have been to all the Smithsonian museums a few times, and the Holocaust Museum is the most interesting one. It takes anywhere from 2-5 hours to walk through because you can stop and read whatever you like (self-paced). Also, the most graphic images are behind 4 foot walls so small children can't walk right up and see them. The whole experience is sobering and it's one you won't forget.

Couple that with the changing of the Guard at Arlington and it's a good start.

1) Holocaust Museum

2) Arlington changing of the guard

3) Dulles Annex Air and Space museum

4) Museum of Natural History (GREAT for kids!!)

That's my short list for a weekend in DC for a newbie. Getting through those museums will take a quite a bit of time. Have fun!

When I was 14, I was invited to nationals for climbing in Virginia. While I was there, we drove to DC for a day trip. I thought the Arlington changing the guard was pretty sweet.

Also, walk the wall, and check out the Lincoln Memorial which stands over the reflecting pool.

Was a great experience as a 14 year old.

Well we hit almost everything mentioned above, the Air & Space @ Dulles was great but the "Adventure in Mass Transit" to get there from DC (Metro to Rosslyn, Metro bus to Dulles then VRTA shuttle to museum and do it all again in reverse to get home) was alot of asspain :banghead: and a huge time waster and I wouldn't do it again. The Mrs. and I went out for steaks at the Capital Grill on Penn. Ave to celebrate our aniversery. Pricey but the food and service were great. All in all a great trip.

The Boom formerly known as Humps :rock:

Edited by JP84U2

• 5 years later...

I have to find temporary living in the DC area and I found some areas: Silver Springs, Hillcrest Heights, Columbia Heights, Falls Church, and Roslyn. Is anyone familiar with any of these and does anyone have any recommendations? I am not able to get down there to thoroughly search the neighborhoods, so I am relying on online reviews. Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the Metro pass really $230? That would be more expensive than the T and MTA combined. Is the metro worth it or should I bring a car?

I have to find temporary living in the DC area and I found some areas: Silver Springs, Hillcrest Heights, Columbia Heights, Falls Church, and Roslyn. Is anyone familiar with any of these and does anyone have any recommendations? I am not able to get down there to thoroughly search the neighborhoods, so I am relying on online reviews. Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the Metro pass really $230? That would be more expensive than the T and MTA combined. Is the metro worth it or should I bring a car?

I live near Andrews & was given the advice to stay away from anything in the area with 'Heights' in the name. Can't speak specifically of any you listed though, as I'm in rural MD.

Roslyn is a good spot. Real quick metro ride across the river into the city and decent restaurants, etc on the VA side as well. Crystal City and foggy bottom are good options as well. Silver Spring is nice but would be a miserable commute. Don't bring a car unless you plan to leave the metro area frequently. Parking costs will far exceed the metro pass price.

I live near Andrews & was given the advice to stay away from anything in the area with 'Heights' in the name. Can't speak specifically of any you listed though, as I'm in rural MD.

I have heard that too, but I do not know how applicable it is. I looked up crime on City-Data and compared it to some bad neighborhoods I am familiar with. Columbia Heights seems OK, but Hillcrest Heights is a little shaky. Though I am not too sure it matters since I will only be there for a short while. I am most concerned with the best deal.

Roslyn is a good spot. Real quick metro ride across the river into the city and decent restaurants, etc on the VA side as well. Crystal City and foggy bottom are good options as well. Silver Spring is nice but would be a miserable commute. Don't bring a car unless you plan to leave the metro area frequently. Parking costs will far exceed the metro pass price.

Good to know. Silver Springs appears closer to where I need to go than Crystal City, but I may very well be wrong about that. Foggy Bottom is very close to where I need to be, but I only have so much money to work with. I have heard it is a very expensive area.

I would stay away from Anacostia or that region in general. Are you looking to live in D.C. or the immediate area, otherwise the Metro goes a fair way into northern VA (will soon reach to Tyson's Corner, although that's still a little bit away), and it's not a horrible commute if you take the Metro (drive and you may want to kill yourself if you aren't used to D.C. traffic).

2 on the silver spring commute.

Metro system in DC is not that bad, so stick near a major hub on the Blue or Orange/Yellow line...and your need for a car goes way down. I live on the Hill and unless you work the Hill or car commute against traffic (ex: DC to Quantico or DC to points South/West)...don't recommend. As mentioned, Anacostia, no man's land down there...stay away. I see a lot of the younger DoD crowd in Reston and Crystal City (easy to spot), easy walk or metro to Georgetown and Old Town from there. Rt 95 is a parking lot coming into the area in the morning....and reverse that cattle train in the evening. Rt 50 and 66, same deal.

Note...parking in this town is a PITA. Metro is your best bet, $230 is a great deal for the footprint of travel it gives you. DC is a great town, so I recommend exploring via Metro when you arrive. Parking fees and tickets, well you may think $230 is cheap after that. You might also want to look at getting a Bike Share pass http://www.capitalbi...re.com/stations. That is a recent up and coming ("STS" appropriate?) way to commute these days. Can't swing a dead cat in this town without avoiding someone on those red bikes. Kidding aside, a lot of my co-workers Metro in from VA/MD, and bike the rest of the way into work. It's even a better way to move around the city. My wife has been a resident a lot longer than I have. So if you have specific questions...PM me and I will bounce them off of her.

Cheers

Collin

Edited by ATIS

I did 11 years in the area until receiving my pardon from the governor a few months ago...

AVOID the Maryland side of the river for living. Crime, taxes on everything, general asspain all are way higher there than in Virginia.

If you are going to be there as a single, Rosslyn, would be my recommendation.

Falls Church would be next.

This is based on your list, there are other areas that are good depending on your circumstances/budget, etc.