Washington DC

JP84U2

Silver Springs appears closer to where I need to go than Crystal City, but I may very well be wrong about that. Foggy Bottom is very close to where I need to be, but I only have so much money to work with. I have heard it is a very expensive area.

You're DC geography seems off. Silver Springs (MD) is due north right at the point of the diamond the actual city of DC makes. Foggy Bottom is in the city where the State Department is located (southeast of Georgetown), Crystal City is right next to Bolling AFB/National Airport due south of the city.

Where are you actually working/going to school/needing to be on a daily basis. What's the duration? What's the priority between nice area and cheap?

What brick just said is about right, don't live in MD unless it's bordering the NW of the city and either Falls Church of Rosslyn would be excellent depending on where you're actually trying to do.

I did an internship in DC my senior year of college and stayed at an extended stay type place in foggy bottom on 25th. The room wasn't anything to write home about but the location was priceless. I forget the name of it and a quick google search wasn't much help but it was right across the street from the river inn. If you do luck out and find a place near Georgetown, I highly recommend Mr Smiths'. It's an awesome lunch/ brunch place that turns into a piano bar at night. Many good times!

There are a lot of "extended stay" temp apartments in Crystal City or Pentagon City - again, a short Metro ride into downtown from there. Like everything else here though, be prepared to spend a lot of money! The monthly Metro pass is the way to go, especially now that you get a discount for using a SmartCard instead of cash.

And the Metro is nothing like the T..it amazed me the first time I saw it, not nearly as dumpy/dirty as the T is. Then again, the Metro wasn't built 100 years ago..

There are a lot of "extended stay" temp apartments in Crystal City or Pentagon City - again, a short Metro ride into downtown from there. Like everything else here though, be prepared to spend a lot of money! The monthly Metro pass is the way to go, especially now that you get a discount for using a SmartCard instead of cash.

And the Metro is nothing like the T..it amazed me the first time I saw it, not nearly as dumpy/dirty as the T is. Then again, the Metro wasn't built 100 years ago..

Got to love $10 beer night. You have to find good happy hours.

I live on Scott Circle, which is near DuPont area. Everything is centrally located. I can walk to bars, restaurants, and grocery stores. I'd stay away from anything with "Heights" in the title and I wouldn't live in Silver Springs. Personally, I think Silver Springs is rundown. Columbia Heights is trying to get better. They built a huge shopping center with a WSC, Best Buy, Target, and some other stores restaurants. But, it is still gross. I hate going there.

As for the $230 Metro pass, I believe that is new. I think it is a monthly unlimited pass. When I use to use my commuter benefits for the Metro, it was something like $230. So, I think the Metro offers the monthly unlimited pass to match some commuter benefits. A lot of people have cars in the city, but like everyone has said before me, parking is a hassle and expensive. Luckily, I have a work garage I can use as a personal garage as well, or I would not have kept my car.

What area are you interning/working/whatever over the summer? Also, if you have a price range, I can direct you to other areas that may help out.

Columbia Heights is trying to get better. They built a huge shopping center with a WSC, Best Buy, Target, and some other stores restaurants. But, it is still gross. I hate going there.

Shack on Columbia Heights. I did ROTC at Howard and it always seemed kinda ghetto once you were slightly off campus, although it has gotten much better in the last few years.

You're DC geography seems off. Silver Springs (MD) is due north right at the point of the diamond the actual city of DC makes. Foggy Bottom is in the city where the State Department is located (southeast of Georgetown), Crystal City is right next to Bolling AFB/National Airport due south of the city.

I was waiting for someone to correct her. Based on her demonstrated ability to take feedback I predict this thread hitting the skids any minute now.

Thanks to all that responded.

Where are you actually working/going to school/needing to be on a daily basis. What's the duration? What's the priority between nice area and cheap?

What brick just said is about right, don't live in MD unless it's bordering the NW of the city and either Falls Church of Rosslyn would be excellent depending on where you're actually trying to do.

It has been awhile since I have been to DC, so I was not sure. I thought Silver Springs was right outside and Crystal City was fairly far South. I will need to be around Georgetown for a semester. The most I want to fork over is $1,600/month, so the cheaper the better. It does not have to be nice since it is only temporary. Though I do not want it to be in a shithole just in case I need to take a one-year lease and sublease the apartment.

Is DC more expensive or cheaper than Boston or NYC, or about the same?

I was waiting for someone to correct her. Based on her demonstrated ability to take feedback I predict this thread hitting the skids any minute now.

Yeah, right. I do not mind it if it comes from good intentions.

It has been awhile since I have been to DC, so I was not sure. I thought Silver Springs was right outside and Crystal City was fairly far South. I will need to be around Georgetown for a semester. The most I want to fork over is $1,600/month, so the cheaper the better. It does not have to be nice since it is only temporary. Though I do not want it to be in a shithole just in case I need to take a one-year lease and sublease the apartment.

How long do you need to be there? That's the next piece of the puzzle.

$1600 a month (i.e. $53 a day) is pretty tough to meet at an extended stay place and most apartments want 1 year contracts...have you considered temporary housing on one of the college campuses? I've done that in the summer when I was taking a summer course and it was cheaper than the alternative.

If I were you doing something at G-town, I'd stay across the river in the Rosslyn-ish area if you do get some kind of apartment. Although be aware there is no metro stop in or near Georgetown so a car is probably a bigger consideration if you have somewhere to park it on both ends (sts), it's a (relatively) fast hop across the Key Bridge. There is also student-type apartments right off campus in georgetown.

BL - start as close to your destination as possible since it's in a nice area and work your way out from there based on price and desired qualities of the place.

5 years at Andrews in the 89th. I always did a Sunday morning bike ride from Reagan National to Mount Vernon then back again, beutiful ride going along the Potomac and going through old town Alexandria. Union Station is a good place to find something to eat, Sunday brunch in Alexandria at Murphys Pub on King Street, great steak and eggs. The Viet Nam memorial at night. Alot of nice bars and reastuarants on SE Penn street just off the Capitol. Don't go more SE than that unless you know your way around.

Did you ask your school's housing office? Since there are (I'm assuming) a good number of studs doing the semester away thing, maybe they have a connection with Georgetown or GWU?

I'd put DC between Boston and NYC as far as costs..

How is it that people who live in the District can't even spell Silver Spring (there's no "s" on the end!)? Grew up there - pet peeve of mine. It's made a huge resurgence in the last decade with a major renovation in the downtown area. The area that keeps you within walking distance to the Metro isn't great though. Probably the most affordable MD suburb that isn't ghetto though (avoid Prince George's county at all cost - that place is a lost cause). Bethesda, Chevy Chase, & Kensington will also give you easy access to the city, but it ain't cheap.

But if you are only going to be in the city for a semester I wouldn't bother with the suburbs anyway. $1600/mo. won't get you far in the trendy neighborhoods like Dupont or Georgetown, but as you get towards the city limits there are plenty cheaper places to live that give you Metro access and aren't in the ghetto. Have you looked into the American University area? A significant college crown there and its right next to Rock Creek Park. Chinatown (almost adjacent to the National Mall area) has put up a lot of new apartments recently too - I know a few guys from high school still doing the urban-hipster thing who love it down there - no idea what rent is though).

Edited by HercDude

If I were you doing something at G-town, I'd stay across the river in the Rosslyn-ish area if you do get some kind of apartment. Although be aware there is no metro stop in or near Georgetown so a car is probably a bigger consideration if you have somewhere to park it on both ends (sts), it's a (relatively) fast hop across the Key Bridge. There is also student-type apartments right off campus in georgetown.

BL - start as close to your destination as possible since it's in a nice area and work your way out from there based on price and desired qualities of the place.

The closest Metro stop is Foggy Bottom, which is accessible by the Blue and Orange line. You can walk to Georgetown from Foggy Bottom. The walk takes about 20 minutes to get to Wisconsin & M st. But, there are two DC Circulators that go right through Georgetown. They are the "Union Station-Georgetown" route and the "Dupont-Georgetown-Rosslyn" route. It cost a $1 to ride. The bus isn't as bad as taking other Metro buses bringing the outside trash into the city, but it is still public transportation. Parking in Georgetown ranges from $7 to $13 a day if you are in by 8ish and out before 6pm. Otherwise, you can easily spend $30 a day for parking in Georgetown.

When I was looking for apartments/studios last year, the best way to find a place was craigslist and walking into to random apartment buildings. You are going to be looking at a peak time. There will be a million "Massholes" coming to the city at the beginning of the Fall looking exactly for what you are. You have to be fast and ready to put a deposit down within an hour or so after seeing the apartment. Be prepared to pay first and last months rent. You can look for a sublease on craigslist. Or start in an area you want to live and start walking into the apartment buildings. Ask if they have any availability. You have to do this at the very end of the month or the very beginning of the month because that is when residents turn in their 30 day move out notices. You can find a nice studio or an alright 1br for $1,600...just not in Gtown.

You're DC geography seems off....Crystal City is right next to Bolling AFB/National Airport due south of the city.

Well sort of...you might want to tell her there is a freaking river between Crystal City and Bolling and no easy way to travel between the two.

Renting a room or basement is an affordable option.

When I first moved to DC, I was a Class B bachelor while waiting for the school to get out and my family to join me.

I rented a full-up, furnished basement, with bathroom and small kitchen for $700/month. That was a while ago, but $1,600 ought to get something nice-ish. Check the Washington Post classified or Craig's List.

Rosslyn/Crystal City/Anything in MD (except maybe Bethesda) suck and anybody that says differently doesn't live here. $1600 can get you a nice English basement in DC or a decent 1 bedroom or studio in Clarendon/Courthouse/Old Town/U St/Columbia Heights/Dupont/pretty much anywhere...it just depends on what you want. You want to live on a metro or metro bus line. Avoid the green line like the plague. A car is sometimes necessary but if you don't need one for your commute, don't bring one and you can get by with a Zipcar if you need wheels for something.

Rosslyn/Crystal City/Anything in MD (except maybe Bethesda) suck and anybody that says differently doesn't live here.

And then...

...it just depends on what you want.

Exactly. All the places you listed are awesome but some other suggestions are nice areas too, it just depends on what you want.

Your advice is good for the young, single college scene (masshole's target audience I'm assuming) so you're right on that, maybe I'm just old now and have better recommendations for the married Captain crowd vs the cadet crowd.

Rosslyn/Crystal City

I have plenty of contacts that live in these areas and they aren't running for the hills. Don't discount anything...throw out your net and see what you drag in.

Capitol Hill isn't bad. In fact the two houses that bookcase me are full of single ladies. Mostly political staffers or work for non-profits, right out of school/going to grad school...I know they are poor. Check out the classified ads and Craigslist.

Cheers

Collin

Conn Ave between the Woodley Park and Cleveland Park metro stops. Plenty of apartments...close to the metro. Walking/cab distance to Adams-Morgan. Home to many college students who are dropping into DC to intern for the summer/semester.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're at the Pentagon, I'd buy a big ass boat (lots of great ones for sale right now) and moor it for next to nothing in the Pentagon Marina. 8-10 years ago a slip at the marina was dirt cheap with unlimited water and electric.

Edit: I did a check on the Columbia Island Marina on the Pentagon Lagoon and while it's not next to nothing ($5k/yr for a 35' boat) it does have unlimited water and electric and I believe the rates for AD military are much lower, but I could be wrong. (It's happened before)

Edited by StainedClass