Gun Talk

VL-16

http://www.best9mm.com/

CZ 75b

Not to turn this thread into a 9mm vs. .40S&W vs. .45ACP thread, but my philosophy is that effective shooting consists of 80% shot placement and 20% caliber.

Probably right, but a larger round increases the chances of causing damage as it passes through an individual. And it is easy to see which round is the largest...

Comparitive_handgun_rounds.jpg

But you don't have to beleive me. Just read the FBI report, Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness. Here's their conclusion...

"The only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the wound by increasing the size of the hole made by the bullet. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

Cheers! M2

Well, the IDPA match was this morning and I did alright! We only went through five stages due to the heat, and we don't have our scores yet (they will be posted later); but based on my son video taping my performances, and walking though the stages afterward and seeing my scores, I can gauge pretty close how I did. It was a helluva lot more interesting that just standing on the line and shooting, and I watching other people's mistakes (such as engaging the targets out of order) is almost more educational than learning from your own mistakes. I had a few small ones, mostly not using cover as much as I could; but I have to say I am more hooked to this than just going to the range. That's great for getting familiar with a new weapon; but for more realistic training, scenarios such as those the IDPA puts you through is more along the kind of training I used to get when I was in. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it...

Cheers! M2

Guest Skids Down

What do you guys suggest for PCSing with a reasonably large amount of ammo that you don't want to burn through? I know the movers say they don't take it. Do you take it in your POV?

Naw, send it to me for safe keeping!

Seriously, how much is "a reasonably large amount?" A couple thousand rounds? Do you re-load, a survivalist, or are you afraid of zombies?

Cheers! M2

Guest Skids Down
Naw, send it to me for safe keeping!

Seriously, how much is "a reasonably large amount?" A couple thousand rounds? Do you re-load, a survivalist, or are you afraid of zombies?

Cheers! M2

Haha, all of the above... Somewhere around 4K, mostly .308 and 9mm. Actually it's a great hedge against inflation. Seen ammo prices lately? :bohica:

Haha, all of the above... Somewhere around 4K, mostly .308 and 9mm. Actually it's a great hedge against inflation. Seen ammo prices lately? :bohica:

Yeah, I have. I went to pick up 100 rds of Blazer Brass for my XD45 and my wallet feels like it has been raped and wants the number for the SARC....

For the range and even IDPA I pick up the Winchester White Box at WalMart for just under $30 for 100 rounds of .45ACP. I have a bud who reloads and I am thinking about learning how to, it is just a matter of getting the equipment and finding the time...

And if you think .45ACP is expensive, go price 7.62x39!

Cheers! M2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zookrider

M2, you shooting at the Bullet Hole?

I shoot IPSC. I highly recommend IPSC. IDPA is way better than nothing, but to me it tends a bit toward mall ninjaism.

Why I say that- for example, as above, IDPA has "hostages" whereas IPSC has "no shoots." Well, yeah- in IDPA, you're simulating some HRT hostage rescue door kicking stuff, whereas with IPSC you're playing a game that requires target discrimination and shot placement. Different mindsets. Both have pros and cons.

Pros of IPSC: It's freestyle- you shoot the targets the way you think is fastest. That forces you to strategize based on your abilities and the stage layout.

Thinking is good, and I think an adaptable mindset based on experience (in training) is more practical than having been taught a book method

and rehearsed it. YMMV.

You don't have to wear a goofy vest. I don't get the vest. Nothing says "I HAVE A CONCEALED GUN" louder than a 5.11 vest.

Higher round count. If I'm driving hours to shoot a match, I don't want to shoot 50 rounds and go home.

It ties into other games better. USPSA (the US version of IPSC) owns steel challenge and sponsors its own 3-gun series.

The crowd it draws is self-selected away from mall-ninjaism. The folks I shoot with (lawyers, pharmacists, dentists, etc) would be mocked

endlessly if they told their friends and families that they spent their weekend shooting at "terrorists."

Cons of IPSC: It's an arms race. At the higher levels, there is always pressure to have the latest and greatest gear. The Production division does away with

this somewhat, but if you want to shoot .40 and up, it's always going to be expensive to keep up.

There's no attempt to reconcile IPSC guns and gear with practicality. Nobody who's serious about the game is going to carry their IPSC rig

concealed or on duty.

Pros of IDPA: It does at least attempt to simulate "real-life."

No space guns allowed. Generally, IDPA is less expensive to shoot because of the lower round count and less modification of guns.

It takes less space and so can be in clubs that can't support all the running around of an IPSC match

Your normal 1911 will do just fine for the most part.

Cons of IDPA: You're locked in to some dude's idea of how the stage should best be shot. That dude may in fact be HRT, but even if he's a real-live super

door kicker, you can't improvise or improve on his solution to the tactical problem based on newer insights, gear, or your shooting abilities.

If he's a mall ninja, then you're programming your shooting brain with crap.

The dude shooting next to you might be a little Cliff Claven for your tastes.

The major/minor thing makes sense to me. It only penalizes you if you miss. A good hit is scored the same between high recoil large, fast bullets and low recoil small, slow ones. It's the less good hits where the scoring compensates a bit for the power of the round. Some great shooters shoot 9mm in IPSC; they just have to take advantage of the lower recoil to be faster and more accurate.

Any game that forces you to put rounds on multiple targets on a clock is awesome. IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, NRA Action Pistol, PPC, Pin shooting, etc are all awesome games and everybody who owns a handgun should go to a match or two just to see what a really good shooter can do.

What do you guys suggest for PCSing with a reasonably large amount of ammo that you don't want to burn through? I know the movers say they don't take it. Do you take it in your POV?

My last two PCS', I did just that via the partial DITY maneuver.

Guest regularjoe
Any recommendations between an AR style rifle vs a SIG 556?

Personally if you have the money to spend I would HIGHLY recommend the Barrett Rec-7.

I have been very happy with mine. :M16:

Zookrider

I used to go to the Bullethole to shoot paper; but I think those days have come and gone. I may still go back, but only to shoot steel from here on out.

I am not tied to IDPA, it was just the first opportunity to shoot stages and I am hooked. I know others prefer IPSC, and once the wife's foot heals (she broke it Thursday morning), I may go try a IPSC match. In addition to Blackhawk, Cedar Ridge (Texas Tactical) has monthly matches. It is a little futher away, but timewise the drive for me is comparible.

By the way, do you still ride? If so, you're gonna have to hook up with us to hit Bandera one of these Sunday mornings...

As for AR vs a SIG 556, I only have one piece of classic advice...

jackiebrown_quote.jpg

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes!

Cheers! M2

I'm in the market for a good shotgun but need some advice. I've been looking at something like a Remington 870 but I'm open for suggestions. Pump action highly desired for its intimidation factor and I don't want something old-school that I need to reload every shot. It'll mainly be a home defender.

:beer:

I'm in the market for a good shotgun but need some advice. I've been looking at something like a Remington 870 but I'm open for suggestions. Pump action highly desired for its intimidation factor and I don't want something old-school that I need to reload every shot. It'll mainly be a home defender.

:beer:

I've got an 870 and it is great. I have put it through hell and it has never failed me. I don't know much about the home/tactical shotguns but if they are as reliable as my 870 you can't go wrong.

My choice is a Mossberg 500 Persuader, a 18.5" pistol-gripped sweetheart which has a 120-lumen SureFire 6P on it and a laser designator...

It looks just like this, but with the stock removed and the toys added...

gun242.jpg

Load it up with some 3" Magnum 00-buckshot and don't believe the bullshit about needing a softer load to stop from penetrating your walls. And never, ever think birdshot is feasible for HD. When the BG is hiding behind a wall or your couch, you're gonna want something big and powerful to blast the shit out of him with!

Cheers! M2

Guest zookrider

M2,

I do ride...but not for the next 8ish or so months since i'm deployed. And I'm stationed at Hurbie. I love Texas, though, and have friends there who I shoot with when i make it back to town. Riding out of SA is terrific. The link looks like a blast- hopefully I'll be able to join y'all someday. If you're in the hill country and in a cowboy gun sorta mood, Cimmaron Firearms has its company store in Fredericksburg.

And the Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 are both terrific shotguns and great bargains. Just stay away from the Mossberg Maverick. The Benelli Supernova is great too, if you want something a little exotic, and they do a big military discount. I think Mossberg deserves cool points for having a dove gun named the SA-20.

Edited by zookrider

Dude, thats been an inside joke with HK for years. The story on HKpro.com is that a long long time ago for their first professional magazine ad the photographer knew nothing about guns and loaded it incorrectly. His pictures made it to print, and ever since then HK has purposely done that as a throwback to their early days. Look at just about any HK picture add, it's nothing new.

Guest regularjoe
Dude, thats been an inside joke with HK for years. The story on HKpro.com is that a long long time ago for their first professional magazine ad the photographer knew nothing about guns and loaded it incorrectly. His pictures made it to print, and ever since then HK has purposely done that as a throwback to their early days. Look at just about any HK picture add, it's nothing new.

I know it's not a new ad, but still funny/embarrassing as hell.

Things to remember in the .45 vs 9mm debate: The 9mm MIGHT expand to .7" or so, but the .45 will never get smaller. The key is really being a competent shooter - if you can't hit anything with your .45 it really doesn't matter. I'm shooting a Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm right now and I've shot it well since I first fired it - much easier to learn to shoot than the Glock series for me. Anyone in the market for a new handgun should have the M&P series on their list of prospective handguns...

Shotguns - get an 870. I've seen a couple Mossbergs break in the trigger group because they were plastic! 870s are easy to find, relatively cheap and there are aftermarket parts for them everywhere. The one thing anyone serious about home defense with a shotgun must have is the Federal 00 buck with the FliteControl wad - that will keep all your pellets on target out to around 25 yards...

As far as AR vs. Sig 556 - I'd take an AR. Similar to the 870 in that they are pretty easy to find, some are cheap (buyer beware), and you can customize them with a huge array of parts... If I could only buy on AR it would be either a Colt or an LMT.

Just my $.02 though...

BF

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into buying my first handgun right now as well. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Sig P229 or the XD. Here are my main considerations:

1. Shoot-ability. I have shot the 229 (but not the XD), and the DA on the first pull was quite long and heavy (sts). The trigger on the XD felt lighter and shorter in the store, which would make multiple shots easier to get off rapidly if need be I think. That being said, I got good groupings with the 229. The 229 was pretty heavy though.

2. Reliability. I've seen the tests for the Sig and am impressed, but I hear the XD is just as good. Basically to use this gun for home defense it must go bang every time. I want it to last a long time, will rust be a problem with either? I also feel like the Sig is a simpler gun, I understand it all how it works, ect. I am not as clear on the XD with SA only and the grip safety, and if/how to maintain them.

3. I was pretty set on the .40 but now am leaning toward the 9 mil, but I go back and forth. Even though it has greater stopping power will I be able to handle it as well, and over multiple shots? Also 9 mil is cheaper... (yes I do want to fire at the range often enough to stay proficient)

Any other considerations or comments would be greatly appreciated, or if I am way off base let me know. Thanks for the advice!