Gun Talk

VL-16

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LittleMan

Getting back to topic, I have a question. I'm a newbie and have just been shooting with friends' guns before. I'm living in Utah right now (very gun friendly) and will be moving to Hawaii next summer. I want to get a gun and CCW permit for protection of myself and my family. I've done surface research and have found that I can get a multi-state CCW permit here in Utah, but Hawaii doesn't recognize it. So here are my questions:

- Does Hawaii just not allow CCW's?

- Is there a separate permit process for Hawaii that would be made easier by getting a permit here before I go?

- How would I even take it to Hawaii (I assume that you can't store in on-board luggage even with a permit) except having it sent with the moving "boat"?

- Any advice as to the best course of action?

If you could answer any of these, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Getting back to topic, I have a question. I'm a newbie and have just been shooting with friends' guns before. I'm living in Utah right now (very gun friendly) and will be moving to Hawaii next summer. I want to get a gun and CCW permit for protection of myself and my family. I've done surface research and have found that I can get a multi-state CCW permit here in Utah, but Hawaii doesn't recognize it. So here are my questions:

- Does Hawaii just not allow CCW's?

- Is there a separate permit process for Hawaii that would be made easier by getting a permit here before I go?

- How would I even take it to Hawaii (I assume that you can't store in on-board luggage even with a permit) except having it sent with the moving "boat"?

- Any advice as to the best course of action?

If you could answer any of these, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I had a friend who did an ALO tour at Wheeler.

Hawaii is rife with crime. Living on base would probably be the best bet, but if you don't have options, research would be essential. From what I've heard, that place is as gun-friendly as Illinois.

Guest LittleMan
I had a friend who did an ALO tour at Wheeler.

Hawaii is rife with crime. Living on base would probably be the best bet, but if you don't have options, research would be essential. From what I've heard, that place is as gun-friendly as Illinois.

Again, pardon my gun virginity, but does that mean that Hawaii is gun-friendly or not? (I've never lived in Illinois.)

You can check guns on any airline. You just need to declare it, have it in a locked case and not have any ammo in the same bag. Secondly, HI does not have CCW for all intensive purposes, so you're SOL.

You can check guns on any airline. You just need to declare it, have it in a locked case and not have any ammo in the same bag. Secondly, HI does not have CCW for all intensive purposes, so you're SOL.

All true on the airline info, I fly with my guns all the time and all you need is what brabus said, but check with the airlines beforehand as many have different policies on it. Usually their web site will have the info. Otherwise, you can ship them via your HHG, but again check with TMP prior on how to do that.

But even though Hawaii has a restricted may carry law (Not many permits are issued, as the standard of "exceptional" case is tough to prove. In the last 15 years, no law abiding citizen applying for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Honolulu has been granted one -- not one domestic violence victim, not one person whose life was in danger, not one person working where they may be robbed at gunpoint. And the police chief has no plans to change that under Hawaii’s current law), it doesn't mean you can't keep a gun in your house for self-defense, it only means you can't carry it around.

Cheers! M2

Guest LittleMan
All true on the airline info, I fly with my guns all the time and all you need is what brabus said, but check with the airlines beforehand as many have different policies on it. Usually their web site will have the info. Otherwise, you can ship them via your HHG, but again check with TMP prior on how to do that.

But even though Hawaii has a restricted may carry law (Not many permits are issued, as the standard of "exceptional" case is tough to prove. In the last 15 years, no law abiding citizen applying for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Honolulu has been granted one -- not one domestic violence victim, not one person whose life was in danger, not one person working where they may be robbed at gunpoint. And the police chief has no plans to change that under Hawaii’s current law), it doesn't mean you can't keep a gun in your house for self-defense, it only means you can't carry it around.

Cheers! M2

Great, thanks for the advice. That's pretty lame about Hawaii's carry laws. So what does that mean? The bad guys will carry, but the good guys can't. Damn liberals... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So I would assume that it's probably a lot easier to buy one here and take it with me than to get it there. I'm sure there I would probably have to do more errands and background checks, whereas here I can file the paperwork at Cabela's.

Damn, just when I was saving some money for my kid's college fund, Springfield comes out with this.

I hope he qualifies for grants and student loans!

Cheers! M2

Damn, just when I was saving some money for my kid's college fund, Springfield comes out with this.

I hope he qualifies for grants and student loans!

Cheers! M2

Dang! And I thought I'd be happy with the XD the way it was...*checks financial status*...ah nuts...

• 5 weeks later...

I'm looking to buy a .22 LR pistol. I'm looking at both the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mk XX. There's a gunshow in San Antonio this weekend and I've got the itch to buy (Thanks M2!). I'm also considering a gun safe, but that's for another thread. I'm looking in the $200-300 range for a .22.

I currently have a Sig 229 in .40, but I'd like a .22 to save some money on ammo at the range. I'd also like to buy a conversion barrel for .357SIG, but I don't think that will solve my ammo cost problems.

The wife has authorized a purchase of a .22 and gun safe, but I'm also considering getting my hands on a S.A. XD 45 (don't tell her). Suggestions?

I'm looking to buy a .22 LR pistol. I'm looking at both the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mk XX. There's a gunshow in San Antonio this weekend and I've got the itch to buy (Thanks M2!). I'm also considering a gun safe, but that's for another thread. I'm looking in the $200-300 range for a .22.

I currently have a Sig 229 in .40, but I'd like a .22 to save some money on ammo at the range. I'd also like to buy a conversion barrel for .357SIG, but I don't think that will solve my ammo cost problems.

The wife has authorized a purchase of a .22 and gun safe, but I'm also considering getting my hands on a S.A. XD 45 (don't tell her). Suggestions?

I have a Ruger bull barrel that's 20 years old. It shoots very well, and with the weight up front, it's a tackdriver.

Get the XD. I saw them at the SAXET show this morning at the Freeman Coliseum for $460. Damn good price, and a better choice than a .22 pistol if you ask me.

If you want to try shooting one, let me know. I normally shoot at the Bullethole, just outside of 1604 on 90 west. If you are up at Randolph it is a bit of a drive, but the offer is there...

Cheers! M2

I've got a Walther P-22 and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Never really been a big fan of the .22, but this gun is just fun and affordable. It's even got a tactical rail for a laser/light/whatever else you want. An all around good gun for plinking. You can't go wrong with the XD-45 though!

I just bought a Ruger MKII 50th anniversary. Got it out the door for about $280. The ammo is about $12 for 550 rounds and it is a blast to shoot! I've probably put 1500 rounds through it in the month I've had it. Do yourself a favor and get the Ruger, you won't regret it!

Guest loydma3
I usually carry if I am not going somewhere where it is restricted. I hope I never have to draw my weapon, but if the need arises I prefer to have the option.

I would hate to be the crack head that runs up on M2 asking for change..... M2 :M16: -----> Crackhead :bash:

Get the XD. I saw them at the SAXET show this morning at the Freeman Coliseum for $460. Damn good price, and a better choice than a .22 pistol if you ask me.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I went to the gun show yesterday and looked over several Ruger .22s. I was about to buy one when I made the mistake of checking out the SA XD45. As soon as I picked it up I was hooked. It just felt right. Everything on the gun was where my fingers just naturally went. I had been considering getting one for quite some time, and with the price they were asking I couldn't resist. I got an XD45 Service model with the new thumb safety. I took it straight to the range and I love the way it shoots.

The wife wasn't thrilled with the price (since I told her I was only going to get a .22), but once she realized this meant she wouldn't have to share the Sig at the range anymore she was happy.

Attaboy! Trust me, you made the right choice. Nothing against the .22; but why practice with a round that isn't going to be what you want if you ever need it for self defense? The .45 is as American as John Wayne, and was the caliber that won the Second World War...

SavingPrivateRyan.jpg

And the good thing is that you can now buy a 1911 and justify it as you will already have .45 ACP ammo!

Cheers! M2

Cheers! M2

I have been lusting after an XD for a while; any idea if they are going to make the M in a 9mm anytime soon? I spent some quality time with Google, but I am only finding info about the .40.

So far the XDM has only been made in a .40; I've handled one and honestly there isn't enough there to make me give up my XD-45 Service for one, even if it came out in a .45 ACP.

Go out and get yourself an XD-9 if you want one, it is a great gun!

Cheers! M2

And the good thing is that you can now buy a 1911 and justify it as you will already have .45 ACP ammo!

The sad thing is I still need a gun that will help me save money on ammo. When's the next gun show in San Antonio again?

Guest Brewdog

I understand you need to practice with your carry gun but sometimes it's just fun to shoot. Ripping off 1000 rounds in an afternoon is fun once in awhile and with the .22 you can get it done with decent ammo for 30 bucks or less. I want a P22 as well but due to the waiting period I always end up waiting since I work overseas. Comming home for two weeks and having to wait a week to get a new handgun pretty much blows.

The sad thing is I still need a gun that will help me save money on ammo. When's the next gun show in San Antonio again?

12-13 July at the Alzafar Shrine Temple (901 N Loop 1604 West) Sat 9am - 6pm and Sun 9am - 5pm

Let me know if you are going, I will probably go early on Saturday morning...

You might also want to check Gun Deals.com for some good buys on ammo...

Cheers! M2

And once again, God Bless Texas!

Cheers! M2

Man who killed burglary suspects cleared - CNN.com ()

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A Texas man who shot and killed two men he suspected of burglarizing his neighbor's home was cleared in the shootings Monday by a grand jury.

Joe Horn, 61, shot the two men in November after he saw them crawling out the windows of a neighbor's house in the Houston suburb of Pasadena.

Horn called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a shotgun and was going to kill the men. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.

"The message we're trying to send today is the criminal justice system works," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson said.