Gun Talk

VL-16

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smokinrobo

I was on the Glock web site and came across this statement about the Glock 19/ 9mm being carried by USAF pilots

GLOCK 19 9x19

"GLOCK 19

The all-round talent

The GLOCK 19 is ideal for versatile use

through reduced dimensions compared with

the standard pistol size. With the proven caliber

of 9x19, it has found worldwide distribution in

security services. In addition to being used as a

conventional service weapon, it is suitable for concealed carry or as a backup weapon. For instance, many of the elite pilots

of the USAF trust the GLOCK 19 for their efficient defense in emergency situations. "

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

I was wondering is that statement is true? Reason I ask that question is being in USAF Intell the only handgun that have

seen our pilots carry in their survial kits are Berettas/M9 the same pistol that all OPS personnel carry when overseas in a

combat zone.

Edited by smokinrobo

Well as a heavy pilot I'm not sure I'm one of the "elite," but I've only seen and carried an M9.

I've seen some Army guys with completely unauthorized/illegal handguns with calibers starting with "4," more power to them (no glocks though), and we all know T Mike packs a .357.

Who knows with AFSOC though.

M2 seems to be a gun fanatic, thoughts?

Y'know, I remember seeing the 1911 in Airman and wondered what that was all about...I would much prefer to have been able to carry my .45 over that 9mm. But given the choice, I would've wanted to carry my XD45 above all, as it is not only as reliable as any handgun I have carried, but the 13+1 capacity is much preferred!

Cheers! M2

Y'know, I remember seeing the 1911 in Airman and wondered what that was all about...I would much prefer to have been able to carry my .45 over that 9mm. But given the choice, I would've wanted to carry my XD45 above all, as it is not only as reliable as any handgun I have carried, but the 13+1 capacity is much preferred!

Cheers! M2

You know, the last thing I need right now is a new handgun. Well, seeing as I now live in AK a 44 mag wouldn't be a bad idea. But somehow you've gotten me really wanting an XD. Great, more hot water with the wife.

I also have no idea who in AF is packing a 1911. Or a Glock. I'm too lazy to write the website that advertised the claim, anyone else?

I know I have zero experience, and my memory is probably worthless, but I have a slight memory of the instructors at the qual. course at Field Training mentioning that they were thinking that the M9 was going to be replaced in the near future.

I remember something about how the M9 had replaced some weapon, and now they were looking at going back to that weapon.

Again, that was the least of the things I cared about at that point in time, so I can't remember exactly what they said.

Edit: upon searching google, this was the first article that came up:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003439.html

Edited by AEWingsMN

Guest Darbytee
I know I have zero experience, and my memory is probably worthless, but I have a slight memory of the instructors at the qual. course at Field Training mentioning that they were thinking that the M9 was going to be replaced in the near future.

I remember something about how the M9 had replaced some weapon, and now they were looking at going back to that weapon.

Again, that was the least of the things I cared about at that point in time, so I can't remember exactly what they said.

Edit: upon searching google, this was the first article that came up:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003439.html

You're probably referring to the M1911 (.45 ACP), which the military used up until the late 70's, early 80's. It was replaced by the M9 that we are stuck with today. There has been talk about switching back to the 1911, but I haven't heard anything too recently on it.

I've also got to give a "two" to M2's statement on the Springfield. I've got the XD45 full-frame and the XD9 subcompact and I wouldnt' trade either one of them.

But somehow you've gotten me really wanting an XD

Nope, too lazy myself as well.

And you won't go wrong with the XD. It is as good as a Glock, only better!

Cheers! M2

I'll go ahead and ^2 M2

I've go an XD9 in the 4" barrel and my dad just bought a subcompact XD40, both shoot great and point very naturally

I've probably put > 1000 rounds through mine without any failure to fire/eject

I'll go ahead and ^2 M2

I've go an XD9 in the 4" barrel and my dad just bought a subcompact XD40, both shoot great and point very naturally

I've probably put > 1000 rounds through mine without any failure to fire/eject

2 on accuracy. My family and I were recently shooting and my parents' .38 and .357 couldn't compare. Everyone was immediately more accurate. I hear the new models have a safety on them. Hmmm...a good reason to buy another gun... :M16:

2 on accuracy. My family and I were recently shooting and my parents' .38 and .357 couldn't compare. Everyone was immediately more accurate. I hear the new models have a safety on them. Hmmm...a good reason to buy another gun... :M16:

Yep, there is an option for an ambi thumb safety on the 2008 XD45ACP (Service models only at this time, if I am not mistaken) that just hit the streets last month...

xdsaftey-1.jpg

xdsafety.jpg

To be honest I don't think it is not really necessary as there are already two safeties designed into the weapon (grip and trigger). Just one more step to accomplish in a situation where you might not have the time to accomplish one more step! But to Springfield's credit, they did an excellent job incorporating it into the weapon!

Some believe it was only done so SA could bid on future military and/or law enforcement contracts that require a thumb safety (the XD without the thumb safety is classified as a single-action pistol by the BATFE). Others think it was a lawyer thing. Either way, if you need an additional safety and had any concerns about the two that were on the XD, you now have another option.

Personally, the best safety lies between the ears of the person handling the weapon; and I have no fear of carrying the XD the way it is...

Cheers! M2

Glock 19s were used by a number of USN aircrew during Desert Storm, IIRC.

Don't care for the M9, hell I still have one of my qual cards from the S&W 15 .38.

My current issue service weapon as an LEO is the H&K P2000, an overall OK weapon, though why my agency didn't just buy the USP is something I wonder.

Guest smokinrobo

MD thanks for that information. I am wondering did any Marine Flyers every carry the Glock 19?

MD thanks for that information. I am wondering did any Marine Flyers every carry the Glock 19?

Don't know specifically if Marines were getting them, I just remember a good number being purchased for the USN aviators, who seemed to have a little less stringent rules on what they could carry.

Got a Glock-21 as a 21st birthday present from my dad. I love that gun although its too bulky to carry so I'm looking for a CCW now.

This is my next CCW weapon....I have a Glock 23 that I love, but I fired one of these the other day and holy crap it was awesome. Plus, I dig the old school revolver look.

Perfect for CCW becasue it has a small frame and lots 'o power.

Plus the option of buckshot out of a pistol for bad guys or regular shot for nastly little snakes etc when I am camping...I just really like it.