Gun Talk

VL-16

Very nice, I would love one of those as it makes for a great concealed carry weapon!

On a different note, I may have a chance at a Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever-action rifle that I don't really need but have always wanted. It has a low number of rounds that have been through it (10-15) and looks to be pristine, the only issue at the moment is the seller may have another buyer. It is cheap ($150) and if I get the chance I will probably grab it, I was just wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with this particular rifle...

Cheers! M2

Very nice, I would love one of those as it makes for a great concealed carry weapon!

On a different note, I may have a chance at a Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever-action rifle that I don't really need but have always wanted. It has a low number of rounds that have been through it (10-15) and looks to be pristine, the only issue at the moment is the seller may have another buyer. It is cheap ($150) and if I get the chance I will probably grab it, I was just wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with this particular rifle...

Cheers! M2

My Step-Father has one and I love shooting it... it is accurate to boot... I would def. take it!

Guest Brewdog

The model 94 is nice to carry out in the woods as it is short & light. If you want to kill deer out to 100yds it will do the job. I haven't shot the new plastic tipped ammo but the ballistics are improved according to a couple articles I read. Just about any long gun that shoots ought to be worth 150 bucks.

Guest regularjoe

I am having a hell of a time finding any reasonably priced 8mm Mauser "Surplus" ammo.

Does anyone have any good links for decent ammo for everyday shooting.

My next gun...

Wow...I want that, NOW.

I am having a hell of a time finding any reasonably priced 8mm Mauser "Surplus" ammo.

Ammo prices have gone way up over the past few years, so I'd say really your best bet is a decent sized gun show. The best I can find anywhere online is $4.95 for 15 rds. I bought 900 rds of the Yugo surplus 8mm about 4 yrs ago for like $60...now it costs a bit over $300 for the same, unbelievable.

Guest regularjoe
Ammo prices have gone way up over the past few years, so I'd say really your best bet is a decent sized gun show. The best I can find anywhere online is $4.95 for 15 rds. I bought 900 rds of the Yugo surplus 8mm about 4 yrs ago for like $60...now it costs a bit over $300 for the same, unbelievable.

Ok, that is about the same as I am seeing, good to know I am not the only one that has issues with those prices for "Surplus" rounds.

What's a good 9mm to get started out on? I read the earlier posts about the .40, but I think this is just too much for what I need. I don't really think I need all that power. For right now I just want to use it for target practice until I'm old enough for a CCW.

I also don't want a POS, but I need something that's affordable.

What is your definition of affordable? Give us a price range and what you are looking for and we can go from there.

Less than 350-400; yah, I know it's gonna' be tough to find a decent one for that, but I was going to use some of my graduation money on it.

Maybe I should just hold off until I can afford something nicer. It's kind of like buying a headset. You want something that is going to last for you for a very long time. It'd just be nice to pull out a pistol every once in awhile instead of shooting the 'ole shotguns every time.

Edited by Joshrk22

Less than 350-400; yah, I know it's gonna' be tough to find a decent one for that, but I was going to use some of my graduation money on it.

Maybe I should just hold off until I can afford something nicer. It's kind of like buying a headset. You want something that is going to last for you for a very long time. It'd just be nice to pull out a pistol every once in awhile instead of shooting the 'ole shotguns every time.

I've read a bunch of good reviews on the Bersa Thunder .380. I was looking for a good concealed carry handgun and everything I've heard/read was positive. They can be found new for under $250.

I ended up going with a Taurus PT-145 in .45 ACP. I know I'll probably take some flak for this, but I've had a Taurus PT92 (9mm copy of the Beretta the USAF uses) for 13 years and my wife owns a Taurus .357 revolver (Model 617SS). After literally thousands of rounds, I've had nothing but good luck with Taurus products. I haven't shot my .45 yet, but I expect similar results.

Check Taurus' web site for their complete catalog. Most anything by Taurus, or the Bersa that I mentioned earlier, will get you into a decent handgun for less than $350.

Edited by Bergman

Check out a gun show if you can. You can find great deals on both new and used. Of course you will need someone who is 21 to buy the handgun, so don't make it blatantly obvious that they're buying it for you. It's also a good idea to take someone who knows at least something about guns...b/c you can get screwed if you don't know what to look for on a used gun/what it actually is worth. Any product from the bigger names like S&W, Taurus, Glock, etc. will be a good way to start out...you can't really go wrong. 9mm is a great choice for a first handgun and for range shooting...much cheaper than .40, .45, etc.

For shooters on a budget, go with a used Glock in 9mm. They're not sexy like a 1911, but they always work and they'll last for a very long time. The benefit of this is you can buy one used for a reasonable price and be confidant it will perform as advertised.

For shooters on a budget, go with a used Glock in 9mm. They're not sexy like a 1911, but they always work and they'll last for a very long time. The benefit of this is you can buy one used for a reasonable price and be confidant it will perform as advertised.

Also consider used SIGs - you can pick up a used P226 for 250-350 depending on where you shop and mine still shoots great.

For inexpensive 9mms, this is the way to go:

This is a Star BM, which is a Spanish-made all steel single stack 9mm. They go for about $150-$200 used, and are widely available at shows but tough to find through retail since they're not currently made. I have two of them, and use them as knock-around backpacking protection and plinking. They are 1911 style, but are smaller than a 1911 and don't share any parts. Parts are a little more difficult to come by, but are easily found on the internet or gun shows.

oldstar.jpg

Here's a comparison of the Star BM with a Colt Combat Commander to see relative size and style differences:

newstar_2.jpg

Awesome! I'll see if I can make it up to a gun show sometime in the coming months. I was looking at Taurus models also, and they looked like nice guns but were a little expensive. Like I said, I'm just looking to punch holes in paper right now, so it's probably best to stick with the 9mm for now. Thanks

If you really are just looking to do some target shooting, your absolute best bet would be a .22LR.

Take a look at the Ruger Mark II. A box of 500 rounds of .22LR

goes for $12 so you could definitely get your fix and stay within your $250-$300 range for gun price.

Guest regularjoe

Also in .22LR take a look at the Beretta NEOS.

Now before everyone jumps me about how crapy Beretta is take a look at this piece.

Very modern design, integrated rail the entire length of the gun, semi-auto, very accurate.

Designed by Italian Beretta designers. You can also buy a carbine kit to turn this from a nice paper puncher to a nice small carbine paper puncher.

Best of all like Bergman said .22 is the last cheap round for plinking.

post-4065-1205122655_thumb.jpg

post-4065-1205122665_thumb.png

Like everyone else I dislike Beretta but I have found this gun to be much better workmanship and very reasonable price.

Guest echofox
Of course you will need someone who is 21 to buy the handgun, so don't make it blatantly obvious that they're buying it for you.

Gotta be careful how you do that one. Could be considered a straw purchase. It's a felony.

You can find used CZ-75s, which are 9mm for under $400 if you look around. If you just want to put holes in paper and are new to firearms, S&W .38 revolvers are a good place to start and within your budget.

Remember, caliber doesn't really matter if you can't hit your target. Buy something you can afford to shoot and practice with frequently. A properly placed .22 round is far more effective than a poorly placed .45 round.

Edited by echofox

Gotta be careful how you do that one. Could be considered a straw purchase. It's a felony.

I realize this, hence why I said don't make it obvious. There's no other way for him to get a handgun w/o someone 21+ buying it for him. It's really not a big deal as long as he doesn't go rob the Kwikie Mart w/ it...then yeah, the purchaser would be hosed as well.

I realize this, hence why I said don't make it obvious. There's no other way for him to get a handgun w/o someone 21+ buying it for him.

Not really a problem. A parent can legally buy a handgun for their child (basically it would be their until he turns 21), and in most states its not illegal for a private sale of a handgun as long as the buyer is 18.