Gun Talk

VL-16

I'm going to buy my first handgun sometime this week and am torn between the USP .40, Sig P229 .40 and S&W MP .40 (slight favorite). All have received great reviews, and after shooting them, I'm swaying towards the S&W. I'd appreciate it if any of you could share your experience(s) with these pistols...or if you have any suggestions for other pistols you think I should look at, fire away! Thanks guys, check six!

If you are committed to the .40, I would suggest trying a Springfield XD-40 or a Glock 22 or 23 (standard or compact, respectively). I prefer the XD due to its M1911-type grip angle. However, I am a .45 fan, so I probably a bit biased towards the Springfields (I have a XD-45ACP). Nothing against the .40, it is a common caliber for law enforcement agencies, I just like the larger caliber of the .45 myself.

Honestly, although I don't have firsthand experience with the three models you listed, as far as I know you won't go wrong with any of them.

Cheers! M2

I've got a Glock 23 also and love it. Very accurate, durable and after several thousand rounds through it...no problems whatsoever. I've also shot my friend's USP .40 and loved it. Same as the glock...very accurate and I don't think he's had a single problem w/ it. B/w the two I went for the glock b/c it was 300 bucks cheaper and yet performed almost identical to the USP, so I didn't feel the $ was worth it. The Sig is also a nice shooting gun, but I don't like it as much as the previous two b/c it feels too "thick" in my hand. Not necessarily shooting it was uncomfortable, but there was no way I would ever carry that thing. It's just too bulky for a conceal carry (which is the real reason I bought a pistol in the first place). The glock is much slimmer and fits very well w/ my inside-the-pants holster. I shot the S&W a few years ago and don't remember anything bad about it, but I don't remember anything great about it. S&W is a great company, just nothing really sticks in my mind about that pistol, good or bad. I haven't shot an XD, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. Everyone who owns one seems to love it.

Personally, if you have the opportunity, I would try to shoot every pistol in your "wish list" and then decide. USPs are super sweet and they're in Counter Strike so they've gotta be cool...then you shoot one for real and you hate it (I seriously doubt that happening, but just an example). Point being, don't buy a pistol based on name recognition solely (if you can help it). Some people massively hate Glocks and think they're POS, ok fine that's they're opinion. We can give you OUR opinions on pistols, but the only real way you can know if you'll like something is if you shoot it. The feel is important...a Glock could be really uncomfortable in your hand while the USP fits perfectly or vice versa...you won't know until you at least hold them. If you don't have the opportunity to shoot each one, then at least go hold each one and see how it feels...that is important. If it's uncomfortable to shoot, you eventually will not shoot it enough/as much as you like. That's just natural. Shooting should be enjoyable, not an ass pain.

• Upvote 1

Another happy USP .40 owner. I love it. I’ve put tons of rounds down range without a hiccup. I've also fired a Beretta and Sig in .40, and both were great hand-canons. I prefer my H&K because it fits my hands better. As mentioned, just go shoot them all if you can and decide from there. Can’t go wrong with any of them, it really comes down to personal preference and comfort.

M

Edited by mmkk111
  • Upvote 1

I have a Sprinfield Armory XD .45 ACP Service (4 inch barrel) and love it. Great gun.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/index.php

I'll second that, I have 800+ rounds through mine without a single FTF/FTE. The 9mm version of the XD passed the Glock Torture Test--20,000 rounds and was frozen, buried in mud and doused in sand--with flying colors, and as I said the grip angle is more like a M1911 therefore more comfortable to me. Hold 13+1 of 45ACP, enough to keep me happy! It is about the slimest double-stack I have ever fired. I have internal guide rod laser sights (LaserMax) on mine and they work great. I trust it more with my life than I ever did the Beretta M9!

Cheers! M2

California is a whole other bag of mixed nuts...

UW-BB is in Seattle, and Washingon state is a helluva lot more "gun friendly" than the Republic to its south. Just remember you have to have the "California-friendly" 10-round mags if you ever decide you want to visit...

With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into the state, keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity magazine. Cal. Penal Code § 12020(a)(2), (b). A “large capacity magazine” is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, any feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds, or any tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. Section 12020©(25)..

Cheers! M2

Guest salokin

I've never really considered buying a handgun (the only gun I've ever fired was at Field Training... :rainbow:), but all this talk of what's what has got me thinking about it. What are the advantages of owning a pistol? Disadvantages? What are the rules on conceal and carry (texas), and how often does the average person actually carry it.

I'm fairly ingnorant on the entire topic and was curious...why own a handgun, why not?

Not trying to de-rail the thread or troll, I'm just interested.

I've never really considered buying a handgun (the only gun I've ever fired was at Field Training... :rainbow:), but all this talk of what's what has got me thinking about it. What are the advantages of owning a pistol? Disadvantages? What are the rules on conceal and carry (texas), and how often does the average person actually carry it.

I'm fairly ingnorant on the entire topic and was curious...why own a handgun, why not?

Not trying to de-rail the thread or troll, I'm just interested.

I'll take a shot at this one.

Nothing says you have to carry a gun. Some of us just like to exercise our Second Amendment rights, and realize that in some situations the authorities may not be able to respond in time to protect ourselves, our families, and our property.

The advantages of owning a handgun are that it gives you an ability to defend yourself and your family in a deadly situation. It is a matter of last resort, but it could also be a matter of life-and-death. Disadvantages are it is a lethal weapon, and misuse could result in an unintentional death, which is why if you do decide to get a handgun and carry it, you fully understand the responsibilities that entails.

Everything you want to know about a concealed handgun license (CHL) in Texas can be found here. In a nutshell, you take a one-day course on gun safety and use, submit an application package, a background check is done and if you pass everything you get your CHL in about two months. You are authorized to carry almost everywhere, but there are restrictions as outlined in the CHL laws handbook found in the link above.

As for how often people carry, you can read the demographics for Texas here. Otherwise, I can only speak from personal experience. I usually carry if I am not going somewhere where it is restricted. I hope I never have to draw my weapon, but if the need arises I prefer to have the option.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me offline.

Cheers! M2

Guest Pilotette

Hello,

I am very impressed with the .40 S&W caliber cartridge. I own three pistols: a Glock 27 (a gift, I use it as a CCW), a Sigpro 2340 (I purchased this one) and a Glock 23C (a gift) all in the .40 calibre. The recoil on these three while significent for me is not more than I can handle. I have shot a few .45s before at the range (you'd be suprised at how often people offer to let me fire their weapons.) but the recoil seemed at the same time worse and different than my .40s. The .40 seems like it has a quicker/sharper recoil but it is not too bad. The .45 seemed to have a lot heavier but slightly softer recoil, I didn't like it and it actually hurt my hands.

For me to suggest a particular pistol you'd have to tell me what you plan on using it for. Will it be a CCW, something you keep at home for defense (in which case I'd probably suggest a shotgun for home defense), a target pistol, a pistol you're going to carry as a LEO?

Edited by Pilotette

Thanks for all the advice guys. After going to the range and testing out the guns in question, I ended up buying a Sig P226R .40cal. The S&W MP .40/XD-40 both shot great, the Sig just felt better IMO...all shot similar groupings. I tried the P229 but it was a tad-bit small for my liking...easier to carry, but the grip didn't fit my hand as well as the full-size P226R. I also filled out the necessary paperwork for a concealed pistol license and I can pick it up in 30 days. M2, regarding what you said about the process in Texas, I was surprised that I didn't have to attend a class. I just paid $60, they took my fingerprints, I filled out a one-sided sheet and that was it.

Edited by UW-BB

The process in Texas is a real :banghead: experience. However, that doesn't stop a bunch of people I would never give a CHL to from getting one. In the weapons qualification, the first ten rounds are fired at practically point-blank range. Seriously, you could almost put the barrel of the gun up to the target, and we still had people who shot all over the place.

The real fun begins in the classroom, especially during the 'use of deadly force' segment. Maybe my years in the military helped me figure this out a bit quicker, but there were some real idiotic questions being asked...

Cheers! M2

Quick question for you guys that do carry concealed...what type of holster setup do you use? My wife and I are both going to go to the concealed carry course here in AR so I'm wondering what you guys have found that works for you.

Depends on where you want to carry and what it is. Being in AR, I'm assuming you want the t-shirt/shorts option. Go to http://unclemikes.com/catfeatures.asp?catk...bcatky1=4548802 for a great array of products. I use the inside-the-pants kydex holster. Works really well for my glock, no leather to get chewed up and is cheap while lasting forever. A good leather holster will run you 70+ bucks, I got this one for like 20 bucks. Inside-the-pants is the only way to go unless you're wearing a jacket...or carry unconcealed. I put mine just behind my left hip (left handed)...it's a quick draw and stays out of my way for daily moving around and what not...it's not even that bad for shorter car rides, but I'll just stick it in the door pocket thing for car rides over 20-30 min or so.

Edited by brabus

I'll second brabus' post, I use the cheap-o Uncle Mike's holsters on both my XD-45 and M1911 (although I rarely carry the latter) tucked in at the 7 o'clock position of my waistline and it works great. Rarely does it print and it is designed to prevent the gun from contacting your skin. I have more complex holsters for other situations, just as a vertical shoulder holster for when I am riding my sportbike; but these IWB holsters are what I use most of the time...

And whatever you do, do NOT buy a PagerPal. Despite the video demo, no one that I have ever met that has bought one liked it. I even met the guy who makes them at a gun show and he did a live demo that looked impressive; but they are not practical and his customer support sucks.

Cheers! M2

• 7 months later...

I am going to bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I am the proud owner of a Springfield xD45 and it is my daily carry weapon. Now I am looking into getting a entry level 1911 of some kind.

Currently, I am looking at the Taurus PT1911 Stainless. I like the features it has ambi-safety, extended beavertail, Heine Straight 8 sights and the list goes on and I can pick on up locally for about $580, MSRP is $800. Is there anyone on the boards who has one and what are your impressions. Also, is there anything on the market that has comparable features and pricing?

Thanks in advance.

Vandal

I am going to bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I am the proud owner of a Springfield xD45 and it is my daily carry weapon. Now I am looking into getting a entry level 1911 of some kind.

Currently, I am looking at the Taurus PT1911 Stainless. I like the features it has ambi-safety, extended beavertail, Heine Straight 8 sights and the list goes on and I can pick on up locally for about $580, MSRP is $800. Is there anyone on the boards who has one and what are your impressions. Also, is there anything on the market that has comparable features and pricing?

Thanks in advance.

Vandal

I own a Taurus 24/7 9mm and it is one of the best handguns that I have shot. I love Taurus and highly recommend this company. I have not personally shot their 1911 but I have heard great things...

The Rock Island Tactical 1911 is in the same ballpark as the Taurus with respect to features, and lists for around $500.

I'm a huge fan of Rock's customer service, and although this pistol is an Armscor product from the Phillipines (Which traditionally hasn't been all that good), the Rock Island line seems to have broken that mold. If you check the 1911 forums, the Rock gets extremely good WOM reviews and as I mentioned, the customer service is the best I've personally seen in the firearms industry -- seriously.

You won't go wrong with either weapon, but don't pay more than $600 for the Taurus.

Nothing on the KPD, but if you want tactical tupperware go with the xD line, Smith and Wesson M&P or Glock; something proven. Lots of stuff out there for all of them and Kimber seems to have tossed something together to try and compete. This comes from not reading any reviews, but their entry into the polymer market is not something I ever thought I would see. I think the KPD is a mythical beast in the gun world. I have yet to see one at my local gun shops or the 2 Cabelas I visit frequently.

First, go here...XD Talk 1911 Forum. (The XD section is also a great source of info for one of the finest semi-auto handguns out there (guess what I own? :thumbsup:)).

Anyhow, if you are happy with the XD and are looking for an great entry-level 1911, have you considered the Springfield M1911 GI?

image004.jpg

Great looking gun (classic military look), excellent performer and reliable as hell. I picked one up and love shooting it. There are a lot of good 1911s out there, but considering Springfield's excellent reputation and quality products, I would highly recommend giving them a look.

Cheers! M2