Gun Talk

VL-16

Gents,

We're looking to do a squadron/deployed group buy and still in the exploratory phase of things.  Considering an AR lower (let guys figure out their own upper), a home defense shotgun or standard handgun.  Anyone done a group buy recently?  If so, we're looking for some recent experiences/contacts (good/bad/ugly) in both guns and customization. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gun Prices through the roof so I can’t really just pick and choose anymore just for fun. Bought iron at the end of Oct for a want not a need,  got lucky as the same Metal is now $500 at the minimum more less than a month later. Good thing most of us have always left a store with at least a box of ammo every time and the Czar administration that started in 2008 forced the rest to gather their needs vs wants keeping gun companies in the black. Once again the threat awakens. So many first time buyers on Gunbroker it’s lunacy but with much warranted fear.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My friend is separating from Active Duty and moving to California this spring. Any advice as it relates to firearms and moving to the People’s Republic?

He currently has two pistols (don’t foresee any issues other than the 10-rd mags) and a basic s&w mp15 (I think it just needs a mag-lock and a 10-rd mag to be good to go). 

He expects to eventually inherit a few additional firearms from out of state family members in the future.. does a Gun Trust make sense? 

None of the firearms are special or unique, just the standard stuff. I know the firearms need to be registered within 60 days of moving them into the state. I think a gun trust gets around that and future acquisitions. 

Are there other considerations or things we’re not thinking about?

9 minutes ago, herkbier said:

My friend is separating from Active Duty and moving to California this spring. Any advice as it relates to firearms and moving to the People’s Republic?

He currently has two pistols (don’t foresee any issues other than the 10-rd mags) and a basic s&w mp15 (I think it just needs a mag-lock and a 10-rd mag to be good to go). 

He expects to eventually inherit a few additional firearms from out of state family members in the future.. does a Gun Trust make sense? 

None of the firearms are special or unique, just the standard stuff. I know the firearms need to be registered within 60 days of moving them into the state. I think a gun trust gets around that and future acquisitions. 

Are there other considerations or things we’re not thinking about?

Bay Area resident here. For the record, all the weapons/magazines/ammo I had when I retired were lost in a tragic boating accident and I was unable save anything before I moved to CA. I am now totally defenseless like all the law-abiding citizens in CA. 

Of course you should comply with all state laws, but I have heard people say that local government officials only know what you tell them. 

20+ That's all I have to say about that - Forrest Gump ideas | forrest  gump, forrest, movie quotes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, old crow said:

Bay Area resident here. For the record, all the weapons/magazines/ammo I had when I retired were lost in a tragic boating accident and I was unable save anything before I moved to CA. I am now totally defenseless like all the law-abiding citizens in CA. 

Of course you should comply with all state laws, but I have heard people say that local government officials only know what you tell them. 

20+ That's all I have to say about that - Forrest Gump ideas | forrest  gump, forrest, movie quotes

I’m sorry to hear about your boating accident! 

10 hours ago, Shaft34 said:

This should get you started...

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Moving_to_California_with_firearms

I found Calguns.net to be very informative when I got stationed at Beale in ‘09. Things have changed quite a bit since I left though, so I don’t have current info to advise on.

Thanks for the link, I’ve got it bookmarked. I’ll do some more exploring on that website. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, herkbier said:

Thanks for the link, I’ve got it bookmarked. I’ll do some more exploring on that website. 

Wait, I thought this was for "a friend?!?"  😲   😲   😲  

Any guys with suppressors on here? I keep waffling on it, mostly wondering is it worth it...

- cost (meh, not that big of a factor, but do I do this or get another rifle?)

- All the NFA bullshit with the ATF (timeline, paperwork, etc.)

- Paranoid about becoming a “registered” gun owner on some NFA list. Though obviously I’ve been background checked by the FBI many times for gun purchases, so maybe this isn’t any different?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brabus said:

Any guys with suppressors on here? I keep waffling on it, mostly wondering is it worth it...

- Paranoid about becoming a “registered” gun owner on some NFA list. Though obviously I’ve been background checked by the FBI many times for gun purchases, so maybe this isn’t any different?

I've been contemplating it for years, and unfortunately the lawyer I was going to used passed away suddenly which has only delayed any decision to get one even more. 

Your three factors are mine as well, a good can is not overly expensive but not cheap either.  Prices have been dropping which is an incentive, but not to the point where I would pull the trigger mainly because...

Point #2.  The ATF turnarounds have only slowed even more thanks to COVID.  It used to be six months for a Form 1 approval and tax stamp, but I hear it's been a lot worse since the Chinese flu hit.  Which brings me to...

Point #3.  Between my 03 FFL (C&R) and renewing my Texas LTC, the government has more info about my firearms than I care for it to have.  I am not paranoid, but with the usual talks of greater firearms restrictions under the Biden administration I am concerned.  The same thing happened with Obama, so I am not too worried about it; but it only takes another mass shooting for things to get even uglier for gun owners.  The Federal government has ignored the Second Amendment enough as it is, and it can only get worse.  I prefer it know as little about my inventory as possible.

But the biggest factor in all this is, is it worth it?  Honestly, unless you are shooting a .22 with subsonic ammo; suppression isn't what most people think (i.e. "silencers").  I am sure you are aware that a suppressor greatly reduces the report of a firearm, but it's still very audible unless using smaller rimfire ammo.

I think the novelty of a suppressor would wear off quickly.  I've shot several and while it was fun, I really don't see having a long drawn-out love affair with it.  And many of those I know who have suppressors don't actually shoot theirs too often.  That is probably why I've put it off so long, I suspect the infatuation wears off quickly...

I also have thought about the “coolness wears off” factor. That said, my two functional reasons for still considering them are:

- Less noise for my neighbors/my kid’s hearing (my hearing is already fucked, so no factor there!) I’ve shot several suppressed weapons and am fully aware of how wrong the movies are, but they still can make a decent difference, depending on obvious factors. The 9mm pistol and the .300 Blackout rifle I shot with subs were very quiet (relatively).

- The suppressor would help in a HD scenario, in terms of less flash/noise, leading to lower risk of overloading senses and reducing shooter performance.  

18 hours ago, M2 said:

Wait, I thought this was for "a friend?!?"  😲   😲   😲  

I’m just doing the research for him.. 

10 hours ago, brabus said:

Found the root cause of your friend’s problem. The good news is the fix is easy!

Can’t argue that, he’s got a really great job opportunity that would be absolutely foolish to give up. 

7 hours ago, brabus said:

I also have thought about the “coolness wears off” factor. That said, my two functional reasons for still considering them are:

- Less noise for my neighbors/my kid’s hearing (my hearing is already ed, so no factor there!) I’ve shot several suppressed weapons and am fully aware of how wrong the movies are, but they still can make a decent difference, depending on obvious factors. The 9mm pistol and the .300 Blackout rifle I shot with subs were very quiet (relatively).

- The suppressor would help in a HD scenario, in terms of less flash/noise, leading to lower risk of overloading senses and reducing shooter performance.  

I really like shooting my SBRs in 5.56 and 300 AAC with suppressors. Still wear earpro, but eliminates the concussion. It is more complicated to get the correct barrel length and gas port size lined out. Subsonic 300 AAC or 9mm in an AR is awesome!

If you’re doing shooting on private property with neighbors, I’d say it would be a good idea. Definitely reduces your noise signature. Even for super sonic rounds. 

Start with a rimfire and a multi use center fire, like an Omega 300 or Hybrid 46. Unless you want a pistol can, which I’d recommend something light and short. A .22 pistol is a blast to shoot suppressed. A 9mm with a 7”+ can is fun, but really changes the handling characteristics and isn’t practical for carrying. 

• Upvote 1

I was looking at the new Dead Air Wolfman - it can be reduced to 5” and 9.8 oz (from 7.5”/14.4oz),which would be helpful on the pistols. It covers the calibers I’m most interested in suppressing (9mm, 223, 300 AAC). Then I’ll have to tell my wife how I had to get a new pistol red dot sight because I don’t have suppressor height sights...it’s not my fault, I didn’t have a choice!

On 1/16/2021 at 4:23 PM, brabus said:

I enjoy mine. I think it was a worth while investment. I used silencer shop and their app/kiosk set up, made the paperwork a super simple for a dummy like me. i also used their pre canned trust (pun intended) I just needed something simple so it worked out well.  I also got lucky, something about my local dealer needing to change their FFL license or something (I don't remember the details) but I was expecting a 9-12 month wait, I was shocked when I got a phone call after 3 months my tax stamp was in and I could pick up my can. I guess they needed all pending transactions off their old license and were able to expedite all their paperwork. 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:23 AM, brabus said:

I didnt buy myself, but I was picking up a P365 at the local shop the other day and a dude was doing his suppressor paperwork. The gun store employee said the last guy that was in a few weeks ago had a 18 day turn around time on all his paperwork. Obviously not the norm, but it was surprising. 

37 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

I didnt buy myself, but I was picking up a P365 at the local shop the other day and a dude was doing his suppressor paperwork. The gun store employee said the last guy that was in a few weeks ago had a 18 day turn around time on all his paperwork. Obviously not the norm, but it was surprising. 

Not doubting what you overheard, but gun store employees are notorious for being full of shit sometimes...

I will ask around.  I was already extremely surprised it was only three months for Viper154, but 18 days in simply inconceivable!

tenor.gif?itemid=3811367

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, M2 said:

but gun store employees are notorious for being full of shit sometimes...

It’s amazing the dumb shit I hear sometimes, even more so when they’re talking with the “I’m a gun expert” type. You would think owners would screen for general firearms/shooting knowledge in the interview. 

1 hour ago, M2 said:

Not doubting what you overheard, but gun store employees are notorious for being full of shit sometimes...

I will ask around.  I was already extremely surprised it was only three months for Viper154, but 18 days in simply inconceivable!

tenor.gif?itemid=3811367

Oh I can imagine. Idk, could be complete shit, might not be. I didn't dig into it so who knows. The gun store employee seemed equally surprised. 

But with that said, this is probably one of the more legit gun stores around my area. The dudes are pretty knowledgeable on the stuff they sell. 

All's I know is not a lot. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, M2 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3811367

I was equally as shocked. It was 4 or 5 years ago, things were a little calmer in the firearms market. I believe the ATF wait time page was 9-10 months at the time. Like I said, the store had some sort of extenuating circumstance with changing their license or something, but their were several us that were picking up our cans at the same time all equally shocked/happy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Oh I can imagine. Idk, could be complete shit, might not be. I didn't dig into it so who knows. The gun store employee seemed equally surprised. 

But with that said, this is probably one of the more legit gun stores around my area. The dudes are pretty knowledgeable on the stuff they sell. 

All's I know is not a lot. 

I really hope it is true, as that might convince me to get one! 

The wait time has been one of the biggest deterrents for me... 

• Upvote 1