Gun Talk

VL-16

2 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

The wife is inquiring about a handgun. I started reading this thread... Again... From the beginning then gave up. Many links are now no longer valid.  So..

Suggestions for a pistol for the spouse? I have rifles, no handguns, and was also thinking of getting something for concealed carry for myself. I'd like to simplify logistics with coming magazines or maybe just caliber If feasible. 

There are probably a million different opinions and options out there. I started the wife on a .38 special, my thought was a revolver was a good choice as she isn’t a gun nut like me and wasn’t going to be practicing clearing malfunctions n such in her spare time. Turned out it was a bit to much kick for her and she didn’t enjoy shooting it. I took her to a range and we tried a few different guns and she really liked the Glock 43, so that what she has. 

There is always a debate on pistol caliber sizes and stopping power. My personal opinion, a bunch of 9mm hollow points is enough to put down 99.69% of threats you/she may encounter in the US. 

I have several pistols from different manufacturers, Glock is about as good/reliable as it gets for composite pistols that don’t break the bank. I own several Glocks, I recommend finding a “Blue Label” dealer as their blue label guns usually come with extra mags and night sites, which I much prefer over their standard sites. My usual carry gun in a Glock 19

I have some higher end pistols from Sig and some others, they are great guns, but most are full size/1911s which aren’t always the best conceal options. 

I would ask her how she plans to carry, and go from there on what to get. Highly recommend letting her try some different guns out to see what she likes and feels comfortable with. If she don’t like shooting it, she probably isn’t going to practice or carry with it. 

I am of the other camp on pistol calibers....bigger holes are bigger. 

a lot of the “kick” has to do with the weight of the pistol. A super lightweight “lady” gun (lady smith revolver in 357 for example) has a sharp angry kick.  An all metal 1911 does not .... and as an added bonus can be used as a blunt implement if you’re out of ammo

• Upvote 1

"Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet!"

But guns are personal, and you want something she can shoot accurately (shot placement is key!), carry comfortably (hopefully not in her purse), and isn't afraid of!

I recommend finding a range that rents handguns and having her try a few.  Some places have programs specifically tailored to new and/or women shooters.

Or go to a gun show and have her handle a few handguns to see which fit her grip and of course which ones she likes.

Or find a few buds with handguns willing to bring them to the range so she can try them.

I taught my nephew's girlfriend how to shoot.  I started off with a GSG 1911 in .22, then moved up to a 1911 in .45ACP.  

Lastly, but far most importantly, make sure she is properly trained on how to handle a handgun safely! 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

The wife is inquiring about a handgun. I started reading this thread... Again... From the beginning then gave up. Many links are now no longer valid.  So..

Suggestions for a pistol for the spouse? I have rifles, no handguns, and was also thinking of getting something for concealed carry for myself. I'd like to simplify logistics with coming magazines or maybe just caliber If feasible. 

So "2' on all of the advice above from your post to now.

That said, wife originally carried a S&W .38.  She got an airweight for it's lightness but that made it a sumbitch to shoot and thus she wouldn't.  After about 20 rounds, I too was done with it.

At that time, I carried an XDS .45 and loved it. Small, thin, made a big hole in the target.

However, we both switched to carrying a S&W Shield in 9mm for outside the home use.  For her, it's a manageable recoil in a fairly light platform.  For me, it's a case of if we both carry the same model, she can use mine and I can use hers (sts) should that necessity arise.  Ability to swap magazines too.  I put night sights on both.

Inside the house, it's a scattering of other 9mm platforms in convenient places.

• Upvote 1

Great info. Thanks for the input!

Guy in the neighborhood is retired LEO and will now be my go to guy if the zombie apocalypse hits. Easily 350 guns plus and a closet of ammo. Nice selection of handguns and he teaches a variety of gun training classes. 

MP shield and Glock 19 were favorites. 

I don't think she will carry although her school is asking teachers to do so if trained and willing. So, looks like nightstand for her but I might carry. 

She has a carry class with range time scheduled for next week and it's borrowing something in a .40SW for the class. I need to come up with a box of ammo. 

More questions:

Best place for ammo?

Any experience with Blue Label or AAFES Glock purchase?

Best carry technique for sandals, shorts and golf shirts?

did your neighbor have a Glock 43? If not, let her try something like that as it may be more manageable (single stack vs double stack)

something else to consider: if you have a G23, you can buy a 9mm barrel and mag and easily shoot both calibers in less than 2 minutes.

- ammo was cheap online (not sure about currently), but there are several sites that track ammo cost per round

- blue label is a great deal (and now available to eligible veterans)

Okay, leaning towards the 9mm.  She has borrowed a .40SW to shoot tomorrow and finding ammo for that gun was easier than I thought although I lucked out and went to the only place in the town that had it.  Limit 50rnds, 1 per person.

Looking at purchases, a Glock 19MOS is $595 on AAFES.  I called a local dealer that does Blue Label and the same gun was $492.

Anyone with experience with the MOS sight and pros/cons, functionality with concealed carry?

We recently moved to MA (I know) and we had to take a class to apply for our Licence to Carry.

They let us use a Sig P365 for the course. My wife had never shot before and she really liked how it felt and she shot very well for someone who had never done it before.

Of course she had nothing to compare it to, so take that for what it’s worth.

If you buy from their pro shop in NH, mil gets 25% off two firearms a year. I don’t know if that applies to online sales or not, but I ordered mine the other day and it was a verification website that gives you a code and it doesn’t take long at all.

My wife and I both typically carry a G43...8+1 (with 2 rd mag extension) single stack makes it east to handle for her and easy for me to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt. I like the G23 also, but it was just too big to comfortably carry IWB in shorts. I’ll sometimes carry that when it’s winter and I can carry OWB since I have a fleece/jacket on. My wife also carries a ruger LCP2 in 380 when running...small enough she doesn’t even notice it. I think overall 9mm is a good choice for many people, regardless of sex...in the end what matters is rounds placed where you want them, expeditiously. 45 is great, but not if you can’t hit shit in a stressful situation. 

blue label is a great deal, I would definitely find a dealer who does that...you won’t find a better deal on new Glocks.

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1

Yeah, 9x19 or .380acp are generally good choices.  I like the Glock 43X (15+1 with aftermarket mags, and it is single-stack thin).  P365 and S&W Shield 9 or Shield EZ .380 are also popular.  

As to the Glock MOS.  It's decent if you want to run a red-dot.  The mounting plates do have some history of flexing and succumbing to fatigue after higher round counts though.

Edited by raimius

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Hadn’t heard of the 43x...I might soon be answering the standard question, “why did you get another gun; how is this one different than what you already have!”

I've been the asker of that question but in regard to shoes.

Okay, found a Blue Label Glock dealer and leaning towards the 43 for the wife.  26 is similar but a double stack so it's also possible.  Maybe a 19 for me.  Any idea if any of these guns are convertible to .22 for economical practice?  At current prices, .50 cents per trigger pull can get expensive quick and I'm encouraging the spouse to get a lot of range time initially.

Gun safes and home storage?  I've got nothing now and have 6 or so long guns and a couple shotguns and a little ammo.  So, basically woefully unprepared for the zombie apocalypse or a Saturday night stay in Portland.  What do you guys recommend for safe keeping and storage?

2 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

I've been the asker of that question but in regard to shoes.

Okay, found a Blue Label Glock dealer and leaning towards the 43 for the wife.  26 is similar but a double stack so it's also possible.  Maybe a 19 for me.  Any idea if any of these guns are convertible to .22 for economical practice?  At current prices, .50 cents per trigger pull can get expensive quick and I'm encouraging the spouse to get a lot of range time initially.

Gun safes and home storage?  I've got nothing now and have 6 or so long guns and a couple shotguns and a little ammo.  So, basically woefully unprepared for the zombie apocalypse or a Saturday night stay in Portland.  What do you guys recommend for safe keeping and storage?

Hopefully ammo prices will come back down. You could get 1000 rounds of cheapo 9mm Target ammo for $170 shipped pre COVID/riots. 

Depends what you want to spend. My wife bought me a single gun quick access style safe box that’s anchored into the wall next to my bed.  We didn’t want any unsecured firearms as our oldest started walking around. For the rest of my collection I got a fairly big safe on sale at the bx. It’s suites my needs of keeping the guns secure from kids, any novice to amateur burglars, or house fire. 

Ammo prices will go down again, they’re very cyclical based on political and media frenzy du jour. If you’re going to carry, practice with what you’ll use (e.g. shoot 9mm, not .22). Not to say .22 isn’t a good way to get basic reps/plinking fun, but it’s not a replacement for the gun/ammo combo you’ll carry. 

I have multiple v-line mechanical safes for the guns I keep loaded/want quick access...they’re great and come in several varieties depending on your specific needs. We have one electric safe on my wife’s night stand that’s a quick button combo to open...it has worked great for years, but I subsequently decided I didn’t want any risk of a safe not opening due to electrical failure, hence all others in our house are mechanical. For all the guns that aren’t loaded/desired quick access, they’re in lockers (gym locker room style) in the basement. All of my guns are insured...really my only requirement is to keep them locked from kids or a smash/grab/run quick burglar. I accept the fact that they won’t be saved in a fire or safe from determined burglars with time. Just one way to look at it.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, brabus said:

My wife and I both typically carry a G43...8+1 (with 2 rd mag extension) single stack makes it east to handle for her and easy for me to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt. I like the G23 also, but it was just too big to comfortably carry IWB in shorts. I’ll sometimes carry that when it’s winter and I can carry OWB since I have a fleece/jacket on. My wife also carries a ruger LCP2 in 380 when running...small enough she doesn’t even notice it. I think overall 9mm is a good choice for many people, regardless of sex...in the end what matters is rounds placed where you want them, expeditiously. 45 is great, but not if you can’t hit shit in a stressful situation. 

blue label is a great deal, I would definitely find a dealer who does that...you won’t find a better deal on new Glocks.

We went with the G43 ($379) for her.  Where did you buy the 8 round magazine?  I've have found a couple sources online and wondering about the quality of the product.

Can't say I've bought any guns for a while when we went to Weatherford, TX to a place called Gibsons Hardware.  Admittedly it was a Saturday afternoon and that place was amazingly busy with quite the crowd milling around the firearms section.  In 30-40 minutes I was there, I watched them sell 6 or so handguns.  No 9mm for sale unless you purchased a gun.

The wife took the .40 Sig out and shot with a friend of ours that will be teaching the carry class.  He took us out to his range to shoot.  She easily qual'd shooting but still isn't comfortable handling the gun and is smart enough to admit it and ask questions.  I ordered some snap caps to allow her to practice loading and misfire clearing.

On 8/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, brabus said:I have multiple v-line mechanical safes for the guns I keep loaded/want quick access...they’re great 

I have a V-Line Brute and it’s fantastic.  My gun safe is a don’t ask, don’t tell situation. My wife doesn’t ask what’s in it and I don’t tell....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Where did you buy the 8 round magazine? 

https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-emp-glock-43-enhanced-magazine-plate-plus-2

These go on the stock 6 rd mags...easy to install, give a larger grip area (a must have for my bigger hands; wife didn’t care either way), and I’ve had no issues with them for ~5 years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, brabus said:

Hadn’t heard of the 43x...I might soon be answering the standard question, “why did you get another gun; how is this one different than what you already have!”

43X was a CCW game changer for me. I used to carry either a G19 with a Surefire XC1 or a S&W 360 .357 snub depending on what I was wearing. 

Now I only carry the 43X, with the Shield Arms mags I have 15+1 in a single stack width pistol. The picture has the 15 rounders in the gun and mag pouch and the other two are the regular 15s with the Shield Arms +5 extension. 

There’s a railed version of the 43X coming out soon that Surefire just released some mini lights for, not sure if I want to pick the railed version up or not yet. 

A71C9D33-29B3-47BD-8A29-F4E4031BAE92.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TreeA10 said:

I'm now searching for concealed carry holsters for a compact and subcompact pistol.  So, how do you carry (IWB, appendix, small of back) and what holster do you like?

To be honest, I prefer to OC; but given how things have been lately, I do find myself carrying concealed more often just not to set off anyone.  Not that I care, I just prefer to avoid the drama.

For concealed carry I go with a cheap and simple Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB.  Carried that way for years, mostly a full-sized Springfield XD-45 but lately a XD-S for comfort, and never had an issue doing so. 

Just remember if you're carrying in the small of the back to get the opposite holster (i.e. righthanded shooter should get a lefthanded holster) for easier draw!

I'm an appendix carry type.  Galco works fine for me using an XD-S and now Shield.

I chose appendix so that I had positive control of the pistol at all times.  Nothing against other folks using other techniques, but I didn't like the idea of the gun behind me - my luck, I'd inadvertently print or show it with a shirt riding up, etc. Either under an untucked or tucked shirt, easy to access and I never forget it's there when answering a call of nature in an establishment.   Also, if it's in front of my, I have it within my view point at all times.  Best way of car carrying if keeping it in the holster for me.

However, I have installed car holsters in my vehicles - used to Texas Custom Holsters, think they changed their name - leather holster attached to kydex frame that is custom made for each type of pistol and vehicle.  There's a space between the holster and the car once installed so you can fit your hand around the weapon for a full draw.  Easy to install via screws and/or a car upholstery shop can do it. 

True, it involves unholstering from my body holster, into the car holster, then the reverse before exiting the car, but it does make it much better to access should it be needed while in the car.  So it increases the handling of the pistol, but makes it a way for me to keep it handy in either situation.  YMMV.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/holsters/inside-the-waistband-holsters/supertuck-iwb-holster.html

Been using that with a G43 for 5 years. I forget the gun is even there, that’s how comfortable/non-intrusive it is (including hours sitting in a car). I have one of their OWB mag holders on my non-dominant side. My opinion/experience: OWB on the strong side hip area is the best/quickest draw, followed by IWB in same location. However, IWB is primarily what I do because I prefer to be concealed. I’ll OWB carry in the woods/winter when I’ve got a fleece or jacket on. 

https://remoraholsterstore.com/

I have two of these for when I don’t have a belt on (athletic shorts, quick run to the gas station in sweats, etc.) I prefer the more secure feel of the crossbreed, but these still work pretty well for those quick trips without a belt.

For a sub-compact, the mini-tuck would also work.  I have the supertuck for my Springfield XD and just got the Reckoning for my XDS.  Not sure what to think about the Reckoning quite yet, I may end up swapping it out for the mini-tuck as the supertuck I have is great.  The Supertuck distributes the weight well and is as comfortable as is reasonable for a holster.  Spend the extra on the horsehide if it's available.  I wear at 5:00 so the end of the grip ends up directly behind my spine; find my shirt catches and prints the least there.