Gun Talk

VL-16

I have an xde in 9mm. It's basically a Glock 19 sized single stack with a hammer. It shoots fine. Holsters were hard to find. I haven't carried it due to the last point, but that's not an issue anymore.

If you aren't proficient with a double action gun, either skip it or dedicate the time to be ok with the double action. It actually isn't that hard.

The low effort slide thing is just a function of having a heavy hammer spring.

I’ll chime in on this discussion since I have both the xds in .45 and 9mm. I’ll say this I’m not a big fan of the xde due to all the things M2 mentioned. After shooting both of my xds’s I like hem both.  While the 9 is newer so it has the updated/fixed trigger on it it’s fine. The recoil is just fine for a small framed gun. The wife has no problem shooting it. I don’t have an issue putting multiple mags down range with the .45. Ive got the pinky extension on it finally and will be getting the 6 round mags to replace that soon. The recoil is a little snappy but it is controllable for sure. Now my wife didn’t like shooting the .45 but would if she had too.  I’d look into either on of those for your wife for sure, esp if you can catch them on sale like I did with the 9mm. 

• Like 2

Now that the AF has decided that they will transition to the M18 in the next few years anybody have any experience with it? I am unable to find a P320 Carry with the manual safety and the FCU is unable to be retrofitted to add one. Ideally I'd get one with a manual safety just because it's what I would carry and it's not a hassle to leave it off if I don't want to use it. I'm hoping to jump on the P320 train before they get harder to find.

26 minutes ago, Breckey said:

Now that the AF has decided that they will transition to the M18 in the next few years anybody have any experience with it? I am unable to find a P320 Carry with the manual safety and the FCU is unable to be retrofitted to add one. Ideally I'd get one with a manual safety just because it's what I would carry and it's not a hassle to leave it off if I don't want to use it. I'm hoping to jump on the P320 train before they get harder to find.

I know there have been some issues with the P320 with the firing without pulling the trigger. But I’m not a sig owner, just what I’ve seen on the inter webs.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, raimius said:

The idea isn't to be Rambo.  A carbine buys you more time and distance, which opens up opportunities for other people to help you out.

Specifically, enough distance for Sandy to mow down shitheads around you just before Jolly drops in.  The effective range of the GAU-5A (considering barrel length, twist rate/bullet stabilization, muzzle velocity, ammo specs) was carefully compared to 'distance' data from friendly weapons to set a minimum threshold.  The max was limited by available space in the seat kit.  We sent a weapons SME and AFE tech to a conference a few months back to ensure the GAU hit all those requirements.  I'm only familiar with what one MDS had to give up in the seat kit to fit the GAU, but given the ground picture in CENTCOM I'll gladly take the GAU over those other niceties.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone here shoot 6.5 Creedmoor?  Building an AR-10 and debating 6.5C vs 308.

Yes. I like the Creedmore.

I bought a LaRue Ultimate Upper kit in 6.5 CM. http:// https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-7-62-260-6-5cm-upper-kit/

I also built an Alexandria pro fab AR-10 in .308

Comparing those two manufacturers isn’t exactly fair, but my advice: Get both.
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 2:27 AM, M2 said:

shoot.PNG

If you're in the mudhen you don't have a hair on your ass if you don't dual wield while the other guy works the radio.

As a light grey guy I think this will only marginally improve my strafe Pk.

Edited by billy pilgrim

3D printed guns are freedom of speech, so all guns are freedom of speech?  This has potential to be big.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33379/sharing-3d-printed-gun-instructions-online-free-ashe-schow?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=102516-podcast&utm_campaign=beingconservative

Edited by matmacwc

Don't get too excited just yet.  The PLANS for printable guns are 1A, I would still think that if you actually printed said gun, you may have just committed multiple crimes.  But it is a strong argument against gun control.  Much like the pope's ban on crossbows back in the Crusader era, technology advances will almost certainly make bans on specific technology look absurd given enough time.

I don't think that 3D printing your own gun would be an issue. People make handmade guns all of the time (muskets, 80% ARs, etc). The issue will be when you make a gun for somebody else. This came up when people would let others use their CNC machine to mill out 80% lowers...for a small fee. The ATF determined that you were now an unlicensed manufacturer and were dealt with accordingly.

From ATF Ruling 2015-1

Any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver...must be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA)...A business may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and record keeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery or equipment.

BLUF: Do it yourself with your own stuff: legal. Do it for somebody else without an FFL: illegal

11 hours ago, Breckey said:

I don't think that 3D printing your own gun would be an issue. People make handmade guns all of the time (muskets, 80% ARs, etc). The issue will be when you make a gun for somebody else. This came up when people would let others use their CNC machine to mill out 80% lowers...for a small fee. The ATF determined that you were now an unlicensed manufacturer and were dealt with accordingly.

From ATF Ruling 2015-1

BLUF: Do it yourself with your own stuff: legal. Do it for somebody else without an FFL: illegal

So if I rent a drill press from a business (who is not a licensed firearm manufacturer) and use it to make my own firearm, then the business and I have committed a crime?  I don't think so... 

Go buy a drill press from Harbor Freight, and a router from them, too.

Then go buy the EasyJig, and 80% away.

https://www.80percentarms.com/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig

The jig comes with the drill bits and end mill for the router, and is really stout.  I've completed about 10 80%s of different sources, and with the exception of the first one (which was admittedly a learning experience on many levels, but fixed up nicely with some JB Weld and re-milling!) they all turned out great.

YouTube is your friend with all of this stuff: plenty of good tutorials, even with YouTube's latest gun control search-and-destroy attempt to eradicate videos showing how to "build assault weaponz!!!1!!"

6 hours ago, Hacker said:

Go buy a drill press from Harbor Freight, and a router from them, too.

Then go buy the EasyJig, and 80% away.

https://www.80percentarms.com/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig

The jig comes with the drill bits and end mill for the router, and is really stout.  I've completed about 10 80%s of different sources, and with the exception of the first one (which was admittedly a learning experience on many levels, but fixed up nicely with some JB Weld and re-milling!) they all turned out great.

YouTube is your friend with all of this stuff: plenty of good tutorials, even with YouTube's latest gun control search-and-destroy attempt to eradicate videos showing how to "build assault weaponz!!!1!!"

Non gun related - saw Harbor Freight here and had to give them a huge shout-out for those not familiar.  1/2 or less the price for a comparable tool from the big box stores, and most of the time it is basically the same tool.  Many hate on them for making "junk," but if you know what not to buy (e.g. certain electrical motor stuff) and keep your expectations very low, you should be pleasantly surprised by over 80% of the stuff you buy there.  I recently branched out into more expensive stuff and have been thrilled by the value - 29 gal compressor, power saws, floor jack, Bauer drills, etc. 

Back to guns:

With the 80% lower thing, is the main reason for doing this just so you don't have to register the serial number with the bureau of booze, cigarettes and guns?  At a glance, a real lower receiver is $35-$40 bucks for an Anderson or PSA, both of which I have used and found to be excellent.  The 80% ones seem to be significantly more, so it doesn't seem that saving money is a thing here. 

2 hours ago, JS said:

Non gun related - saw Harbor Freight here and had to give them a huge shout-out for those not familiar.  1/2 or less the price for a comparable tool from the big box stores, and most of the time it is basically the same tool.  Many hate on them for making "junk," but if you know what not to buy (e.g. certain electrical motor stuff) and keep your expectations very low, you should be pleasantly surprised by over 80% of the stuff you buy there.  I recently branched out into more expensive stuff and have been thrilled by the value - 29 gal compressor, power saws, floor jack, Bauer drills, etc. 

Back to guns:

With the 80% lower thing, is the main reason for doing this just so you don't have to register the serial number with the bureau of booze, cigarettes and guns?  At a glance, a real lower receiver is $35-$40 bucks for an Anderson or PSA, both of which I have used and found to be excellent.  The 80% ones seem to be significantly more, so it doesn't seem that saving money is a thing here. 

Agreed on harbor freight. Their tools aren’t “the best of the best by the men’s room” for professionals that use them daily, but for that tool you need every now and then they have great products. 

Ill say the same for PSA. They have good stuff for range fun at a decent price but I’ve had some minor  issues with their stuff, as well as several close friends. I wouldn’t bet my life on a harbor freight tool or a PSA gun/part, but they have good deals for “weekend warriors”. 

On July 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM, JS said:

Back to guns:

Register?  Unless you live in one of the few progressive states that are extremely anti-2A, there is no federal requirement to register non-NFA firearms, which probably accounts for more than 98% of the firearms in private hands, including semi-auto AR-15s, AKs, etc.

When you purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer, you fill out a BATFE Form   4473 in order for an instant background check to be completed.  The licensed dealer is then required to keep the form for 20 years and allow the ATF to view the form at anytime on demand.  Also, if you then decide to sell the firearm as a non-licensed dealer, there is no federal requirement to perform a background check, keep a record of the transaction, etc...and that's where the paper-trail stops. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's what I meant - when the FFL writes down the serial number in his log.  Not really registering, but I assume this is why people want to make their own 80% untraceable AR?