Gun Talk

VL-16

38 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

So today a good guy with a gun in a school stopped a bad guy with a gun in a school.  Liberal skulls exploding everywhere.

Too bad the headlines didn''t read "No school shootings to report"

12 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I have... my Grandfather's issued 1911 he carried through WWII,

That's f-ing awesome.  Didn't you also say you have your great-grandfather's original pilot license signed by Orville Wright? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JS said:

I've had a Springfield 1911 for almost 10 years.  I never considered carrying it.  It's about twice the weight of some of these new polymer single stack 9s or 380s plus a lot more bulky.  Although I do love shooting it, it's our living room home defense gun. 

Just one?  Slacker! :moon:

I love the 1911, and shoot mine (I have several, mostly Springfields) better than pretty much every other type of pistol I own.  They are a bit heavier, but I am more comfortable with the ergonomics of the single stack and the weight makes them easier to shoot.

That said, the 1911 is why I carry a XD(M) Competition Series .45; the dimensions (minus width) are pretty much the same as a 1911 and overall it's lighter, but the selling factor is 13 round magazines (plus one in the chamber and an extra mag on me somewhere).  Are 27 rounds of .45 ACP enough?  I hope so, and I'd rather have and not need than the other way around.

So I end up with about 12 more rounds with a pistol that is pretty much the same dimensions and somewhat lighter than a 1911.  It's ain't nearly as pretty, but that's a burden I'll just have to bare...

Cheers!  M2

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Too bad the headlines didn''t read "No school shootings to report"

Or no one was killed by cancer, or died in an auto accident, or got sick from eating Tide pods...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JS said:

That's f-ing awesome.  Didn't you also say you have your great-grandfather's original pilot license signed by Orville Wright? 

Truth.  Great-Grandfather on Mom's side got his checkride from Orville Wright.  I wonder if Orville carried a 1911?

Re: Single-Stack 9mm for concealed...

I'll be the Walther fanboy and suggest the PPS. Single stack, light, thin, and competitve to several other options when it comes to price. 

I've got some sizable mitts and between the swapable grips and the grip area afforded by the 8rd magazine, it's easy to hold and shoot. Several hundred rounds through my current PPS for very tight groups and no problems, regardless of ammo.

Between the gun and an Aliengear IWB holster, I'll carry at a 4 o'clock position all day and damn near forget that it's there. 

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Truth.  Great-Grandfather on Mom's side got his checkride from Orville Wright.

That's f-in awesome too.  No military roots in my family, just poor European immigrant great-grandparents coming over on boats on both sides of the family. 

5 hours ago, Stretch said:

Re: Single-Stack 9mm for concealed...

I'll be the Walther fanboy and suggest the PPS. Single stack, light, thin, and competitve to several other options when it comes to price. 

I've got some sizable mitts and between the swapable grips and the grip area afforded by the 8rd magazine, it's easy to hold and shoot. Several hundred rounds through my current PPS for very tight groups and no problems, regardless of ammo.

Between the gun and an Aliengear IWB holster, I'll carry at a 4 o'clock position all day and damn near forget that it's there. 

Aw man, I had a feeling someone would mention this gun, just when I had it narrowed down to like 2 guns.  In all seriousness, I have had a Walther P99 for about 10 years and love it - it's currently the nightstand gun with a light/laser parked under the barrel on that rail that came with it.  I actually just shot it yesterday after not having played with it for many months.  So I will definitely add the PPS to my crosscheck.  I just hadn't heard anything about it in single stack 9mm CCW circles and assumed it wasn't that good.  But at a glance, it looks like there are multiple reviews and videos out there comparing it to the XD, Shield, and Glock43.  I'll have to see if the range has one to rent in addition to renting the Shield 9mm.  The prices seem very nice on the PPS - looks like Buds has a military/LEO deal on it for a little more than $300. 

On 3/20/2018 at 5:38 PM, Kiloalpha said:

There's a vicious irony in your stance on guns... and your profile picture. Just saying.

That's not a stance on guns, that's a stance of kids being killed in schools. There's a difference.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:34 PM, HeloDude said:

They could have had that headline for 99.99999% of the schools that day.

Which is still less than 100%.

18 hours ago, Vertigo said:

That's not a stance on guns, that's a stance of kids being killed in schools. There's a difference.

Which is still less than 100%.

Honest inquiry... Your solution?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/timeline-parkland-shooter-nikolas-cruz/?utm_term=.4da24e6f07a0

Don't care what side you're on... I challenge anyone to read the above article and tell me who/what is to blame for the Parkland shooting. Plenty of people say "this tragedy could have been avoided!" then go on to let out some long-winded political screeching that has nothing to do with actually preventing this from happening again.

2 hours ago, tk1313 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/timeline-parkland-shooter-nikolas-cruz/?utm_term=.4da24e6f07a0

Don't care what side you're on... I challenge anyone to read the above article and tell me who/what is to blame for the Parkland shooting. Plenty of people say "this tragedy could have been avoided!" then go on to let out some long-winded political screeching that has nothing to do with actually preventing this from happening again.

It's very interesting to see his story in a timeline like this.  I wonder if one compared his case with others what trends could be identified.

Edited by JustHangingOut

1 hour ago, tk1313 said:

OK, I accept your challenge.  Nikolas Cruz is to blame.  But the FBI, Broward County Sherrif, and Florida Department of Children and Families have blood on their hands in this.  Their failures in light of overwhelming and repeated evidence of threats of him shooting up a school are pretty clearly spelled out in that article.

• Upvote 1

What causes a person to think that shooting is a proper response to a life situation?

When a young boy walks into a HS and shoot a girl he broke up with, what is the critical element that was present (or not present) that lead that person to believe that COA was reasonable?  What bit flips in folks heads that leads them down that path?  And what in the rest of the 99.x% of society keeps that bit from flipping?  I personally think that is root cause here. 

Be it a truly mental breakdown, lack of faith/society heading away from a "greater purpose than just me" mindset, or lack of a strong family....those seem to be root causes here.

Go ahead and raise the age limit on gun purchases, ban the bump stock and large cap magazines, heck...hell enforce every rule currently on the books...there will be another mass casualty situation involving firearms.  This process will repeat until the realization that gun laws/restrictions may be a preventive measure...but they won't solve root cause.  That is the real slippery slope here.

I'm a proud NRA life member and unfortunately can't live with my trove of firearms here in DC, so don't misunderstand my ultimate position on this issue (you have the right), but society/politicians know they are spouting BS/window dressing when they talk about bans/new laws ....they are missing, or not in public addressing, root cause (Center of Gravity for your OODA Loop types) and that is what pisses me off the most about this entire situation. 

Standing by for wire-brush/flaming. 

ATIS

• Upvote 4

Easier to separate D and R into their respective corners, ring the bell and incite the fight... Much harder to address and correct the fact that mental health has taken a back seat to social justice. Gun or no gun, bad craniums do bad things.

Citibank has made the news with some new anti 2nd amendment policies. They also currently provide the Government Travel Card (GTC) which military members are forced to sign up for and used for all official travel. Now that Citibank made policy based on political ideology, how long before a service member challenges the GTC requirement of the JTR that supports of a private company with a political agenda contrary to their own. Would this be a first amendment issue? (not interested in the lame tired excuse of "you don't have rights in the military")

Paraphrasing AFI1-1 sec 2.13 "Under our democratic system, the military, as a group, must remain politically neutral and divorced from partisan politics"

Does continued support of a company that is clearly no longer politically neutral affect the neutrality of the military?

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2018 at 9:03 PM, Prosuper said:

It begins ,former SCOTUS Justice Stevens thinks  the Second Amendment should be rescinded .http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/03/27/john-paul-stevens-calls-repeal-second-amendment-and-gun-control

I wouldn't say this is a "beginning" of the stupidity, as others liberal freak extremists have been known to advocate a complete repeal of the 2nd Amendment before this communist did.  But I see your point in the fact that he is one of the highest former office holders to make such a boldly ludicrous statement. 

Also, does anyone else find it morally appalling that the message of these fact-denying liberal snowflakes is so weak that they have to manipulate children into carrying that message?  The strange thing to me is that these babies are protesting to weaken or remove a right that they themselves most likely haven't exercised yet due to their age, or the fact that they have not yet had the responsibility of providing for the security of their own property or families since they are still under the teats of their parents.  I can at least try to have an open mind when a 25-something, with a tad of life experience, makes his or her case for more/less gun control based on those life experiences. I especially like reading what doctors, teachers, former military, LEOs, etc have to say.  But we are really going weaken or remove a Constitutional right because children, who are not old enough to own a weapon, are currently crying about it?  Have we devolved as a society that much?