Gun Talk

VL-16

On 4/9/2017 at 4:09 PM, F16Deuce said:

I just wanted to bump up the Palmetto State Armory name.  I bought some ammo from them, and they email me their deals.  They regularly have 5.56 ammo (XM193 or 855) that breaks the $.30/round threshold that I try to seek out, many times with free shipping.  I just ordered the 420 round ammo can, 30 cents per round, including the ammo can and free shipping (Federal American Eagle, XM193).  I won't post a link, because they constantly change, but it might be worth signing up for their email flyer if you buy a lot of ammo. 

I seem to remember a few weeks back they had a deal for 10 5.56 boxes of Federal, along with 10 MagPul magazines for $120 shipped - that's $6 per box of 20 rounds and $6 per MagPul magazine, which was a heck of a deal. 

• Upvote 1

JS, Pmags are good to go.  The issue with aluminum "GI" style mags is that any damage to the feed lips can be hard to visually detect, but can cause malfunctions.  Pmags are either broken or not broken--the polymer doesn't experience plastic deformation very much.  They can fracture, but then you can see it.  That said, they are hard to destroy. So, if you are not regularly running them over, stomping on them, or body slamming them against concrete, you should be good.  Even if you do abuse them, they are $10-15 each. 

7.62x39 is not optimized for the AR system.  There are uppers for them, but some have issues.  If you are willing to spend a little more, .300blackout gives performance pretty close to x39, runs well in short barrels or suppressed, and only requires a barrel change from the normal AR system (the case is based on 5.56). 

The 15-22 had some issues a few years back, but I haven't kept up lately.  You might want to do some research on that.  Alternately, 9mm AR pistols and carbines are gaining popularity.

Edited by raimius

14 hours ago, Smokin said:

Did someone mention filing a lawsuit?  That was the first thing I thought of when I heard they were going to put that policy in place.  Hope he takes them to the cleaners and scares other companies from entering politics.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-lawsuits/oregon-man-20-sues-walmart-dicks-over-raising-gun-buying-age-idUSKCN1GI2CG

The best part is that it's Oregon.  Therefore, rulings regarding cake sales should be immediately relevant.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, Vertigo said:

Yeah, that's why hotels and car rentals places get sued all the time for not renting to those under 21. Wait a minute...

Pretty indifferent but their case is going to be it's not a constitutional right that you can drive a car or rent a hotel. 

2 minutes ago, Zoom22 said:

Pretty indifferent but their case is going to be it's not a constitutional right that you can drive a car or rent a hotel. 

It's not a Constitutional right to purchase a firearm from Dick's either.

It's the right to bear arms, not the right to force a sporting goods store to sell to whom they choose not to.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

It's not a Constitutional right to purchase a firearm from Dick's either.

It's the right to bear arms, not the right to force a sporting goods store to sell to whom they choose not to.

It's not a Constitutional right to purchase a cake from any baker either.

You just destroyed the liberal argument to the Supreme Court that would force a Baker to make a cake for a homosexual couple.

The ruling later this year will have huge implications.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

You just destroyed the liberal argument to the Supreme Court that would force a Baker to make a cake for a homosexual couple.

I agree. I don't believe the baker should have to sell to a homosexual couple if they choose not to, even though they are a protected class (and 18 year olds aren't). 

The real question is why you, as a small business owner, wouldn't want that business? It's not like you're approving of their lifestyle, you're just profiting from making a cake.

31 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I agree. I don't believe the baker should have to sell to a homosexual couple if they choose not to, even though they are a protected class (and 18 year olds aren't). 

The real question is why you, as a small business owner, wouldn't want that business? It's not like you're approving of their lifestyle, you're just profiting from making a cake.

It doesn’t matter to me, but for some religious beliefs trump profits.  God Bless America.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I think the outcome is pretty apparent, and it will effect more than we can even think about on both sides.  Of course I thought the ACA was going down, that damn Kennedy.  

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Both are state by state.  In Oregon, age is a protected trait, 18 and up.

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The same reason why Dick's doesn't want more business...it's not like they're approving of school shootings, they would just profit from gun sales.

12 hours ago, HeloDude said:

The same reason why Dick's doesn't want more business...it's not like they're approving of school shootings, they would just profit from gun sales.

I imagine the sale of guns to 18-20 year olds is so small they can absorb that lost profit without even seeing a blip on the profit/loss sheet, whereas a small business maybe can't afford to alienate a segment of the population (and their supporters).

Regardless, no one should be FORCED to sell a product to someone else whether it be a cake, a gun, or a lapdance.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

It doesn’t matter to me, but for some religious beliefs trump profits.  God Bless America.

MOST people start up a business to make money, not to preach their beliefs.

But to each their own. 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:13 AM, raimius said:

JS, Pmags are good to go.  The issue with aluminum "GI" style mags is that any damage to the feed lips can be hard to visually detect, but can cause malfunctions.  Pmags are either broken or not broken--the polymer doesn't experience plastic deformation very much.  They can fracture, but then you can see it.  That said, they are hard to destroy. So, if you are not regularly running them over, stomping on them, or body slamming them against concrete, you should be good.  Even if you do abuse them, they are $10-15 each. 

7.62x39 is not optimized for the AR system.  There are uppers for them, but some have issues.  If you are willing to spend a little more, .300blackout gives performance pretty close to x39, runs well in short barrels or suppressed, and only requires a barrel change from the normal AR system (the case is based on 5.56). 

The 15-22 had some issues a few years back, but I haven't kept up lately.  You might want to do some research on that.  Alternately, 9mm AR pistols and carbines are gaining popularity.

Good info bro.  Funny you mention blackout, my good friend who built several ARs currently has a 300 Blackout version and was recommending the same thing to me.  I just don't like the higher ammo price, which is why I was thinking of that 22 to really have fun with while keeping the regular 5.56 for home defense and occasional hog hunting or something.  And I guess at the end of the day, if I were really going to get a good 7.62x39 rifle, why not get the original "assault" rifle that it was designed for. 

Questions on magazines:

1.  How many magazines do you guys keep on hand?  I have read guys having several to several hundred.  I friend of mine bought a case of 100 GI magazines when the Obama freaks were talking about banning high capacity mags. 

2.  If you keep multiple mags on hand, how many do you keep loaded up while your AR is in crew rest?  I think I have like 8 magazines but only keep like 3 or 4 actually loaded in the safe next to the rifle.  I heard it doesn't really harm the spring to keep them loaded with 30 rounds indefinitely.  

On 9/11/2017 at 10:32 AM, Hacker said:

Funny to look back at the beginning of this thread, 10 years later, at how .40 has begun to fall from favor after a decade.

I bring it up because in the last two weeks I've picked up two used .40 former LEO trade-ins -- a Sig P229 and a Glock 23 -- in absolutely ripping deals.  All courtesy of the trend to move away from the .40 and back to the 9x19.  Both are in terrific condition, typical police trade in stuff, light holster wear on the outside, dirty and needing a good cleaning but barely worn on the inside.

Seems like I just got done buying some great cheap LEO trade-in wheel guns (a Smith 686 and Smith Model 28) back when the "wonder nines" became popular in the early 90s.  I also followed that up a decade later when .40 became the new hotness for cops and the FBI here 15 years ago and 2nd gen Glocks and others in 9x19 were hitting the used gun stores.

Too bad those Smiths and Glocks are all long gone now, traded or sold for others over the years, but I sure enjoyed them and their budget price, and definitely got more than my money back in the sales and trades.  I'd especially love to have that 686 back.

I'll be buying more LEO trade-ins in 9x19 when that goes out of style again here in another 15-20 years.  Until then, now I finally have something to do with all that .40 brass and random .40 rounds I've picked up over the years at the range.

Good to know.  I asked the guys at the local gunshop about this and they definitely said there were a lot of .40s coming in as people try to sell them.  The gun store said they stopped taking them in because they had too many to get rid of.  I asked him what a good price was on, for example, an M&P .40 used, and he was telling me $425 or so.  That didn't seem like that great of a deal. 

Where were you picking up these used LEO .40s?  I even looked in a few local pawn stores for one and didn't see anything. 

12 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I imagine the sale of guns to 18-20 year olds is so small they can absorb that lost profit without even seeing a blip on the profit/loss sheet, whereas a small business maybe can't afford to alienate a segment of the population (and their supporters).

Regardless, no one should be FORCED to sell a product to someone else whether it be a cake, a gun, or a lapdance.

Yet a cake company can't afford to not sell a cake to an extremely small segment of the population?

Totally agree on your last sentence. 

8 hours ago, JS said:

Good to know.  I asked the guys at the local gunshop about this and they definitely said there were a lot of .40s coming in as people try to sell them.  The gun store said they stopped taking them in because they had too many to get rid of.  I asked him what a good price was on, for example, an M&P .40 used, and he was telling me $425 or so.  That didn't seem like that great of a deal. 

Where were you picking up these used LEO .40s?  I even looked in a few local pawn stores for one and didn't see anything. 

$299 at AIM Surplus for a LEO .40

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SWMP40&name=LEO+Trade-In+Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P40+.40+S%26W+Handgun&groupid=7952

9 hours ago, JS said:

1.  How many magazines do you guys keep on hand?  I have read guys having several to several hundred.  I friend of mine bought a case of 100 GI magazines when the Obama freaks were talking about banning high capacity mags. 

2.  If you keep multiple mags on hand, how many do you keep loaded up while your AR is in crew rest?  I think I have like 8 magazines but only keep like 3 or 4 actually loaded in the safe next to the rifle.  I heard it doesn't really harm the spring to keep them loaded with 30 rounds indefinitely.  

1. Personal preference.  If you are worried about a magazine ban (with grandfathering), more is better.  Otherwise, I'd say however many you would want to use at once times 1.5 or x2, just to cover potential damage.  Frankly, there are enough 10-pack Pmag deals out there that one of those would be a logical choice.

2. Again, personal preference.  If you would use it for defensive purposes, I'd suggest at least one.  Having it in the safe in condition 3 might not be a bad idea, so long as you respect the status of the firearm during handling.  Running out the door/back to the bedroom while shoving loose rounds in a mag is not a great idea, despite the guy in TX's results against a mass shooter.  If you fear zombie uprisings or just don't like loading mags before heading to the range...more, I guess.

17 hours ago, JS said:

Online at places like GT Distributors, Kings's Firearms Online, and Recoil Gun Works.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:40 AM, Hacker said:

Online at places like GT Distributors, Kings's Firearms Online, and Recoil Gun Works.

Cool, I have purchased from GT distributors before.  I was doing some research on a 9mm for concealed carry, and it looks like GT distributors has the best Blue Label prices for a Glock 43 ($358).  Anyone have any experience with the Glock 42 or 43 as far as using it for concealed carry?