Gun Talk

VL-16

On 2/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, brickhistory said:

So in addition to being unable to remember where I put that opened Ensure, I find myself unable to find where JBSA allows personal conveyance of a firearm as Nellis just did.

I could've sworn I read that JBSA, being in Texas and all, treated folks like grown-ups.

Big-a@@ sign going through the gate said "Verboten!"  Google-fu shows same.

Help/link to sanity?

Here ya go, my friend...

http://www.jbsa.mil/Portals/102/Documents/Safety/AFD-120720-032.pdf

http://www.jbsa.mil/Portals/102/Documents/Security and Policy Review/JBSA Privately Owned Firearms Tri-Fold.pdf

http://www.jbsa.mil/News/News/Article/599091/jbsa-privately-owned-firearms-policy-provides-accountability/

Obviously your hopes of being treated like an adult here are just a dream....

Interesting choice by Dick's Sporting Goods today (http://pressroom.dicks.com/press-information/media-statements.aspx?camp=sns::20180227).  Most of the headlines are focusing on the company's decision to stop selling AR-15s, along with their encouraging an AWB.  Not much to see here, as it's totally up to them what they choose to sell.

More interesting to me is their choice to limit sales of firearms to persons 21 and up.  I'm no lawyer, but I thought that the CRA limited a business's ability to deny service based on protected traits.  In many states, age has been added to that list of protected traits.  Obviously, this wouldn't apply to something limited by law (like alcohol sales age, or existing laws on gun sales), but if someone is legally of age to buy a rifle, can a business legally discriminate based on age and deny the sale?

Edit to add, the average age for mass shooters is 34, with the preponderance being white males.  Just imagine if their discrimination criteria was "we won't sell guns to whites, males, or people between 30 and 39."

Edited by HU&W

Dick's pulled a similar stunt after Sandy Hook.  

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/27/dicks-cancels-troy-carbine-pre-orders-troy-customers-irate/

Then undid it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/dicks-sporting-goods-selling-assault-rifles-again-new-store-chain-f6C10964008

That's some serious conviction right there.  They didn't sell them for a whole 9 months.

Fuck em.  

1 hour ago, nunya said:

Dick's pulled a similar stunt after Sandy Hook.  

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/27/dicks-cancels-troy-carbine-pre-orders-troy-customers-irate/

Then undid it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/dicks-sporting-goods-selling-assault-rifles-again-new-store-chain-f6C10964008

That's some serious conviction right there.  They didn't sell them for a whole 9 months.

Fuck em.  

To be fair, their Field and Stream stores are not the same stores as their Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

The Dick's stores never stocked them after Sandy Hook. Now they're taking them off the shelves of their Cabellas/Bass Pro Shop type of store.

4 hours ago, HU&W said:

Edit to add, the average age for mass shooters is 34, with the preponderance being white males.  ................

The average age for school mass shooters is likely much younger.  I can envision states, even a Congress and President, enacting an age 21 rule.  We already age restrict alcohol, which occurred because parents and communities were tired of their teenage kids dying in drunk driving accidents.  It won't stop school shootings, but it may reduce them.  That's why they'll try.  However, how many kids break into the parents' liquor cabinet? 

Out

2 hours ago, torqued said:

Everything is confused. I don't know what the F is happening.

The President advocated for taking people’s guns without due process, that’s what happened. Thanks Oba...wait a second...

No worries though, anything Trump said was null and void as soon as that meeting was over, as he has demonstrated repeatedly and on a variety of issues.

• Upvote 3

Dick's self-imposed policy to limit long-gun sales to those over 21 will surely make some under 21'er and his/her lawyer rich.

If the state/federal law is 18, then for a store to decide public policy is lawsuit bait.

But at least it wasn't about wedding cakes...

12 hours ago, nsplayr said:

No worries though, anything Trump said was null and void as soon as that meeting was over, as he has demonstrated repeatedly and on a variety of issues.

Agreed, he says all kinds of crazy shit.  Which he might believe at the moment he is saying it, but who can know?  

Still better than Hillary!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Dick's self-imposed policy to limit long-gun sales to those over 21 will surely make some under 21'er and his/her lawyer rich.

If the state/federal law is 18, then for a store to decide public policy is lawsuit bait.

But at least it wasn't about wedding cakes...

Yeah, that's why hotels and car rentals places get sued all the time for not renting to those under 21. Wait a minute...

On 2/28/2018 at 9:08 AM, Vertigo said:

To be fair, their Field and Stream stores are not the same stores as their Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

The Dick's stores never stocked them after Sandy Hook. Now they're taking them off the shelves of their Cabellas/Bass Pro Shop type of store.

http://time.com/money/5178963/dicks-semi-automatic-rifles-cabelas-bass-pro-shops/

Cabellas/Bass Pro are a separate company from Dicks, and are still stocking and selling ARs.

EditL Now that I re-read it, I think you meant that Field and Stream is Dick's version of a Cabellas/Bass Pro store. My bad, if that is what you meant.

Edited by kaputt
Reading comprehension
  • Upvote 1

No, no.  See above where the laws applying to age discrimination are simply waived because...well, it's for the children.

Just trying to follow the logic train tracks of some here and in the crazy, divided society we live in:

Discriminating against a segment of the population by not selling them something you don't like/agree with is ok, but someone not selling/making something they don't like/believe is not.  

And the courts won't get involved with one issue because...something.  But the courts did on the other and it's ok.

15 hours ago, brickhistory said:

No, no.  See above where the laws applying to age discrimination are simply waived because...well, it's for the children.

Just trying to follow the logic train tracks of some here and in the crazy, divided society we live in:

Discriminating against a segment of the population by not selling them something you don't like/agree with is ok, but someone not selling/making something they don't like/believe is not.  

And the courts won't get involved with one issue because...something.  But the courts did on the other and it's ok.

Age is a protected class, but it seems most of these laws were written to protect old vs young. That doesn't necessarily mean courts would interpret it that way.

I was able to find an age discrimination case with the ACLU for a PFC Zinn filing a complaint against holiday Inn for not renting him a room before age 21...but looks like it may have been settled before the precedent was set.

Step right up to be the next Dick Heller!

On 2/28/2018 at 6:03 PM, disgruntledemployee said:

Yep, I too like to shoot in "Full semi-auto." 

Out

And I like how each time he fires the weapon his forward grip is on a different part of the rifle.  I guess his hand position is different in semi-auto vs full semi-auto.  LOL. 

Back to the original topic. 

I picked this Del-Ton 316 Echo up a few weeks before the latest incident.  It's my first AR.  We shot up some beer cans a few weeks ago and I just took it to a real range the other day to sight it in.  Seems a very solid, nice piece, and all for $399 online delivered, no tax from CDNN (sold out now).  The only thing I added was the MagPul rear sight and a cheap sling. I  kind of like the classic, non-jazzed up look to it with the standard mil spec stock, heat shield, front sight, etc.  My cousin (army SF) came over and approved of it after tearing it apart, but not before recommending all the fancy accouterments like a quad rail with lights, scopes, a fancy sling, etc.  

Overall this seems to be a great piece.  Now I want another before the freaks try to ban them!  I was looking at other caliber ARs - anyone have any experience with the 7.62x39 or .308 ARs?  I also heard the .22LR versions are very fun and cheap to shoot and can be had for like $300.  I am eyeing up the S&W MP 15-22 gun for a plinker.  

Any strong opinions on magazines out there for the 5.56?  I bought a few Magpul mags to supplement the two "GI" mags that came with the rifle.  I really like the Magpul ones, but my cousin said they are banned by SOCOM, plus a lot of videos online (and the Marine Corps Reservist who works at the range) all say they swear by the cheap metal standard issue ones vs the plastic ones. 

RFTM16-0-2.gif.6de32ae79341cd1cec3db1245bf62277.gif

My cousin said they first banned the window MagPul magazine, which I have 5 of, specifically because the window was a weak point after being dropped and stepped on.  He said they then banned all polymer Magpuls.  I told him I like the window feature and don't plan on dropping and stomping my magazines like a typical SF guy killing people for a living would do.