Gun Talk

VL-16

Bro's,

BLUF: Is it legal/advisable to set up a petition in the BX to allow personally owned firearms to be in personally owned vehicles while on base?

This has probably been discussed before in the over 200 pages of this thread or one of the 1000's of threads in this forum, but I can't find it exactly.... I recently PCS'd and during the welcome brief I asked the installation commander (and my wing commander, two different people) about the ability to carry concealed onto base and then leave my POF locked in the car. The wing commander deferred to the installation commander. The installation commander said a "threat working group" decided there is no reason to concealed carry on base (not what I'm asking for), and "nobody wants to carry anyways"... I took an informal poll (so to speak) of the audience and they strongly disagreed with him. That said, one of the guys in my squadron was talking about the potential to set up a table and collect signatures of individuals that would like to have their 2nd amendment right while traveling through the ghetto that surrounds the base (I personally have no desire to carry on base). I was wondering your collective thoughts? Another way to go about this is to talk to congress, but I don't know how far that would get me. Standing by for spears and/or snide remarks (and hopefully some good input in the mix too).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

I was considering buying an "Urban Carry" holster as well, until I saw that video.

There are a shitload of Kydex holster-makers to choose from, but these guys offer endless options: http://www.huckleberrytacticalshop.com/category-s/141.htm

They're one of the only places to offer a light-bearing XDM .45 holster (for a Surefire X300, among other options), IWB or OWB.

Multiple mounting options, including G-Code clips... RMR optic cut optional, threaded barrel cut, level II retention options, etc...

7 hours ago, DFRESH said:

Bro's,

BLUF: Is it legal/advisable to set up a petition in the BX to allow personally owned firearms to be in personally owned vehicles while on base?

This has probably been discussed before in the over 200 pages of this thread or one of the 1000's of threads in this forum, but I can't find it exactly.... I recently PCS'd and during the welcome brief I asked the installation commander (and my wing commander, two different people) about the ability to carry concealed onto base and then leave my POF locked in the car. The wing commander deferred to the installation commander. The installation commander said a "threat working group" decided there is no reason to concealed carry on base (not what I'm asking for), and "nobody wants to carry anyways"... I took an informal poll (so to speak) of the audience and they strongly disagreed with him. That said, one of the guys in my squadron was talking about the potential to set up a table and collect signatures of individuals that would like to have their 2nd amendment right while traveling through the ghetto that surrounds the base (I personally have no desire to carry on base). I was wondering your collective thoughts? Another way to go about this is to talk to congress, but I don't know how far that would get me. Standing by for spears and/or snide remarks (and hopefully some good input in the mix too).

D

While I am 100% behind that idea, I think it would be futile as ultimately it's the base commander's decision as to whether to allow personally-owned firearms on the installation.  A few bases (Dyess for one) allow it, but for the most part it's not a "risk" most base commanders will take despite the fact that there's greater danger in driving or crossing the street.

But, until such time Trump or the Federal government makes it permissible, we will continue to be stripped of our 2A rights! :bash:

• Upvote 1

Essentially "2" on M2's post.

I do not know if it's "legal" to organize a petition on-base, but I do know it's a direct challenge to "The Man."  Do so at your peril.

Base commander has made a determination. 

Best bet, albeit a long shot and dependent on the political leaning of your elected representatives is to contact those offices and ask "How come?" 

Since DoD loosened the reins at the first of the year regarding on-base weapons by permitted individuals, it is still the installation commander's ultimate decision.  Most don't have the guts to trust us.

As a personal anecdote, I tried the congressional maneuver at Offutt last year.  Stirred the pot and caused "The Man" to respond, but it wound up being the "study group" you mentioned in your post.  Gave the examples of Dyess and other bases letting this happen as well as the specific DoD instructions.  Results were the same as before I tried, however.

I haven't even bothered here at Nellis since every single elected official in my food chain is anti-gun, i.e., a liberal Democrat.

I recently PCS'd and during the welcome brief I asked the installation commander (and my wing commander, two different people) about the ability to carry concealed onto base and then leave my POF locked in the car. The wing commander deferred to the installation commander. The installation commander said a "threat working group" decided there is no reason to concealed carry on base (not what I'm asking for), and "nobody wants to carry anyways"... I took an informal poll (so to speak) of the audience and they strongly disagreed with him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

Standard "leadership" TTP of not answering the question that was asked whatsoever, nice.

20 hours ago, uhhello said:

Is that incoming or outgoing breaking the glass?

My eyes see: Second round sent from store owner's .45 went low and hit the glass.  The first .45 round fired hit true sending Suspect #1 stumbling backwards (looks to be DUHTF, Dead Upon Hitting The Floor).

ATIS

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I used to have the Hi Point 995TS, and although it was ugly as hell, just a tad heavy, and that big bolt reciprocating jarred my teeth when it cycled, it was utterly reliable and boringly accurate at plinking ranges.

I sold it to get an MP5 clone instead.

45 minutes ago, Hacker said:

I used to have the Hi Point 995TS, and although it was ugly as hell, just a tad heavy, and that big bolt reciprocating jarred my teeth when it cycled, it was utterly reliable and boringly accurate at plinking ranges.

Nice--what kind of MP5 clone and what sized barrel?  Zenith?  

4 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Nice--what kind of MP5 clone and what sized barrel?  Zenith?  

ATI AT-94A2.  Basically the same gun made in the same factory as the Zenith (MKE in Turkey), but the previous importer.  A2 stock and 16" CHF barrel with no muzzle device.

It was imported with a bunch of weird stuff; A2 stock spot-welded to trigger group/lower, mag-well bars to restrict use of 10-round mags, etc.  I sent it to Parabellum Combat Systems and had them 922r it, remove the mag bars, clean up the welds, strip the weird painted finish off and refinish in black duracoat.

The OD green furniture is Pakistani-made and the lower is clipped-and-pinned and US-made.

IMG_6505_zpsmyyx5ldm.jpg

IMG_0312_zps076677d1.jpg

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 4

My folks opened up an ammunition manufacturing shop in Katy, TX.  They're focusing on pistol calibers at the moment, with all the things to follow:

www.lonestarmunitions.com.  

Price/rd is competitive with the big container stores and most online shops.  They load everything to moderate pressure for positive cycling but pleasant recoil, perfect for range use and teaching new shooters.  

LSM.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2017 at 0:30 AM, Hacker said:

Same.  Cheap, reliable, but disproportionate recoil to the round fired.  Other blowback actions, such as the MechTech CCU on a 1911 lower, are much smoother.  I sold it to fund some MPX accessories.  

Another option I've considered is the TNW Aero:  https://www.tnwfirearms.com/category-s/1825.htm

I'd probably get the pistol and SBR it.  13rd stock mags, or 30rd Kriss Vector mags, vs the 9rd mags of the Hi-Point.  They recently released a 10mm version, choices...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 11:58 AM, Torch09 said:

My folks opened up an ammunition manufacturing shop in Katy, TX.  They're focusing on pistol calibers at the moment, with all the things to follow:

www.lonestarmunitions.com.  

Price/rd is competitive with the big container stores and most online shops.  They load everything to moderate pressure for positive cycling but pleasant recoil, perfect for range use and teaching new shooters.  

Torch, I hope your parents know more about running a reloading business than I do because I really hope they do well. Timing and politics may not be on their side. Did they get a camdex? Dillon S1050's? 

This is why I won't be buying from them in the immediate future:

SG Ammo New .45 $285/k (shipped)

Lonestar remanufactured .45 $302/k (shipped)

Has anyone seen an HK VP9sk in the wild yet? It was released as the SFP9sk in the metric countries.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/01/hk-sfp9-l-sfp9-sk/
http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/vp9-sk/

I'd be very interested as well.

I'm liking the possibilities here for a more full frame carry pistol to option instead of just my M&P9 shield.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:42 PM, Warrior said:

Torch, I hope your parents know more about running a reloading business than I do because I really hope they do well. Timing and politics may not be on their side. Did they get a camdex? Dillon S1050's? 

This is why I won't be buying from them in the immediate future:

SG Ammo New .45 $285/k (shipped)

Lonestar remanufactured .45 $302/k (shipped)

They're currently running 2x S1050s in parallel with Mark 7 Rev upgrades.  Once they push some inventory, they'll reinvest in a larger commercial press.  It isn't a CamDex, it's the same press Federal uses at their Minnesota Plant...I forget the name at the moment.  Brass cleaning and media separation is all via machinery that they designed and built themselves.  They both grew up farming for a living, and my dad will take any excuse to break out a welder.  

Copy on pricing.  It's a small mom-and-pop operation (literally), so as they reinvest their initial sales into bigger and more efficient machinery, prices should fall.  The long term goal is to produce everything but primers (see:  recent Lake City Plant explosion) in-house, even the powder.  Interestingly enough, the most expensive single piece of equipment is the machine that draws out and forms the brass.  

Enter promo code "HeyChongerSuckOnThisJASSM".  It doesn't work for a discount, but it feels right.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2017 at 3:15 AM, Lawman said:

I'd be very interested as well.

I'm liking the possibilities here for a more full frame carry pistol to option instead of just my M&P9 shield.

I found one at an LGS.  It's significantly larger in all dimensions than a Shield or G43, and larger in height than a G26.  It feels great in the hand (this whole post STS), and a solid deal on an HK frame, but not the carry gun I was looking for.  

• 1 month later...

I'm just impressed the thing didn't jam after 100rds (forget the suppressor part), which has been my experience shooting this weapon maintained by many different services with varying levels of upkeep.

Regardless...looks like a rip of a good time.

Cheers

ATIS