Gun Talk

VL-16

Magnum Research MR9

th?&id=OIP.Mbc5dcd90e4f1c60129306af95ec8

(note:  not my photo)

This is an authorized clone of the Walther P-99AS.  In fact, Walther makes the lower.  Magnum Research (now owned by Kahr) makes the slide, barrel, rest of the upper.

The trigger guard is squared off, very 1980s, compared to the Walther, but other than that and the stainless upper, it is identical to my beloved P-99.

So identical that magazines, springs, guide rods, etc, are interchangeable.

I had no need or intention of purchasing this, but a local gun store was nearly giving it away, so I said, "What the hell."  At least I can shoot the hell out of this and not worry about it while I would/do on the Walther - but because I don't want to fork out the larger bucks for a new Walther, not because of it being wimpy.

Back to this MR9 - 4" barrel, double/single action, decocker on top, adjustable rear sights and a boatload of different length front sights, 15+1 and with that amazing Walther-designed grip that is the best I've ever held.  If it's not obvious by now, I am a yuuuge fan of the Walther ergonomics.

I've put 600 rounds through this without a hiccup on any brand of ammo - 115, 124 gr, JHP or FMJ.

Would carry this or use it as a nightstand weapon without hesitation.

Learned I'm not a big fan of the two-toned gun.

Who knew?

8 hours ago, Spoo said:

Dude, you could buy like three Hi-Points for that.

Indeed.

Or I could add around $5k to it and get an Ed Brown 1911.

Or multiply it by an order of magnitude and get a custom Purdy shotgun.

Or just buy a mid-range gun on a whim and write a short description and report on it.

Your suggestion could work too, but I'm of a certain station and income in life where Hi-Point equals a moped or a fat girl...

Had a busted ass Stag carbine.  New barrel, muzzle brake and blemished free float tube from Brownells, throw in a new scope for good measure and wallah!  7.3 pounds unloaded and the brake spits blast back in your face, but it shoots flat.  First AR I've put together myself, no idea if it's actually a winner yet since I've only been able to shoot frang through it (flyers, there be flyers) and only 25 yards.

Rifle-1.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:27 AM, busdriver said:

Had a busted ass Stag carbine.  New barrel, muzzle brake and blemished free float tube from Brownells, throw in a new scope for good measure and wallah!  7.3 pounds unloaded and the brake spits blast back in your face, but it shoots flat.  First AR I've put together myself, no idea if it's actually a winner yet since I've only been able to shoot frang through it (flyers, there be flyers) and only 25 yards.

How do you like that Vortex scope?  I've heard really good things about them.  They also offer a 35% MSRP break to military members...

Is that off the MSRP?   that's the street price for most Vortex scopes anyways.  But still good to know, would have been better to know two weeks ago but whatever......

For a scope with 6x magnification range and 300ish bucks it's a hell of a deal.  It's heavy and there's some minor distortion, see point one again.  Even at 1x it's still a scope, not a red dot so the focal distance is to the scope not to the target.  You can focus on the target but the reticle will be out of focus, it still works fine that way but something to keep in mind.  

I hate shitty scopes but any nit-picking with the optical quality is just that in this case.  I'd buy from Vortex again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order with Vortex and thier military discount is 40% off MSRP, well below what I can find in stores and online. Great people to work with and highly recommended.  Saved a good amount for my viper pst, mount, quick throw lever and bubble level. 

They also have a pretty sweet referral program.  You get a 5% credit from a referral's purchase.  PM me if you're going to order from them.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/military_le_program

Edited by sixpack
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Glock 30 and love it. 10 rd, .45 ACP double stack mag is standard (extends slightly out the bottom to give you a pinky grip), optional 9rd (no pinky), or it can take the 13rd from the G21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, the G30 is a double stack so it's a little wide (though being a polymer frame helps compensate for that). Best advice is to find a gun range that'll rent the ones you're interested in and try them all out with the wife.

Personally, HK are some of the most comfortable guns to fire. The USP-C is not a slim gun by any means, but it's not overly large.

One of the many things I like about the LEO model is that it doesn't have a safety. It's DAO, so every trigger pull is significantly heavier than the "normal" USP, but for a carry/defensive gun, I like that.

Best advice is to find a gun range that'll rent the ones you're interested in and try them all out with the wife.

This.

At the very least, go to a gun store together and get your hands on a few. But actually firing them is always better, because not all guns fire/recoil the same

2 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

How are the ergonomics on these guns? Wife will need to be comfortable using it as well. 

This answers at least one of the questions, IMO, to be answered before changing out.

Can she/you handle recoil of something larger than, assuming, a 9mm?

Is capacity vs. caliber something you consider?

Can she/you deal with any malfunctions that could (not likely) occur with a semi-auto or would a revolver be a better choice (since you specified a couple of semis, I guess I know)?

Is budget an issue?

You named some very adequate, even good brands. 

You don't lack for choices, so narrowing any of your variables down will help.

Just some advice from Capt Obvious...carry (see what I did there?) on...

Personally, my nightstand gun is a S&W M&P 9 with 17 rounds.  Wife can use it as well.  I carry, however, an XDS in .45.  She carries a J-frame S&W .38.

The M&P has been utterly reliable through 1,000+ rounds.

• Upvote 2

S&W M&P 9mm with 17 in my nightstand as well. My wife really enjoys shooting it. Well over 2000 rounds of cheap ammo though it, only had one or two jams/misfires. I keep the expensive self defense stuff in it for home defense. She has a Glock 42 that she (and I) both also enjoy shooting if your looking for something compact. Much less capacity though. 

What, if anything do you/your wife not like about the Ruger?  Do you ever plan to carry the new gun?  You mentioned two striker fired guns, is it safe to assume you don't like a traditional double/single action pistol?   There are a lot of really good pistols on the market.

My nightstand gun is a CZ P-09.  CZs have a tendency to break trigger return springs, broke my first in the P-09 at around 4k rounds with probably 10k dry fire trigger pulls.  It has never jammed except for when I screwed up my reloads.

Thanks guys. We will be going to the gun range to shoot all that we can and make a decision then. 

The problem that I have with the P91 is twofold: 1) I've had a jam or two with the gun and it doesn't make me feel at ease. Especially with having our neighborhood being ransacked by thieves recently. 2) We have kids now and I want to have a rail for a light In order to better identify my "target" if I rush in a situation and wasn't able to grab a flashlight. (This may open up a whole other discussion) 

What a like about the P91 is it's double/single action, it's not plastic, and it can be used as a club or projectile if thrown when you run out of ammo. 

Money is somewhat of a concern (see below image if it wasn't), but will pay what I need to get a good pistol. Wife can handle more then a 9mm power wise, just need something better fitting for her. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have to buy 2 pistols in order to accommodate us both (what a shame). I don't plan on carrying this weapon. 

Having the weapon be striker fire isn't a huge concern in my decision, I mention those two as I've recently shot both and liked them. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Hopefulflyer389
Adding

19 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

I have a Glock 30 and love it. 10 rd, .45 ACP double stack mag is standard (extends slightly out the bottom to give you a pinky grip), optional 9rd (no pinky), or it can take the 13rd from the G21.

When I lived in Maryland...G30 was my nightstand gun (Glaser Safety Slug up front, CCI Speer Gold Dot in the rest of the mag(s)). 

S&W 19-3 (pic below) was my back-up loaded with .38 Special+P's.

Now I live on Cap Hill...haven't gotten around to dealing with the paperwork to bring them up from storage in Md.

2uh1hf8.jpg

1 hour ago, ATIS said:

When I lived in Maryland...G30 was my nightstand gun (Glaser Safety Slug up front, CCI Speer Gold Dot in the rest of the mag(s)). 

S&W 19-3 (pic below) was my back-up loaded with .38 Special+P's.

Now I live on Cap Hill...haven't gotten around to dealing with the paperwork to bring them up from storage in Md.

2uh1hf8.jpg

Just looked up the Glaser Super slug and may need to invest in some. How accurate are they? 

Edited by Hopefulflyer389