Gun Talk

VL-16

Old post dig up - just curious if anyone has any opinions on this gun.  I local guy wanted to sell one for less then $400 with the crimson laser and 3 clips, I think.  Seemed like a good price, and I think I am going to get another small 380 to carry around.   

I have a Taurus TCP, which is basically the same thing as a LCP only a little better (the last round locks the slide back).  Honestly, I only use it for when I'm doing yard work or in the garage, I really wouldn't trust a .380 for self-defense.  I know it's only a short 9mm, but I am a firm believer in the old adage of never shooting a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet...

Lots of 1911 talk as of late but I need a new concealed carry weapon, something light and small but I have big hands, prefer to stay 9MM so I could toss it to the wife in a pinch.

Read good things about the Glock 42, but not a big fan of .380 for stopping power.

What are you guys carrying?

Easier to teach her to shoot a .45!

Personally, I'd recommend anything with "XD" in its name...

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody own a scorpion EVO?  Prices are reasonable & it looks like a fun range/ HD gun.

I'd love to have the SBR version of one, but with a kid starting college, the gun budget has been drastically reduced...cz-usa-cz-scorpion-evo3-a1.png

Of course, I want to SBR one of these too... :mosh:
outdoorhub-video-definitive-arms-akx-9-r

• 3 weeks later...

cs45aafter.jpg

note:  not my photo

S&W CS 9 - CS for "Chief's Special."

This third generation S&W semi-auto was made pre-polymer; 1990-ish. It is a sub-compact, 7+1 9mm. 3" barrel, about the size of the Walther PPK, but considerably wider.
For me, most sub-compacts are too small for my hands and when I first got this pistol, I assumed it would be the same. Fortunately, I was wrong. With the fat Hogue rubber grips and the pinky extension on the magazine, it's not exactly a handful, but it's not too small to shoot comfortably.

I put 200 rounds of 115gr. ball through it and, save for one probably dud primer, all went bang at the appropriate time and in the expected direction. The first round is double-action and is not too bad for such. Succeeding rounds are single action and break crisply. Don't have a gauge for that break, but it's not bad at all. The safety doubles as a decocker so that if you decide to lower the hammer, you can do so without riding it while pulling the trigger a la a 1911 or revolver.

Nice gun, very suitable for CCW, even though there are better options with more modern guns that offer a higher magazine capacity for nearly the same size. If/when I get too feeble to take the beating administered by my XDS .45 for CCW, this very well may become my 'go to' choice. Small, unobtrusive, reliable.

I played around with this pistol and put a brand of sights on it called "Big Dot."

Those sights are what it says on the label. The front sight is a very large white dot (with a tritium insert for night sights). The rear sight is a wide 'V' with a single white (also tritium) vertical line. The result for aiming is:

O
I

Imagine a very small lollipop and perhaps you can get the idea. Those that are familiar with Heinie style sights will 'get' this as well.

The point of the sights is for self-defense. While you can, and I did, make 25 yard shots with them, it ain't easy and takes more work than traditional notch and post sights.
But, for 3-5 yard 'oh sh1t' use, it is simply put the big white dot over the torso and pull.

Worked a champ.

Still pondering if I want to put those type sights on the XDS mentioned above. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of 1911 talk as of late but I need a new concealed carry weapon, something light and small but I have big hands, prefer to stay 9MM so I could toss it to the wife in a pinch.

Read good things about the Glock 42, but not a big fan of .380 for stopping power.

What are you guys carrying?

For those that care I went with the S&W M&P Shield 9, a great fit for me.  A bit shocked at how easy it shoots, right out of the box I put the first eight rounds in the center ring.  A lot of luck on my part, but my office has a weekly shooting competition (one shot for the pot), I put four mags through the gun then onw shot to win the pot.

Also, for those looking for a different kind of carry holster, I give the Sticky Holster very high marks.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Need an ankle holster recommendation for my new carry gun:

076b02cc-787a-4e4f-9ac4-dc4690e2ae98_zps

Seriously though, hand-me-down from my father in-law, it was his father's before that.  Ruger Security Six with only about a dozen rounds down the barrel, six of them mine. 

9ee2c8dc-44b9-4121-9f04-8e4bf7fa6deb_zps

image3_zpsufdhxubi.jpg

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had an interesting discussion with a coworker today about gun companies and I'm curious to hear what people here think. It's been a while since I've bought a gun so my impressions might be somewhat out of date. Every time I looked at getting a new gun it seems like the choices are dominated by a handful of companies you see everywhere (Colt, Ruger, S&W, Glock, Springfield, etc.) and when people ask online for advice those same names always come up. But according to the ATF there are over 250 handgun manufacturers in the US plus all the imports each year. So who are all these small manufacturers and where are they selling guns? Most of them have sprung up since 2004 (only 79 manufacturers registered with ATF in 2004) but I don't feel like I ever see new guns from new companies on shelves.

If you think about it making a gun isn't all that complicated once you get the government approvals so it's not that surprising that new manufacturers pop up when the gun market is doing well. And it's pretty common for people to own multiple guns from different manufacturers. On the flip side, while I'm willing to try anything from names I know I'm not sure I would trust a no-name gun company I've never heard of considering how badly things can go wrong with a poorly made firearm. So has anybody hear bought from a small company or even seen companies that make maybe 1 or 2 different handguns and that's it?

Any advice for a 22 handgun.  Shot a Ruger III a few years back and loved it.  Heard it's a serious PITA to clean though.  Open to any recommendations?

Second question, how well does BX pricing compare to anyone who has done some price comparing recently?  Last time I checked was years ago in AK, and they weren't competitive.

Fucking A!  Way to go, Dyess!

Lackland, it's time to get your head out your ass and follow suit!

Dyess allows concealed handgun transport in privately-owned vehicles

Changes to the Dyess Force Protection Plan, signed and approved by Col. David Benson, 7th Bomb Wing commander, now permits authorized personnel that possess a current and valid Texas Concealed Handgun License or a reciprocating state concealed carry license to transport and secure privately-owned handguns in privately-owned vehicles within legal boundaries of Dyess Air Force Base.

"While this policy change does not allow concealed carry on base, it does allow those who carry concealed weapons to transport them onto and off the base in their vehicles," said Col. David Benson, 7th Bomb Wing commander. "This provides a safe and secure way to bring their weapons on base."

Individuals wishing to transport a handgun must also have a valid Department of Defense identification card or Common Access Card and also hold one of the following statues: active duty personnel, retired military personnel, dependents of active duty personnel or Department of Defense civilians.  However, private contractors, visitors or holders of special/one-time passes are not allowed to bring their handguns into the legal boundary of Dyess AFB at any time.

Individuals are required to keep their Texas CHL or reciprocating state CCL on their person at all times when in the legal boundaries of Dyess AFB and must surrender it as well as their valid DoD identification card when approached by Security Forces, Office of Special Investigations or local law enforcement. Upon being stopped by SF, OSI or local law enforcement, individuals must immediately identify the presence and exact location of their handgun.

"It is imperative that you tell law enforcement that you have a weapon in your vehicle, that you have a concealed carry license and where the weapon is located within the vehicle," said Maj. Mark Breed, 7th Security Forces Squadron commander. "Failure to do so could result in apprehension and a charge of failure to obey an order or regulation for military personnel or detention and administrative measures for civilian personnel."

All individuals will secure handguns in their appropriate weapons case or vehicle compartment as well as maintain control of vehicle and/or compartment keys at all times. While this change now allows handguns in POVs, it does not allow the concealed carry of firearms on your person or within facilities on Dyess AFB.

Individuals will not remove handguns from POV at any time within the legal boundary of Dyess AFB. Also, handguns will not be stored or secured in an unattended POV for more than 24 hours while within legal boundaries of Dyess AFB. For Airmen living in the dorms, the weapons must still be checked into and out of the armory for storage.

Individuals residing in on-base dormitories, lodging or temporary living facilities are not permitted to store their handgun or weapon of any kind in their room at any time. The 7th SFS armory will remain as the mandated storage repository for these weapons. The 7th SFS maintains a list of weapons removed from the armory and will notify an Airman's commander if the weapon is checked out for more the 72 hours and a leave form was not submitted.

The requirement for base residents, dorm residents and those in base housing, to register at the Visitor Control Center to maintain a weapon on base remains in place.

"This change does not waive the processes and procedures we have in place for the registration of weapons on base," said Breed. "If anything, this change makes it even more important for those who own and maintain weapons to follow the procedures from when they first acquire a weapon for those residing on base."

For more information about the Concealed Handgun Licensing Program, please visit: http://txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/index.htm.

• Upvote 4