Gun Talk

VL-16

post-2263-0-27252700-1433996420_thumb.jpdayman got me thinking about a compensator so I impulse bought this off Amazon. Since it has to clear the barrel, the hole in the front is huge (area around the bullet is about the same as the bore itself) so it doesn't actually do all that much. But it looks cool like I'm the Punisher.

Shooting lightweight bullets with slow burning powder it does reduce muzzle flip a bit, it works really well as a flash suppressor though. For the re-loaders out there, power pistol behind 185g bullets makes for impressive muzzle blast.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled onto grabagun.com.

Purchased a Springfield Mod-2 9mm...about $60 cheaper than local gun stores and no sales tax (unless buying in Texas). $5.99 flat rate shipping.

In the end, will save me just under $100 from buying in person.

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

Nice one, busdriver, I am sure no one here will be too shocked to learn I have one just like it! :thumbsup:

I actually made a nice little acquisition last Friday, a 1952 Stevens 87B that I scored for ninety bucks! It wasn't in great shape but it cleaned up well, I spent some time with some lemon oil on the stock and got all of the paint spots off it. Someone carved the initials 'JMB' on both sides of the stock. That adds to its personality even more!

I hoped to shoot it this past weekend, but the weather decided differently. I can't wait to shoot this old "clickety-clack" (so named because of the sound the action makes when shooting it)! Here are some of the seller's pics, it looks a lot nicer now...

11414540_924714704237092_1453138902_n.jp

11418246_924714707570425_1531240557_n.jp

The oddest thing (besides the gills on the left side) is that the bolt stays open after you fire a shot, and it doesn't chamber the next round until you release the trigger!

Incidentally, the internet seems to be full of folks buying Brown/Wilson/etc guns then bragging about how accurate they are by posting 2 inch groups shot at 10 yards. Then some other dope congratulates them on their purchase and great shooting. These same idiots will then go on about how inaccurate those damn Glocks are....

I'm busdriver and I'm a 1911 addict, but some folks need to buy more bullets and less guns.

ETA: 2 inches is generous usually

Edited by busdriver

Follow up to my purchase on grabagun.com:

Purchased late Sunday night (Father's Day)....only paid $5.99 for shipping....shipped out Monday morning from Texas...at my FFL noon on Tuesday.

Hoser

• Upvote 1

Incidentally, the internet seems to be full of folks buying Brown/Wilson/etc guns then bragging about how accurate they are by posting 2 inch groups shot at 10 yards. Then some other dope congratulates them on their purchase and great shooting. These same idiots will then go on about how inaccurate those damn Glocks are....

I'm busdriver and I'm a 1911 addict, but some folks need to buy more bullets and less guns.

ETA: 2 inches is generous usually

Are you saying a 20MOA group isn't amazingly great?

/sarcasm

I won't claim to be a champion marksman, but when you can't get close to the mechanical accuracy of a firearm, you have no business trash talking others firearms.

Well getting off my ass and finishing my lightweight built. I'd say I am 80% done now, just missing a lightweight BCG, lightweight buffer, gas tube, gas block, and pinning the muzzle device. I'll gain .8 oz with the V7 gas block and maybe .1 oz with the tube but then plan to lose a bunch with a high end BCG.

OU0Bbt8.jpg

KYuVq4N.jpg

The barrel and hand guard are not torqued down. I only put them on hand tight to check and make sure everything fits. So that's why there is an egregious hole between the upper and handguard.

For reference, an unloaded milspec M-4 weights 6.36 lbs.

• Upvote 2

Well getting off my ass and finishing my lightweight built. I'd say I am 80% done now, just missing a lightweight BCG, lightweight buffer, gas tube, gas block, and pinning the muzzle device. I'll gain .8 oz with the V7 gas block and maybe .1 oz with the tube but then plan to lose a bunch with a high end BCG.

OU0Bbt8.jpg

KYuVq4N.jpg

The barrel and hand guard are not torqued down. I only put them on hand tight to check and make sure everything fits. So that's why there is an egregious hole between the upper and handguard.

For reference, an unloaded milspec M-4 weights 6.36 lbs.

You didn't mention what your looking to bring this rifle in at fighting weight.

You trying to build a speed rig for 3 gun or just an exercise in "what can I build?"

You didn't mention what your looking to bring this rifle in at fighting weight.

You trying to build a speed rig for 3 gun or just an exercise in "what can I build?"

Mostly just to see how light I can make it. Forgot to mention it will also be getting an Aimpoint Micro T-1 for an optic and a different set of BUIS (the Troy BUIS in FDE currently on the gun I just had laying around).

But when I am done with it I expect the reliability to be on par with any of my other AR-15s. I know there is a lot of suspicion about polymer lowers but aside from it getting run over by a tank I have no doubt that this gun will go bang every time I pull the trigger.

Mostly just to see how light I can make it. Forgot to mention it will also be getting an Aimpoint Micro T-1 for an optic and a different set of BUIS (the Troy BUIS in FDE currently on the gun I just had laying around).

But when I am done with it I expect the reliability to be on par with any of my other AR-15s. I know there is a lot of suspicion about polymer lowers but aside from it getting run over by a tank I have no doubt that this gun will go bang every time I pull the trigger.

If you can get it in under 4 lbs I'd be very interested in a parts list.

I wouldn't want to subject it to the wear and tear of beating the hell out of it daily on a deployment but it would make a good rifle for light use like driving around a ranch on a Polaris or something.

If you can get it in under 4 lbs I'd be very interested in a parts list.

I wouldn't want to subject it to the wear and tear of beating the hell out of it daily on a deployment but it would make a good rifle for light use like driving around a ranch on a Polaris or something.

Not sure I will be able to drop another pound off without going full SBR. I'll be happy if it's in mid 4's after I throw the optic on there.

Parts so far:

New Frontier Armory polymer complete lower (came built with buffer tube, stock, and polymer LPK) - 27.3oz

V7 upper reciever sans fwd assist & dust cover - 6.3oz

Voodoo 14.5" mid length lite barrel - 19.1oz

AP Customs carbon fiber handguard - 7.9oz

V7 barrel nut - 0.7oz

V7 gas block - 0.8oz

BCM Gunfighter charging handle - 1.2oz

For XDS .45 users, Springfield has finally come out with a six-round magazine.

It is like a full-length of the grip Pierce front extension, but in addition to adding one more round, provides just a bit more palm contact on the rear of the grip (errr, sts...). Completely changes the way I shoot the thing; much more comfortable and much more in control without the death grip because i fear having the thing shift while controlling the .45's recoil in a very light weight pistol in the five-rounder, even with the Pierce extension.

Ordering from the company was in the high $40s including shipping.

Worth it compared to either the existing after-market version which looks terrible or having someone modify a seven-rounder which is even pricier.

• Upvote 1

According to XDTalk, they've been out since around November...

20141121_223012_zps00c921c5.jpg

Note: Not mine.

Honestly, I find I shoot better with the 5-round mag versus the 7-rounder I have. I'd like to shoot a 6-rounder mag if only to see how it compares...

• 3 weeks later...

400px-S%26W4566.jpg

(not my photo)

S&W Model 4566 or Get Your Arm Work-out in while shooting

The S&W Model 4566 is a sub-version of the full-size 1911-equivalent S&W 4506.

The closest I can equate the 4566 is to a Commander-sized 1911 - 4.25 inch barrel on a full-size frame.

Unlike many 2nd and 3rd generation S&Ws, this one is not steel over alloy. This one is all stainless steel.

Thus, it's freakin' heavy as hell. While I wouldn't want to carry this thing (more on that later) for long, that massive steel frame and overall weight makes shooting .45acp a breeze. VERY little recoil/barrel rise, solid as a vault, and a very well machined piece of engineering.

For the carry aspect, mine is a police department surplus (Madison, WI PD, if you must know. Their serial #2, so I assume it was either a front office guy's or one of the first received and not issued to a line cop as there is no wear, not even holster use, evident on this one.). Imagine lugging a 5lb + loaded service pistol on the horse collar that cops wear as a belt. God bless 'em...

Anyway, I've put 300 rounds through this with nary a fault. Decent double-action trigger, really good single action. This is an 8+1 behemoth that will quickly give you Popeye forearms if this was a regular range or competition gun for you.

So, I wouldn't carry it CCW as it is a bit big for some, is way heavy for nearly everyone one, but has been reliable and accurate thus far. Not to mention a last-ditch club if it comes to that.

A good nightstand gun or an addition to one's collection, as it is mine. I like steel more than I do polymer, but the practical aspect kicks in and I get over it.

Finally, it's been a good Sunday. I am typing while drunk, so there's that...

Anyone have a pistol AR?

Nope. But for an extra $200 I have a pistol length gas SBR. 8.5 inch 300 blackout and 10.5 inch 5.56 uppers.

I wish I'd gotten into NFA sooner. It's not as hard as it seems.

What info are you looking for?