Gun Talk

VL-16

Any advice on a .308 semi-auto? I was looking into a Ruger model as well as a Sig ($$). Thanks.

Personally an M14 is my .308 of choice. Another awesome option (but you'll have to wait 6+ months) is Faxon Firearms' ARAK31. Their ARAK21 is the best 5.56 there is IMO, and the .308 will be in the same league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally an M14 is my .308 of choice. Another awesome option (but you'll have to wait 6+ months) is Faxon Firearms' ARAK31. Their ARAK21 is the best 5.56 there is IMO, and the .308 will be in the same league

Looks pretty heavy for a 5.56...I can only imagine that their .308 version would add an extra pound or close to it.

The SCAR17S (.308 semi-auto gets great reviews, though it is a little pricy). Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Desert Tech MDR bullpup in .308 as their other products seem very legit. If it's anything like the Tavor (to bad only availsble in 5.56/9mm) then it will be a hit. I don't mind a little extra weight if it is balanced well.

• 2 weeks later...

I can share this now that I got my order in ( :thumbsup: ), but this is about half of the MSRP on these great shooting pistols; and with .22LR starting to show up again, now would be a good time to grab one!

GSG M1911 HGA .22LR 5'' Woodgrips, $199 shipped after $30 rebate

2678-german-sports-guns-gsg-1911-22lr-pi

I've shot a bud's, and it feels and handles like a standard 1911. GSG claims 80% of the parts are interchangeable with other 1911s. I've been wanting to pick one up for years, and this deal was just too good to pass up. I even went by my LGS and asked if they could match it, and they said they would lose money doing so as this price is below the dealer price.

Cheers! M2

Picked this up on Saturday, took it to the range on Sunday. I am honestly thinking about selling my other .22LR pistols, this things is not only a blast (and easy) to shot; but it's accurate as hell as well! I put 220 rounds through it, had a few ammo-related issues but the gun itself was flawless.

I think the free shipping offer is over, but the rebate is good through the end of the month and even at $250 it's a helluva deal. It doesn't hurt that it is a 1911, always beautiful handguns!

Cheers! M2

I just picked up a Glock 30S for concealed carry. Excellent pistol and its much lighter than the full size 1911 I've been carrying. Perhaps a S&W M&P 15 rifle will be next....

I cannot recommend the S&W M&P 15 enough. I was set on buying a Colt until I saw the M&P.

Any of you guys have experience with quick-access handgun safes? My son is old enough now that loaded guns present obvious problems. However, I want to keep a loaded handgun in the house (bedroom at night primarily) in a locked container, but still have quick access. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on different companies, biometric vs. mech, etc. Just looking for anyone's recommendations/experience with such products. I also plan on putting up some mounts for at least one of the shotguns high enough that my son can't reach them, but my wife and I can.

This is the first time I have the opportunity to keep loaded guns in the house for defense while keeping my kid away from them (been overseas for several years until now). Any advice in this department welcome!

Edited by brabus

I have a 10 month old at my house. When he started crawling I bought a GunVault mini with the standard 4 finger combo. You can program whatever combination you want - kind of like a cipher lock. You're choices aren't 1,2,3 or 4 - you can do 1+4, 2, 3. With that I figured the odds of the kid accidentally mashing the buttons in the right order was zero. I'm a little skeptical of the biometrics stuff - I'm sure it works fine, but to me it seemed like one of those things that would only fail when you need it to work.

Bottom line: it'll keep the baby out, it's a little bulky, but I just have it sitting on my nightstand. I'm happy with mine.

How long have you guys had yours? I've read several reviews about the batteries just failing with no warning (despite the claimed low batt warning), leaving the key as the only entry method until batteries are replaced - something you certainly don't want when it counts. That's one of the things that makes me think something mechanical (ala cipher lock style) would be better. Thoughts?

Another vote for GunVault.

I splurge and use lithium batteries, and replace them every Daylight Savings day (along with the smoke detector batteries). A couple bucks extra for good batteries, replaced frequently, is IMO cheap insurance for something this critical.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure the BAR is mostly chambered in 30-06.

Regardless, what you NEED is either an M1A or an FAL.

Agreed.

If you shoot reloads though the M1As tend to be a little bit nicer to the brass. At least that's what I've seen out of my DSA FAL... It likes to mangle the hell out of brass. HK91 pattern rifles are even worse for it.

2nd the SCAR. I have a 17S and thinking about a 16S SBR. Love shooting the 17!

These days with bullpups and the new 'SB15 Pistol Stabilizing Brace' from Sig, I don't know why most people would go through the hassle in getting a SBR. Don't get me wrong, I'd also like to have one, but not at the expense of getting/keeping an NFA registered item and needing permission just to take it out of State...plus selling it is also more of a hassle. It's not even the stupid $200 tax stamp (I know it's the same price as it was in 1934), it's the rest of the nonsense (especially the registration) that I just laid out that keeps me from doing it, especially when there is, IMHO, 'somewhat' reasonable alternatives. Just my $.02.

I'm definitely interested in SCAR17S...haven't been able to shoot one yet, but hopefully one day soon!

post-2274-0-82609600-1405192312_thumb.jp

Just curious HeloDude...how is the top one a pistol? Looks like it has a buttstock to me. What am I missing?

Negative man. It's a pistol stabilizing brace...one I mentioned above. Goes to my point of the SBR becoming less and less relevant.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2014/04/04/atf-response-firing-ar-15-pistols-shoulder-sig-pistol-brace/

ETA: Nunya beat me by a couple minutes, sorry to be repetitive.

Edited by HeloDude