Gun Talk

VL-16

I recently got the Masterpiece Arms MPAR556 and really love it

IMG_5039.jpg

Here is the link to the review I posted on AR15...if you guys want me to post it on here just let me know. It's pretty lengthy (STS) so I figured I'd just link it before posting a book

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/645460_Masterpiece_Arms_MPAR556_Review.html

Looks like it was made in someone's garage. I especially like the Chinese screws in the side of the receiver. And the Chinese scope. Should be good for stopping the Mexican invasion. Edited by Beaver

Thoughts: The two M4's he has are set up pretty oddly IMO. Maybe it's because they are dated but having an ACOG and an offset T-1 is pretty weird when you can have an RMR ontop of the ACOG.

Maybe not so weird. Generally the same way Miculek runs his - must be something to it. Cheek weld and all that.

Jerry2-6-8L.jpg

That's a good point...I'm more used to seeing the RMR on top. Definitely looks like the 3 Gun style has moved over into into the operator world.

I agree with Nunya...I think it has to do with keeping a proper cheek weld. I have played around with an ACOG/RMR combo and it would definitely take some getting used to in terms of adjusting your head posistion when going from one to another.

By the way, when did Trijicon release the RMR? A few minutes of google searches didn't help me out.

Got it.

Reason I asked is because (as stoleit points out), they are used in the movie 'Lone Survivor' in which the true story took place in 2005 (yes, I realize it was a movie based off the book...but I wondered how much was accurate when I saw the movie in the theaters).

I'm still waiting to try out the VCOG.

I don't come here to often any more and when I do I lurk but figured I had to show off my new baby and it's older sibling:

vIx3TbL.jpg?1

5IgfD1x.jpg?1

yLl1uPF.jpg?1

fdMM8y9.jpg?1

The lowers are pretty much the same:

AXTS Weapons

SSA trigger

BADASS 45 degree safety

SLAP plate

Magpul CTR and MIAD grip

SBR:

Vltor Mur1A upper

Raptor CH

BCM BCG

Seekins MSVR 2 keymod rail

BCM 11.5 standard barrel

Gemtek Trek

Aimpoint H1

Magpul MBUS

It's older sibling is becoming a competition/3 Gun rifle and still needs a newer longer barrel but it is a BCM 16" middy with a VTAC alpha rail, Burris MTAC w/ a Warne Skel mount.

Need to get out and zero everything.

That is all...

:flag_waving:

• Upvote 2

Maybe not so weird. Generally the same way Miculek runs his - must be something to it. Cheek weld and all that.

Jerry2-6-8L.jpg

That's a good point...I'm more used to seeing the RMR on top. Definitely looks like the 3 Gun style has moved over into into the operator world.

Axe-with-Mk12.jpg

(still from Lone Survivor)

Has to do with the height over bore axis. Offset keeps it lower for closer shots where you would otherwise have to compensate a different hold. The offset is much faster.

Many of the SO/SF community are doing this nowadays with a T1 or RMR.

Edited by yerfer

Got it.

Reason I asked is because (as stoleit points out), they are used in the movie 'Lone Survivor' in which the true story took place in 2005 (yes, I realize it was a movie based off the book...but I wondered how much was accurate when I saw the movie in the theaters).

I'm still waiting to try out the VCOG.

That's a Burris FastFire II. According to what I've seen and read, it was only added for the movie. I don't think guys were running reflex dots stacked at 12 or offset at 11 or 1 back then. From the images of the team they appeared to be using Aimpoint patrol, ACOG and something that is 1-8 power.

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the IWI Tavor? Purpose would be range fun and maybe a class.

I've read/watched quite a few reviews on them in the last year and they seem to be awesome for what they are (the select fire version also seems to woke well for the IDF). I've handled them at gun shows and I like the balance/feel to them. The only negative thing I've seen with the firearm is the trigger...but companies are already selling aftermarket drop-in triggers that seem to be a big improvement. Also, IIRC, people are getting about 2-2.5 MOA, but that should be sufficient for what it was designed to do.

I've been considering one, especially since the price has come down a few hundred...what I would really want is one in .308, since the Kel Tec RFB seems to be crap. I suggest you buy the Tavor and let us know what you think!

• Upvote 1

I've read/watched quite a few reviews on them in the last year and they seem to be awesome for what they are (the select fire version also seems to woke well for the IDF). I've handled them at gun shows and I like the balance/feel to them. The only negative thing I've seen with the firearm is the trigger...but companies are already selling aftermarket drop-in triggers that seem to be a big improvement. Also, IIRC, people are getting about 2-2.5 MOA, but that should be sufficient for what it was designed to do.

I've been considering one, especially since the price has come down a few hundred...what I would really want is one in .308, since the Kel Tec RFB seems to be crap. I suggest you buy the Tavor and let us know what you think!

I might execute your suggestion now that I'm seeing prices in the 1650$ range! The fit/finish seem nice and the mag change isn't as awkward as I thought it would be; but my impressions come from handling not actually shooting.

• Upvote 1

I might execute your suggestion now that I'm seeing prices in the 1650$ range! The fit/finish seem nice and the mag change isn't as awkward as I thought it would be; but my impressions come from handling not actually shooting.

Going with the FDE option?

I can share this now that I got my order in ( :thumbsup: ), but this is about half of the MSRP on these great shooting pistols; and with .22LR starting to show up again, now would be a good time to grab one!

GSG M1911 HGA .22LR 5'' Woodgrips, $199 shipped after $30 rebate

2678-german-sports-guns-gsg-1911-22lr-pi

I've shot a bud's, and it feels and handles like a standard 1911. GSG claims 80% of the parts are interchangeable with other 1911s. I've been wanting to pick one up for years, and this deal was just too good to pass up. I even went by my LGS and asked if they could match it, and they said they would lose money doing so as this price is below the dealer price.

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 2

More old school semi-auto nonsense:

S&W Model 69 (that's right, they said it)06:

For whatever reason, I have developed a liking for Smith & Wesson older semi-autos. While I have full-size M&Ps in 9mm (nightstand gun) and .45, and a M&P9c (trying to get wife to use this instead of .38), they do nothing for me. They are utterly reliable, functional tools. But there is no character to them.

The second (Model 439) and third (Model 3913NL) generation guns I've acquired fairly recently (and posted about in this thread) do have that certain 'something.'

Yesterday, I found and impulsed-bought another third generation S&W, the Model 6906. It is a double stack version of the 3913. With the exception of a fatter grip to hold the 12 vice 8 rounds of 9mm, this and the 3913 are identical. Like the skinner version, the pinky extension on the magazine is necessary for me for a full grip.

Some specs on this one:

Weight: 25.6 oz (unloaded)

Length: just shy of 7"

Took the new to me 6906 to the range this morning and put 100 rounds of 115gr. FMJ and it ran flawlessly.

It also was just dead accurate. I shot everything at only 7 yards. I was pleasantly surprised by the sights being absolutely centered. The trigger pull in double action is stout; it's not going to go off accidentally. You will have to apply sustained pressure to make it operate. But it wasn't horrible like the Model 642 .38 mentioned above, or the Walther PPK/S.

The single action trigger pull is crisp and light. No slack, no travel, smooth in fact.

Like the 3913, the hammer on this bobbed, so it has to be carried in double action mode. You could rack the slide and carry it with the hammer back, but the safety is also a decocker so it lowers the hammer.

This 6906 is a bit thicker at the grip to hold the additional rounds, but it is not that much more than a single stack anything else - 1911, SiG, etc. Honestly, it isn't quite as thin or comfortable to carry IWB or even to shoot as the 3913 which has become my favorite. At least for now.

But for a daily carry gun, it would definitely work well. You gain four more rounds for a fraction of an inch in girth. Standard dilemma for a carry gun - bulk vs. capacity.

So, I didn't need this gun. Will have to tap dance a bit when the bill hits and CinCSpouse sees the damage, but I'm not sorry I bought it. ("But honey, it's more practical than hookers and blow...") Fun little semi to shoot. Would happily carry it once I've put several hundred more rounds through it personally. It might become her carry gun once she shoots it. That is TBD.

I guess an old guy is returning to the old ways. I like this better than I do the polymer guns. I have those. I carry one of those - XDS - but they are boring. This one is not.

Photo is not mine nor is it of my pistol.

post-1654-0-55012500-1402520113_thumb.jp

Edited by brickhistory