Gun Talk

VL-16

Sorry that I'm a little late on the response. You list some great choices, but my reason for being so interested in VCOG is the robustness and durability of Trijicon's products and that it will (hopefully) be extended to their variable low powered scopes. I'm far from an optics expert, but I'm not familiar with any of the products you listed (such as the Leupold 1-6) that can take as much of a beating as the Trijicon when it comes to magnified optics. Having family members in Army combat MOS's and some good friends in various ground SOF roles, they all have told me their opinions on the Trijicon in terms of a 'tactical' accessory (for me it would be more 'tacticool' haha) and how it can be tossed around with little to no problems. Thoughts?

Oh, and I registered for the Fed/mil discount with Leupold, and like the others have said, damn those discounts are pretty sweet! I'll definitely be making a purchase soon!

It's true. Trijicon will take the beating but so will the others I've mentioned. I don't know if the MARSOC guys are still using the Nightforce 1-6 and 1-8 set-ups but they are bomb proof and the glass is high quality. Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender are gonna set you back though (as you probably already know).

Considering the MIL discount, the Leupold stuff is also robust and I think you'd be happy with it. What do you plan to do with it if you don't mind me asking? 3 Gun? Hunting? Classes?

Another option is the Vortex Razor HD II. It's really popular and Vortex has unmatched customer support and warranty. The only downside is the reticle is a bit thick and starts to cover more target at 250 and deeper than I care for. Then again, you can easily get stellar accuracy from a T1 or EXPS2-0 out to 400 with a solid zero, good ammo and that's 223.

If it was me, I'd get something from US Optics. They're killing it right now.

What's everyone's take on getting a 5.45x39 upper for an AR to take advantage of the availability and low price of the 5.45x39. Next to non-priced gouged 22lr, seems to be the cheapest stuff around to shoot.

http://www.usacsales.com/ammunition/545x39-ammo-can

That is a pretty good deal...

If you're dead set on 5.45x39 check out Blackforge. He knows his stuff and doesn't price gouge.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with Ruger's SR-762? The few reviews I've read have a bunch of good things to say about it.

I've been researching semi-auto .308 battle rifles and on the surface $1600 (street price) seems to be one of the best values out there for a piston .308 (especially considering that I initially had my sights on a SCAR heavy).

If you have any good or bad stuff to say about Ruger's offering, I'd like to hear it.

-9-

Check out http://www.sundevilmfg.com/ . My girlfriend has one of their builds and its held up well so far. Tolerances are tighter than the Ruger and they're also lighter.

308%20001.jpg

Edited by yerfer

FYI for any you that purchased AR-15 parts from Ares Armor.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/03/12/gun-store-owner-halts-federal-raid/

OCEANSIDE, Calif. The owner of an Oceanside store that sells various gun parts to build a rifle from scratch refused to turn over his customer list to federal agents.

Dimitrios Karras, owner of Ares Armor, said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents were investigating their business, not for what they sell, but for the people who purchase their products.

Karras said the ATF threatened to shutter their business if they didnt hand over the names of 5,000 customers who have purchased an 80 percent lower receiver (the base) for building an AR-15.

ETA: According to several websites, the ATF just raided their offices, despite a restraining order prohibiting them from doing so.

Edited by Fuzz

So I'm helping move my stepdad's parents out of their house and into an assisted living facility earlier today. My stepdad is telling me about some tools in the basement I might be interested in, and then in a low tone drops a bombshell:

"Oh, by the way... my shotgun is upstairs if you want to take it home. It's a 12ga Ithaca."

I've known this man for 34 of my 40 years. Not once do I ever recall him mentioning he owns (or owned) a shotgun, so you can imagine my surprise.

It wasn't an Ithaca. It's a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12ga, 2 3/4" chamber, 28" barrel, 1968-69 production per the serial number on the receiver and letter codes on the barrel. Blued receiver in excellent condition, wood in excellent condition; not a fingerprint or speck of rust on the entire gun. Looking at the action rods you can tell it's been used, but aside from that it looks like it just came out of the original packaging.

post-1564-0-85047600-1394945806_thumb.jp

post-1564-0-99692700-1394945817_thumb.jp

post-1564-0-81964400-1394945834_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

For those of you that like the Beretta and like to buy customized handguns, Wilson Combat has just released a line of replacement parts as well as offers custom Beretta work. I think I may install one of those low profile single side safeties... or just send one of my Berettas in for some of their custom work.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/custom-beretta.asp

Interesting development out of CA...

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25428957/state-sen-leland-yee-indicted-arms-trafficking-corruption

Sen Leland Yee, one of the state's most anti-gun politicians, arrested by the FBI for corruption and arms trafficking. Can't say I am surprised, but it might be sweet poetic justice for once. Third state politician this year!

Well, being accused of trafficking automatic weapons and missiles from Islamic groups in the Pacific is kind of a big deal!

Getting rid of an anti-rights politician and guy who is trying to bring missile launchers into the US sounds like 2 wins for the price of 1.

• Upvote 2

For any of you looking for great target ammo, Freedom Munitions is offering free shipping this weekend (4-6 April). It goes pretty quick! I've put a few thousand rounds of their 9 mm and .223 through my guns and have yet to have a misfire... Their reman (once fired) is a great deal. 3% military discount too.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

M2 have you looked at Atlantic's new AK imports, the BAK 132 and BAX 132? I've been wanting an AK for a while but prices have significantly lagged the AR decline.

Sounds like Atlantic is trying to compete with Arsenal in Vegas! I haven't checked into these, but I'll do so and let you know what I find; but at that price I would almost just get a Saiga converted by Arsenal as it looks to be essentially the same rifle. Not that I don't trust Atlantic, they have a great reputation; but my Arsenal kicks ass and would be my 'go-to' AK if necessary...

Based on this AK Files thread, it looks like Atlantic is trying to push a cheaper alternative to Arsenal Vegas' converted Saigas ("Yes these are converted Saiga rifles they are not designed to compete with Arsenals. We wanted to offer a few middle of the road options for our customers").

And based on this one review, they're on target in that regard...

I bought one of these rifles. Awesome rifle, works perfect. I put a Magpul AK grip on it, fits perfect, changed stock to AR style w/ARstyle buffer tube, old stock had rivet in bottom holding it in which I had to remove to get stock off, but otherwise it was a normal removal and perfect install using Rifle Dynamics kit. It came w one 30rd mag. Paint on this rifle is like a satin. Looks gloss in pics but they are full of oil. Paint does SUCK, like a quick spray paint job, it looks good and even but if you look at it , the paint scratches very easy. All parts and pieces on rifle have matching numbers. Operates smooth and perfect. Sights dead on at 50yards , I did not adjust them at all. Dead on. Atlantic firearms is great. Ordered Tuesday morning and I had it Wednesday afternoon. Great company!! Great rifle, paint is no biggie, it operates great. It's an ak

The finish on some Saigas have had issues in the past as well, although I've never had any problems with mine.

My opinion? These may be "adequate" but I would save a couple of hundred more dollars and get something better.

Cheers! M2

For any of you looking for great target ammo, Freedom Munitions is offering free shipping this weekend (4-6 April). It goes pretty quick! I've put a few thousand rounds of their 9 mm and .223 through my guns and have yet to have a misfire... Their reman (once fired) is a great deal. 3% military discount too.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/

It sure takes them a while to process an order. I placed the order Sunday evening and it still shows "Processing" despite the items being in stock at the time of ordering.

It sure takes them a while to process an order. I placed the order Sunday evening and it still shows "Processing" despite the items being in stock at the time of ordering.

I placed my order on Friday night (4th) and it processed/shipped Monday (7th)... UPS tracking says it will arrive on Monday (14th) to the East coast. They ship it UPS ground so it isn't lightning fast, but for free I'll take it. I'm guessing with the free shipping weekend they are swamped getting all the orders out.

I placed my order on Friday night (4th) and it processed/shipped Monday (7th)... UPS tracking says it will arrive on Monday (14th) to the East coast. They ship it UPS ground so it isn't lightning fast, but for free I'll take it. I'm guessing with the free shipping weekend they are swamped getting all the orders out.

It's been 9 days now and my orders still show processing. I sent them an e-mail but received no response today.

M3913LS_SW108290.jpg

(Note: not my photo or gun)

New (to me) Old School Smith & Wesson 9mm, Model 3913NL

I recently found and fell in serious like with the S&W Model 3913 Ladysmith and NL versions of this single stack, all metal 9mm semi-auto.

I picked one up off an internet arms trading site, kinda like a gun'broker,' paid too much, and there ya go, it was mine.

The 3913 is a third generation S&W semi-auto. One meaning of that is that they were manufactured in the 1990s. The 3913 began in 1990 and the TSW version ended around 1999 (internet data, so no guarentees to accuracy).

The Ladysmith was a nicer version with a little more styling like the raked underbody and some checkering on the front of the trigger guard and grip. So nice that it became a hot seller with customers buying them up at full price. Even today, a good Ladysmith version is pretty pricey.

One complaint according to urban legend is that real men didn't want something with Ladysmith on it so S&W came up with the NL version which is the exact same model without the engraved word on the slide.

By luck, my sight unseen 3913 turns out to be the NL version so I'm not as outraged at the price I paid.

Aesthetically, my only complaint is the very late 1980s look of white on white on white as the photo illustrates. I have some black Hogue grips on order to offer some contrast as well as being a bit softer than the old, original hard plastic/rubber grips that are stock. I might even hang some nice wood grips on it as well. This is a very good looking gun.

It is a DA/SA, 8+1 9mm. The hammer is cut even with the back of the slide so the first round has to be in DA; a condition 1 1911-style carry is not an option. If you select the safety/decocker (only on one side for the Ladysmith/NL versions), the hammer moves forward. DA pull is stiff, but not unreasonably so. Follow-up SA pulls are classic S&W. Smooth, fairly light, and crisp.

The slide is stainless steel, the frame is aluminum. My loaded XDs .45 weighs in at 1.6lbs on the home scale with 5+1 rounds. This with 8+1 of 9mm at 1.9lbs. Age old trade-off of capacity vs. size hole created.

Relative sizes to the XDs are nearly identical. The 3913 is just a fraction longer. The length from top of slide to bottom of magazine is pretty equal and the longer grip of the 3913 fills better in the palm than the short-ish XDs (I have the Pierce pinky extension on XDs, but it is still a tad short in the back for really comfortable shooting.) Width, save for the safety/decocker, is identical and the additional width on the one side is not noticable in my IWB.

I've only had one range session so it's not my new CCW piece yet, but 150 rounds of 115gr. FMJ went through flawlessly. Recoil was very light, the Novak three-dot sights are easy to see for my old eyes, and the gun feels very natural in the hand. One reason I am getting more and more on the older S&W semi-auto bandwagon is the grip angle and feel. It is very 1911 which is my favorite, but in 9mm it is much less frisky to shoot for me.

Me like very much.

Edited by brickhistory
  • Upvote 1

Big Girls Try Harder...

Around the first of April while checking out the small, but adequate gun counter at the Offutt BX, I found among the standard Glocks, SIGs, Rugers, etc, this beauty:

31213-DEFAULT-L.jpg

(not my photo)

which is a Kahr T9, a beautiful all stainless steel with attractive checkered wood grips. It is an 8+1 9mm that is less than inch wide (not counting the grips which make it just a shade over 1"), four inch barrel that just felt right.

Did I mention that I thought it was really attractive?

So I bought it for full MSRP of $800 +, abided by the stupid DoD rules of having to exit the base immediately and never shall I carry it again on base, etc, etc, etc because obviously I can't be trusted.

Took it home in the case with the second magazine, paperwork, lock, etc. Took it apart, cleaned the gunk, and was all set to be happy with the new pretty toy.

And then the trigger personality showed up. Scoring high on the hot axis and equally so on the psycho one, the DAO trigger pull was so looooooong that I felt I had to start taking the slack up before I even got inside the range.

After less than one box of 115gr. FMJ, I hated this gun. Like a date from hell, I was eyeing the nearest exits and looking for a cab. I hated that gun despite its looks.

So I did the manly thing and traded it for something I would like.

109306_01_lg.jpg

(not my photo or gun)

The full-size Smith & Wesson M&P 45.

This new 10+1 behemoth of a polymer full-size pistol is now mine after dumping the Kahr. I took a small beating financially but the lesson learned as well as having a pistol that I actually want to shoot is kinda worth it.

When I first bought my M&P9 some years back, my initial review was somewhat lackluster. I updated it later with glowing terms due to the utter reliability, ergonomics, and magazine capacity. I then wanted it in .45 but never got around to it until the Kahr disaster and an easy way to dispose of the pretty body and get the big girl with the heart of gold.

Took the .45 to the range this morning. 150 rounds of 230gr. FMJ went downrange without a hiccup.

The barrel is 4.5", full length is just shy of 8", the width is 1.2"ish, and the empty weight is almost two pounds. Load up 11 rounds and its a hefty handful.

The three dot sights are large and easily picked up. The recoil is very manageable due to the sheer size and mass of the gun. Concealed carry would be sporty and I'm sure some folks manage it, but to me this a duty weapon or nightstand gun, not a daily carry.

But I would if open carry it if didn't cause heart attacks among the sheeple.

Other than the monetary loss due to stupidity on my part, I'm pleased with this M&P. It is now my third one - M&P9 as noted above, and an M&P9c which I also like.

I am very content with this gun especially compared to the supermodel squirrelly POS it replaced.

It's been 9 days now and my orders still show processing. I sent them an e-mail but received no response today.

Well I certainly can't recommend Freedomammunitions.com at this point. I'm at the 21 day point and the order still shows processing. They responded to the e-mail saying that due to a high volume of orders, their processing takes 7-14 days, but I'm well outside that window.

What state are you in Brick? Open carry is pretty much a non event in AZ.

If he's buying handguns at the Offutt BX, then he's in Nebraska.

I think the M&P is a much smarter choice for a personal firearm, but I would still take a Springfield XD over one. The S&Ws are replacing a lot of Glocks with police departments, but from what I heard in the SAPD was that the XD was rated over the M&P during the competition for a replacement service weapon; but S&W offered the department such a great deal on their pistols (plus the fact that they provide the ARs the department uses), they made the more economical choice.

Still, I have no problems with the M&P line and many people love them. I am just very partial towards the XD as the ones I have owned have been amazingly accurate and reliable.

Cheers! M2