Gun Talk

VL-16

Aw, hell...

Just to note the XDSpistol.com and Springfieldrecall.com websites don't seem to be working correctly. Call Springfield with your serial number to confirm whether your pistol is affected by this or not...

Dumb question to follow. I've never had to ship a pistol. Any ideas on the correct way to bring it up to FedEx? Should I put it in the case or just bring the pistol? Do they have a box and packaging for such things? I've tried calling Springfield but their phone lines are consistently busy these days. Thanks.

Dumb question to follow. I've never had to ship a pistol. Any ideas on the correct way to bring it up to FedEx? Should I put it in the case or just bring the pistol? Do they have a box and packaging for such things? I've tried calling Springfield but their phone lines are consistently busy these days. Thanks.

It is legal to ship a firearm through FedEx and UPS. There is no specific packaging required, but I would ensure that the pistol is protected from damage using bubble wrap or popcorn. You can ship it back in its case, but the case will have to be placed in a box. If you decide to let them know there is a pistol in the box, they may ask you if you are shipping it to an FFL, which you are. Realize that many, if not most, of FedEx's and UPS' retail stores will not accept a firearm. You will have to typically bring it to their service/shipping centers. These places are where packages get sorted and distributed out for delivery. You can look up the service centers in your area and bring the package there. I've shipped firearms backed to manufacturers and to gunsmiths using UPS with no issues. FedEx should be the same.

I'm assuming you already got a shipping label from SA?

• Upvote 1

Don't ask why, but I picked up one of these for a hundred bucks today...

KSAChipmunkpistol3.jpg

The front fiber optic sight was missing, but I quickly fixed that. The bore needed cleaning but it is a 2009 production pistol that's been unfired since bought, so it's still nice and shiny.

Won't be able to get down to the coast this weekend, so it may be a week or so before this one ends up in the Gulf of Mexico...

Cheers! M2

Got it to the range this morning, was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot! Sure, loading every round and having to manually cock it (STS) is a pain; but it's a accurate shooter! Plus, shooting three bucks of .22LR is a lot easier on the wallet than $23 worth of 7.62x39 (three mags).

Keystone sells a scope mount for it, I might considering putting a cheap TASCO or BSA one on it.

I also have some .22 CB rounds that should work in it, they are low muzzle velocity (between 350-700 ft/s, about the same as a pellet gun) but the actual bullet is significantly heavier than a typical airgun pellet and therefore carries more energy, so they are more lethal!

They also have almost no report, so I could actually use 'em in the back yard without anyone knowing! It'd be a good way to get rid of that fucking cat that keeps pissing in our hedge!

Cheers! M2

To change the line a little bit:

stephen-irish.jpg

"Da good Lord says you'll be fine, but I'm fooked..."

My XDS is in the heart of their recall range.

Not amused.

More info from XDTalk (emphasis mine)...

Guy I know of has a family member who works at Springfield and here is what he told me "They are hiring 20+ people to be doing this full time. That's why people are having problems getting through right now. This came about in less than a week. There wasn't actually a problem they could duplicate, just rumors of one. So after the shield recall they aren't messing around.

Anyone whose done their own trigger kit could probably swap out the parts for this recall in under 20 min. If it weren't a liability issue, SA could mail the parts for you to you yourself, but since it IS a Recall and a Liability issue, they said they won't just send the parts (several members have already called and asked).

I'm still waiting for all the hubbub to die down before sending mine in, and I will continue shooting/carrying it. I've loaded that thing enough that if there was really a problem, I'd know it by now...

Anybody here shoot high power or have an interest in the old M1, M1 Caribine, and M14 platforms?

I am a fan. I have yet to shoot high power, but would if the opportunity comes up.

Yes, I shoot reduced course matches twice a month at local ranges. Occasionally make it down to the Sac Valley Shooting Center to shoot the full course (200/300/600 yds) or long range prone. Started my last year at the Zoo in order to qualify for a CMP M1, took a several year break, then started again when I moved to Beale in '09.

Two main types: NRA and CMP. With the NRA you can do Service Rifle or Match Rifle. With CMP it is all Service Rifle type events, but that has started to include more "vintage" style matches. Just kind of depends what you want to do and what is available in your local area.

Truthfully, it can be a challenging discipline to shoot and doesn't offer the excitement of the action shooting events that are popular these days. It tests how well you can master the fundamentals of rifle shooting. I can say that it has greatly improved my shooting skill and confidence overall. It does require a little bit of dedication and study to learn the positions and how to shoot in a match. I think a lot of people these days are intimidated by the structure and the appearance of needing a lot of gear. In reality, you really just need an aaccurate rifle, decent sling, magazines, and good ammo. Cheaper than getting heavily involed with 3 gun, Trap, or long range sniper type stuff generally. Go watch a match or find clinic in your area to attend.

If you don't already own a qualifying rifle, I would hands down recommend an AR type. The requirements for a Service Rifle pretty much call for a M16A2/A4 type. By far, this is the most accurate, affordable, and easiest to shoot combination out there. M1/M14 types are tempting (and fun), but are more expensive to shoot and make accurate. By all means, shoot a M1 and surplus Ball ammo starting out, but you will quickly learn its limits. Especially now that M2 ball and other surplus .30-06 is not that cheap anymore. A decent AR (with good sights, match barrel, and float tube) can be had used for under 1k.

Register and read up at the National Match forums. Lots of good advice and other shooters to answer your questions (including some national champ types).

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

PM me if you would like to know more. Keep it in the black!

Edited by Shaft34

More info from XDTalk (emphasis mine)...

I'm still waiting for all the hubbub to die down before sending mine in, and I will continue shooting/carrying it. I've loaded that thing enough that if there was really a problem, I'd know it by now...

Yep. Better'n 1,000 rounds through mine. Confident enough to keep it my EDC. May/may not get around to this 'maybe' issue.

Thanks for the update.

Jerry Miculek performing a Bill Drill with a Barrett .50 BMG rifle.

For those of you don't know who Jerry Miculek is, he is an accomplished competition shooter well known for his speed and accuracy with many different types of firearms but particularly with revolvers. He holds the world record for shooting a revolver at speed... 12 shots including a reload in 2.99 seconds. There are several videos floating on youtube of his shooting abilities.

Wow, good on Colorado for reversing a pretty negative trend towards being good stewards of liberty and gun rights. Looks like two congress people got the boot over there idiotic gun control votes. Hopefully this sends a message. This gives me a little bit of hope. Just a little.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/10/colorado-recall-election-results/2796373/

• Upvote 2

Wow, good on Colorado for reversing a pretty negative trend towards being good stewards of liberty and gun rights. Looks like two congress people got the boot over there idiotic gun control votes. Hopefully this sends a message. This gives me a little bit of hope. Just a little.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/10/colorado-recall-election-results/2796373/

I'd really like to see the damn law overturned though.

I pcs there in 4 months and after 3 years not having my guns I don't want to leave the fun ones because of some bullshit 15 round limit.

I'd really like to see the damn law overturned though.

I pcs there in 4 months and after 3 years not having my guns I don't want to leave the fun ones because of some bullshit 15 round limit.

I concur. A step in the right direction is so much better than another step in the wrong direction. I grew up in Northern California, I know how screwed up this can end up. I would hate to see all of the beautiful places go to shame following Marxist ideals. The foothills in North Cal would be my idea of paradise, except for everything California! I thought maybe Colorado was a place I could go to; recent trends made me think otherwise. I'm going to Idaho or Wyoming- my guns and views are welcome there.

• Upvote 2

You may want to look at the law carefully, some stuff is grandfathered if it was used and isn't new. The definition of new is like Clinton's definition of "is," nebulous; so you may still be able to bring in your fun weapons - if you were to own any such weapons in the first place. Colorado doesn't seem to understand that it could easily lose close to a third of its economy if it doesn't make nice with the military currently in the state. Many of us live here by choice and are not in any way shape or form emotionally attached to the scenery and if they make it too uncomfortable for us, we will move (and take our money with us).

You may want to look at the law carefully, some stuff is grandfathered if it was used and isn't new. The definition of new is like Clinton's definition of "is," nebulous; so you may still be able to bring in your fun weapons - if you were to own any such weapons in the first place. Colorado doesn't seem to understand that it could easily lose close to a third of its economy if it doesn't make nice with the military currently in the state. Many of us live here by choice and are not in any way shape or form emotionally attached to the scenery and if they make it too uncomfortable for us, we will move (and take our money with us).

That's unfortunately my problem. If there was a clear delineation of when you can and can't bring a 30 round mag into state lines e it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately when you read those isolated but very painfully stupid articles about somebody entering a state and suddenly finding themselves facing a felony charges because of interpretation by a prosecutor or the local county sheriff.... I just don't want to be that guy.

There will be a date on when I came into state and when my property came with me so it's a bit harder to play stupid/coy about it.

Another blow to freedom in CA today!

The State Senate Passed SB 374, an additional "assault weapon" ban. Essentially, all firearms meeting their definition will need to be registered or disposed of. No further purchases allowed and cannot be passed down to children. Furthers the impact of the previously passed bans which named specific firearms and features. The "bullet button" type device is no longer sufficient.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billVotesClient.xhtml

Still needs to be signed or vetoed by Gov. Brown. Most certainly will be challeneged in court if signed. Will have legal ramifications (either good or bad) for other states attempting to impose or that have already imposed such bans.

As I have said before, I cannot feel sorry for anybody who cherishes their Gun Rights and limited government, but yet at the same time voluntarily choses to remain in a liberal State like CA, MD, NY...and coming soon to a theater near you, CO as well. Have you all not been paying attention to what's been going on in the last 20+ years?? It will not get any better, and more than likely will get much worse as the left grows their base which then includes more and more people on the government dole. Throw is amnesty for the illegals and the left's 'transformation' will be near complete as they will be nearly unstoppable to beat at the polls.

Many of us live here by choice and are not in any way shape or form emotionally attached to the scenery and if they make it too uncomfortable for us, we will move (and take our money with us).

Question: When does it become 'too uncomfortable'? The legislators have already made things worse for you but yet you and others continue to stay (for those of you living there by choice). Your Senators are supporting stricter gun laws in the Senate and amnesty for illegals--how much longer are you guys willing to stay?

As I have said before, I cannot feel sorry for anybody who cherishes their Gun Rights and limited government, but yet at the same time voluntarily choses to remain in a liberal State like CA, MD, NY...and coming soon to a theater near you, CO as well. Have you all not been paying attention to what's been going on in the last 20+ years?? It will not get any better, and more than likely will get much worse as the left grows their base which then includes more and more people on the government dole. Throw is amnesty for the illegals and the left's 'transformation' will be near complete as they will be nearly unstoppable to beat at the polls.

Question: When does it become 'too uncomfortable'? The legislators have already made things worse for you but yet you and others continue to stay (for those of you living there by choice). Your Senators are supporting stricter gun laws in the Senate and amnesty for illegals--how much longer are you guys willing to stay?

Exactly! Sadly, the statist mindset of "big government can fix all of my problems" that dominates these progressive states is rapidly migrating across the country. Honestly, I only hope that the liberty grabbing statists continue or escalate their power grabs. At least in this manner, it is undeniable and will force red blooded Americans to react. Half of the country wouldn't know it if Stalin was in power (nor would they care as long as the check came). The other half needs to be passionately pissed off as these statist attempt to dominate their birthright; this land and our god given liberties was paid for with the blood of our forefathers and they are not negotiable just because some liberal pusssies feel unsafe.

If you live in CA, how much are you willing to take? Don't mind asking the state if a BBQ is OK to light today? What about the state being able to restrict and monitor your electricity usage? Is it fun to be regulated on every single aspect of your life? Is it fun being the social outcast if you are a white male family guy that believes in his country and family values? Now we're further restricting your gun rights because it has been ops tested in Chicago with great success. By 2020, you won't even know what the 2nd Amendment is in CA, MD, NY, etc. When is enough?