Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest CannonCrashPad

I can't stand Alex Jones, but the assertion that an Alex Jones type might cause big trouble... Can you clarify what you meant by it Fuzz?

And yeah, those who want to get rid of our right to bear arms are not gone. It's not going away by a long shot. And here is a clue: they don't give two ######s about the Constitution, and they are everywhere on both sides of the political spectrum.

As to the politics, I don't know if it's a good move. I don't do politics. Adam what's his name has some good stuff, and some bad stuff, but he has issued instructions for people to peacefully be arrested and not resist should they attend. Who knows what might happen, but if something does happen, I personally would not be blaming somebody angry at the government for it. There will be a billion video cameras during the event, so people will know what happened or did not happen.

I say good on em. American. Give the fascists hell.

I said tin foil hat person, aka. someone slightly off his rocker. And I understand the instructions are to be peaceful, but it only takes one.

I know these people don't give two shits about the constitution but their efforts are failing, IMHO this isn't the time for this, its not needed at this point, we are making progress through our constituionally set forth channels right now (I.e. the legislatures), is it anywhere near enough ? Hell no, but we aren't loosing anymore rights and people aren't knocking on our doors in the middle of the night...yet. When that time comes march, and don't back down, I just don't see the need for this and I see it backfiring and undoing all the progress we made over the last couple months.

Don't want to jinx it for myself or get anyone's hopes up, but a bulk ammo site I use a lot - Georgia Arms - finally changed their home page from "We're out, don't know when we'll have more" to "Call us to order up to 500 rounds per caliber."

So I did last week for some .380. Lady did the standard "could be up to 1-3 months" but I got a UPS shipping notification today that it's on the way.

A break in the ammo drought?

You have to love hearing what the liberals truly believe when they're caught off guard with an unknown open-mic. Anybody who doesn't believe that confiscation (similar to that of most European countries, Australia, etc) is the true goal of the liberals is either fooling themselves or is on the same team as these guys.

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-mike-reveals-n-j-senators-contempt-for-gun-owners-confiscation-goal

Anybody seen this yet or had the chance to operate it? At $22,000 a pop, all I need to do is sell my truck and pick up an extra job for a few months, and it'll be MINE!

ETA: Pretty sure Predator got his hands on the shoulder-mounted v2.0.

Edited by tankass

Bee kicking around the idea of SBR'ing the Draco today, then someone suggested putting a Vz58 folding stock on it. Guess what I happened to have lying around in the spare parts bin?

IMG_4689_zps556b7212.jpg

Yep, a Czechoslovak Vz58 sidefolding stock; so I mocked it up to see if it is worth the $200/several month wait for the Form 1 to be processed and a Tax Stamp to be issued. What do you think?

IMG_4697_zps644f49aa.jpg

IMG_4700_zpse79423ba.jpg

Again, this is just a mock-up, so no Federal laws are being broken; but what would be required after getting the Tax Stamp would be tapping the rear of the trunnion (STS!) for the M12x1.0 bolt that mounts the stock then notching the side for the anti-rotation lug (STS?).

And that is a Hungarian 20-round tanker mag which makes it closer to the AIMR clone the Draco is based off of.

Cheers! M2

These guys:

http://www.texascustomholsters.com/

I ordered from them several months and and they delivered promptly, I just drug my ass in installing.

Actually, in having it installed. Fitting it as designed by my knee would have been too confining for my longer than the average bear's legs in a 328i.

Once I determined to install it under the steering column, I knew I was out of my league as I didn't want to drill holes into things I couldn't see.

They custom fit it to the weapon, in my case an XD-s. Leather holster, plastic spacer for room for the hand to make a draw, padded insert to protect the car from the plastic.

Me likey...

Edited by brickhistory

Guestion for a first time buyer

I've shot a Glock, XD, and SW M&P40. I like how the M&P40 felt in my hand, and how it shot, and looking at it as a first purchase. I like the stance behind a .40 (better knockdown vs. a 9mm, but more ammo compared to a .45/recoil).

Alongside, for a home defense shotgun, I've been looking into purchasing a Semi-Auto Shotgun. Don't like the idea of the pumps when I can just keep pulling the trigger. I've been researching either a Mossberg 930, Remington 11-87, or Benelli M2 or M4.

Any advice from the dudes in the know?

Edited by Torch

Semiauto shotguns can be very selective WRT what ammo will cycle the action reliably. The round that gives best reliability may not be the best choice, or even a *good* choice, for home defense (i.e. birdshot rounds).

Having said that, I've never heard anything negative (aside from price) about the Benelli semi shotguns.

Good call on the M&P. The gun that feels good in your hand is almost always easier to shoot well than the gun that feels like you're holding a brick.

I've shot a Glock, XD, and SW M&P40. I like how the M&P40 felt in my hand, and how it shot, and looking at it as a first purchase. I like the stance behind a .40 (better knockdown vs. a 9mm, but more ammo compared to a .45/recoil).

Alongside, for a home defense shotgun, I've been looking into purchasing a Semi-Auto Shotgun. Don't like the idea of the pumps when I can just keep pulling the trigger. I've been researching either a Mossberg 930, Remington 11-87, or Benelli M2 or M4.

Handgun--any of the ones you mentioned is a solid choice. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with and shoot the best.

Shotgun--I think a pump for primary home defense is still the way to go (less to go wrong with the pump). But if you really want to spend the money on an auto, it's tough to beat a Benelli M4.

Couple recs for the handgun, think about features that you want with the gun...external safety (i.e. manual switch, like the M9), safety trigger, built in mount for flashlight or laser pointer, indication that the weapon is cocked, or indication there is a round in the chamber? Comfort is definitely the number one factor but if you are between two guns think about what else you want the weapon to have. For me since I carry my weapon (Ruger SR40C) almost every minute I'm not in uniform, all the things I mentioned above my weapon has but the main thing the pushed me to this one was the external safety and the orange flag that pops up when there is a round in the chamber.

As for the shotguns anyone else with experience, advice would also be appreciated, I'm in the same boat.

Handgun: everything you mentioned is good. Get something you're willing to buy ammo for. I also strongly recommend buying a companion trainer, a .22 that operates similarly to your primary. The skills transfer well and the cost (usually) of .22 allows you to get tons of practice per range trip.

Shotgun: Semi-autos are for the birds. Get a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 and mount a high powered flashlight to the front. 12ga loaded with a home defense progression that's appropriate for your tactical plan. If you must go with a semi, be sure you know where the exhaust is so you don't cover it with your hand while under duress. It hurts.

I have a Mossberg 930 for 3Gun and a 500 (with a side saddle) for HD along with my AR. Either way, put a light on it so you can see what you are aiming at. BTW, I personally believe if you are going to shoot an intruder in your house, shot to stop, not annoy--aka buckshot. This is what I have loaded (not my review...lol):

(I don't have any kids so I'm not worried about other people in other rooms)

As for the 930 shooting--great price and only issue I had is really really light birdshot. Any buck, slug and all 7 1/2 1100 fps+ birdshot cycles great. But I clean the crap out of it every time a shoot it and spray silicon spray on the piston. I have heard people having problems with the 930 so I go overboard but I haven't. The SPX is a good gun. Only mod I would recommend is getting an oversize safety to be able to find it fast when the pressure situation happens. (Both my 930 and 500 have them-easy to install). Of course throwing on a longer mag tube gives you more rounds (min has an 8 round mag tube).

Edited by FreudianSlip

I have heard people having problems with the 930 so I go overboard but I haven't. The SPX is a good gun.

From the reviews I've seen from various websites, the issues you mention are from the earlier models which Mossberg has since corrected, so the ones manufactured more recently are supposed to be solid. Again, I haven't gotten to put hands on, so YMMV.

Is the main debate between Pump vs. Semi for HD based on loading/feeding issues or just the instant intimidation factor when you chamber a shell? Personally, I don't want to have to deal with a shoot - pump - shoot scenario, instead I'm more a fan of just pulling the trigger til they're down. However again, if the main drawback is a loading/feeding problem, that is a valid point.

Is the main debate between Pump vs. Semi for HD based on loading/feeding issues or just the instant intimidation factor when you chamber a shell? Personally, I don't want to have to deal with a shoot - pump - shoot scenario, instead I'm more a fan of just pulling the trigger til they're down. However again, if the main drawback is a loading/feeding problem, that is a valid point.

Dude, no offense, but I think you need to do some serious research on home defense and firearms.

If somebody has broken into your home while you are there, under most State laws (disclaimer--I am not an attorney, so research your own State laws), you can reasonably (and legally) assume they are there to do you harm...so why would you ever want to 'intimidate' someone who is already trying to cause you and your family harm? Would you ever conceal carry a weapon without a round in the chamber, suggesting that there is an 'intimidation' factor of racking the slide to charge the weapon...and at the time when you will need it most? If you are serious about home defense, you would not want to limit yourself by not being as prepared as possible, ie waiting to charge your weapon until the person could see/hear you.

Some semi-auto shotguns have been known to not reliably cycle (I have a Saiga 12, trust me, I know), and the ones that are known to work really well (the Benilli, for example) cost quite a bit. A solidly maintained pump shotgun rarely fails and can be cycled quite quickly with training and practice.

My advice: Do some solid research on home defense with and without a shotgun, talk to folks who practice home defense, and then if you chose to and are ready, buy pump shotgun with a solid reputation--hard to go wrong with a Remington 870 IMO. Later on as you learn and train/practice more, you may feel more comfortable spending the extra money ($350 vs $2K) in upgrading to an auto. Of course, it's your call.

• Upvote 3